New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leaked

by leaked

- $300 USD price point
- Flat style colored screen similar to roam
- More vibrant colors and more color usage in UI.

Image removed 19.5. by nmx, please don't post leaked pictures any more directly to WW, we are full of work and are tired of processing removal requests. If you still want to do please only post a link or whatever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Screen to body ratio looks terrible, I still don’t get how they can make crazy thin smartphones with little to no bezel but a gps bike computer still needs to look like a nokia brick.

upacs

by upacs

robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:06 am
Screen to body ratio looks terrible, I still don’t get how they can make crazy thin smartphones with little to no bezel but a gps bike computer still needs to look like a nokia brick.
They'll fix that in the picture on the box... again...

synchronicity

by synchronicity

robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:06 am
Agree. The current bolt is better in that regard.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Robius

by Robius

I wouldn't want to look at this thing all day long lmao. Yo Wahoo, It's 2021.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

robbosmans

by robbosmans

fixed it

Image removed 19.5. by nmx, please don't post leaked pictures any more directly to WW, we are full of work and are tired of processing removal requests. If you still want to do please only post a link or whatever.

splzd

by splzd

There's almost nothing I care less about than the size of the bezels. On the wahoo the space around the screens is used for the LEDs. On smartphones it's kind of funny that everyone wants thin bezels but puts a huge rubber cover around the whole phone to protect the screen from shattering everytime the phone falls down.
Despite that: I'm not entirely sure, the picture shows a new Bolt. The Roam got new, flatter buttons not long ago and looks very much like that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Separate LEDs are pointless. Increase the screen-size and recreate them in software. They weren’t able to do this before because of the monochrome displays on the original ELEMNT and ELEMNT BOLT.

RDY

by RDY

robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 am
fixed it
WahooBolt21.png
They will tell you they can't make it like this because if it falls the screen is more likely to suffer damage. Yeah but there's a lanyard and it weighs so little damage is unlikely from a side impact anyway.

What they actually mean is that a smaller screen is cheaper, and a larger bezel is cheaper and easier to design and produce.

I imagine they're very keen to keep BoM under $50-60.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

splzd wrote: Despite that: I'm not entirely sure, the picture shows a new Bolt. The Roam got new, flatter buttons not long ago and looks very much like that.
Thin bezels also don’t mean easier to break the screen because the glass almost always already covers the entire front. Thin bezels only have advantages.
This is not a roam, the buttons are different:

synchronicity

by synchronicity

One of the reasons I got the bolt was that it had smaller bezels than the roam.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

upacs

by upacs

splzd wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:08 am
There's almost nothing I care less about than the size of the bezels.
Most people (including myself) want the smallest device possible, with the largest screen possible. Ergo, thin bezels. I would say this rationale is entirely logical.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

On my wish list is a faster processor (and startup/shutdown) for better button response, as well as on-the-fly rerouting -- get a bit lost on a gravel ride, and it's going to be a tough go to get back on track.

Also, better tactile response for the side buttons. If you ride with full-finger gloves, more of a click response would help a lot.

splzd

by splzd

robbosmans wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am
This is not a roam, the buttons are different:

This was exactly my point: There is e newer version of the Roam with flatter Buttons that look precisely like in the first picture. Would be logical to use the overhauled buttons on the new Bolt, too. But your picture shows the 'old' version of the Roam.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

splzd

by splzd

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:16 am
Separate LEDs are pointless. Increase the screen-size and recreate them in software. They weren’t able to do this before because of the monochrome displays on the original ELEMNT and ELEMNT BOLT.
In my opinion they're not pointless at all. They're readable regardless of the conditions. Because they're bright, the screen doesn't have to be illuminated all the time, which saves power. I use them a lot and am quite happy with the way they're implemented.