New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

chris1234 wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:41 pm
chris1234 wrote:One thing that looked good about the Bolt v2 was how well the rerouting worked. If you go the wrong way it instantly puts you back on course using a logical route.

Compared to Garmin Edge which tells you to do a u-turn for five minutes then ends up sending you back to the start. Garmin nav is just terrible and I am considering switching to Wahoo just for this.
What's so great about that? Just go back to where you made the wrong turn. The Garmin tells you pretty quickly when you go off course. Who wants to be rerouted onto a road that's bad for cycling?
Having to slow down and stop to do a u-turn is annoying, may not be easy on some roads and interrupts the flow of the ride. No one wants to be rerouted onto a road that is bad for cycling but unless you live in a part of the world where there is only one good road for cycling this strikes me as a bit of a strange argument.

If a cycle computer advertises rerouting as a feature, you can bet I am going to be a bit frustrated if the rerouting amounts to "turn around and get back on the route".
I will always go back to the place I made the wrong turn because that is the route I want to follow. Why wants to be rerouted onto a busy highway with no shoulder? To me, rerouting is a useless feature on a bike; great while driving a car though.

All my cycling routes get planned on RWGPS. I'd never use the cycle computer to plan a route.

Doesn't Garmin use Open Street Map? I think the Garmin maps are more up to date, plus you can install Open Street Maps on the Garmin and switch between them. If I'm lost I'll whip out the phone and look at Google Maps. The small screen in the cycling computer makes using a map difficult at best.

chris1234

by chris1234

MikeD wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:39 pm

I will always go back to the place I made the wrong turn because that is the route I want to follow. Why wants to be rerouted onto a busy highway with no shoulder? To me, rerouting is a useless feature on a bike; great while driving a car though.

All my cycling routes get planned on RWGPS. I'd never use the cycle computer to plan a route.

Doesn't Garmin use Open Street Map? I think the Garmin maps are more up to date, plus you can install Open Street Maps on the Garmin and switch between them. If I'm lost I'll whip out the phone and look at Google Maps. The small screen in the cycling computer makes using a map difficult at best.
Again, there are often more than the three options you seem to be suggesting:
- the route you are on
- "a busy highway"
- "a road that's bad for cycling"

It's fine you feel that way, many people do not hence the reason there are so many posts on the internet complaining how bad Garmin rerouting is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoPho

by MoPho

So I "bit the bolt" and picked up a v2 today. Only one short mid-day 26 mile ride with it so far but first impressions are positive. I ran my v1 simultaniously and mileage and elevation were almost spot on with each other (1/10th of a mile difference and 20ft), can't say which one was more accurate.
Definitely much slower to boot up, but that is pretty much a non issue as someone noted earlier I tend to start it up before I am ready to roll anyway, so it's very rare I am waiting on it. I am sure all the maps and bigger storage are not helping this.
Screen is so much clearer and the color HR/PWR is great, in bright sunlight with polarized glasses on the screen looks great, BUT in low light and in the shade or through a tunnel it is very hard to see, the backlighting is very weak and dissapointing. Seems they optimized the polarization of the screen for direct lighting as it reaches peak brightness with polarized glasses straight on in the mount, but in low light the polarization makes it darker (if you turn the device a bit it becomes very bright, but that is not how you look at it in the mount). Will have to see how bad it is on a late day or early morning ride
Additionally, the satin finish screen is great great most of the time, but in certain conditions/direction the glare on it was pretty bad.
Text messages are the main reason I decided to upgrade, my wife constantly texts me about nonsense when I am out on rides so I need to be able to decipher what to ignor or not LOL, I could barely read the text on v1 but v2 is a good improvement on legibility, but I still wish it was even better as the text is too small. Hopefully they make a way to zoom in or enlarge text in future updates.
I've never used maps on my devices and it was not really a selling point for me but I did play with it a little by having it navigatge me home, it worked well and per the discussion above it did keep trying to route me onto a bike trail and away from the main road I was on, in addition I noticed there were a bunch of highlighted roads that were defintiely the bike friendly roads, so I am assuming that roads that are bike friendly isbaked into the mapping decisions :noidea:
Last edited by MoPho on Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MoPho

by MoPho

double post

Floseph

by Floseph

Does anyone else experience that there are no longer any notifications from your phone displayed on the Bolt V2?

I updated my phone recently to the latest iOS and the Bolt is up to date as well. I don't get texts, calls or whatever else the Bolt used to display. The settings seem to be fine.

I guess Wahoo needs to catch up on the latest iOS...

MoPho

by MoPho

Floseph wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 am
Does anyone else experience that there are no longer any notifications from your phone displayed on the Bolt V2?

I updated my phone recently to the latest iOS and the Bolt is up to date as well. I don't get texts, calls or whatever else the Bolt used to display. The settings seem to be fine.

I was receiving text messages yesterday with both iOS and v2 up to date. With my v1 it would lose connection with my phone every once in a while and I would have to unpair and and then re-pair the device, it started happening more frequently after one of the iPhone updates

MikeD

by MikeD

Can anyone comment on GPS performance of the new Bolt vs. Garmin? In another WW thread, there was a discussion about the Wahoo being susceptible to RF interference from a GoPro mounted under the Wahoo, poor tracking, etc. Headlights can produce RF interference as well. There was a YouTube video I saw showing the negative effect of a GoPro on the Wahoo. I'd like to get a Wahoo, but if the GPS performance is inferior to the Garmin, I'm not interested.

MoPho

by MoPho

MikeD wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm
Can anyone comment on GPS performance of the new Bolt vs. Garmin? In another WW thread, there was a discussion about the Wahoo being susceptible to RF interference from a GoPro mounted under the Wahoo, poor tracking, etc. Headlights can produce RF interference as well. There was a YouTube video I saw showing the negative effect of a GoPro on the Wahoo. I'd like to get a Wahoo, but if the GPS performance is inferior to the Garmin, I'm not interested.
I've read that can happen with Garmin units too.

I use a Cycliq Fly12 under my Wahoo and have not noticed any issues. :noidea:

MikeD

by MikeD

MoPho wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm
I've read that can happen with Garmin units too.

I use a Cycliq Fly12 under my Wahoo and have not noticed any issues. :noidea:

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6juJ5SkzM

I've not seen this with the Garmin. Source?

wooglins

by wooglins

MoPho wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 am
So I "bit the bolt" and picked up a v2 today. Only one short mid-day 26 mile ride with it so far but first impressions are positive. I ran my v1 simultaniously and mileage and elevation were almost spot on with each other (1/10th of a mile difference and 20ft), can't say which one was more accurate.
Definitely much slower to boot up, but that is pretty much a non issue as someone noted earlier I tend to start it up before I am ready to roll anyway, so it's very rare I am waiting on it. I am sure all the maps and bigger storage are not helping this.
Screen is so much clearer and the color HR/PWR is great, in bright sunlight with polarized glasses on the screen looks great, BUT in low light and in the shade or through a tunnel it is very hard to see, the backlighting is very weak and dissapointing. Seems they optimized the polarization of the screen for direct lighting as it reaches peak brightness with polarized glasses straight on in the mount, but in low light the polarization makes it darker (if you turn the device a bit it becomes very bright, but that is not how you look at it in the mount). Will have to see how bad it is on a late day or early morning ride
Additionally, the satin finish screen is great great most of the time, but in certain conditions/direction the glare on it was pretty bad.
Text messages are the main reason I decided to upgrade, my wife constantly texts me about nonsense when I am out on rides so I need to be able to decipher what to ignor or not LOL, I could barely read the text on v1 but v2 is a good improvement on legibility, but I still wish it was even better as the text is too small. Hopefully they make a way to zoom in or enlarge text in future updates.
I've never used maps on my devices and it was not really a selling point for me but I did play with it a little by having it navigatge me home, it worked well and per the discussion above it did keep trying to route me onto a bike trail and away from the main road I was on, in addition I noticed there were a bunch of highlighted roads that were defintiely the bike friendly roads, so I am assuming that roads that are bike friendly isbaked into the mapping decisions :noidea:
Are you sure its nonsense... ;-)

wooglins

by wooglins

MoPho wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:41 am
oops

MoPho

by MoPho

MikeD wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm

Check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6juJ5SkzM
I had seen that. With my v1 I had done my usual friday ride recently both with and without the Fly12 on the bike and there was no difference in the recording. And I have never seen any wildly off recordings in the couple of years I've used the combination.
I just tried doing the test shown in that video with my v2 and there was no difference in reception. Maybe it can happen intermittenly?
I've not seen this with the Garmin. Source?
I don't recall where I had read it originally, but I just did a google search and https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... terference
There were also a bunch of posts and videos with Garmins and GoPros but they were older, so maybe improved? https://www.roadbikereview.com/threads/ ... ro.361613/

--------------------------
MoPho wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:29 pm
Floseph wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:43 am

I was receiving text messages yesterday with both iOS and v2 up to date. With my v1 it would lose connection with my phone every once in a while and I would have to unpair and and then re-pair the device, it started happening more frequently after one of the iPhone updates
I take it back, today no text messages. I had to unpair then re-pair again and it worked (for now) as with the v1

--------------------------

wooglins wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm

Are you sure its nonsense... ;-)
Haha... :noidea:

C36

by C36

MoPho wrote: Screen is so much clearer and the color HR/PWR is great, in bright sunlight with polarized glasses on the screen looks great, BUT in low light and in the shade or through a tunnel it is very hard to see, the backlighting is very weak and dissapointing. Seems they optimized the polarization of the screen for direct lighting as it reaches peak brightness with polarized glasses straight on in the mount, but in low light the polarization makes it darker (if you turn the device a bit it becomes very bright, but that is not how you look at it in the mount).
That’s an interesting feedback, the most detailed so far on the screen visibility, did you have the opportunity to ride with non polarised lenses? Have both and curious if significantly better with one or the other.

My #1 criteria (once all the gps / power data basics is there) is readability and yet to find something that competes with pure black /white screens. I had a (very quick) look at a Karoo2 and I wasn’t sure how it could be properly readable under the light conditions we had.

- - - - - - - - -
Supersix evo2HM : 5.71Kg

Tiaxx

by Tiaxx

For what it's worth, i took it for a ride this week for the first time, and i'm trully amazed by the screen quality. I wear photocromatic lenses by Oakley, and never had any issues when looking down at the screen. Shade, direct sunlight, you name it, i could always see the numbers and colors on the screen perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

Tiaxx wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 am
For what it's worth, i took it for a ride this week for the first time, and i'm trully amazed by the screen quality. I wear photocromatic lenses by Oakley, and never had any issues when looking down at the screen. Shade, direct sunlight, you name it, i could always see the numbers and colors on the screen perfectly.
Great information 👌