New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MoPho

by MoPho

C36 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:34 am

That’s an interesting feedback, the most detailed so far on the screen visibility, did you have the opportunity to ride with non polarised lenses? Have both and curious if significantly better with one or the other.

My #1 criteria (once all the gps / power data basics is there) is readability and yet to find something that competes with pure black /white screens. I had a (very quick) look at a Karoo2 and I wasn’t sure how it could be properly readable under the light conditions we had.
I have not ridden with non polarized lenses yet, been using Oakley mirrored lenses that are pretty dark so YMMV. Having spent more time with it now, I would say the screen is amazing most of the time, it really pops and is very clear. As noted in the darker shade areas with the dark glasses the screen appears somewhat dim without backlight on and with it on it's only moderately better, it's still readable though in these conditions. I have a very dark tunnel to ride through to get to most of my rides and inside the tunnel with glasses on I can't see the screen at all w/o backlight on, with it on I can just make it out. If I take my glasses off I can see it ok with backlight on. But this is a pretty extreme situation that one would not spend a lot of time in, but the backlight would be my only complaint aside from the text messaging/phone connection randomly dropping like the V1 (if it continues to happen). Perhaps with more time in the dark my eyes would adjust better but the v1 was better in this situation. I have not had the chance to ride at early morning, sunset or dusk yet and probably won't get the chance for some time so I can't say how it would be in those situations. Overall very pleased with it.

Phone snap, but pretty much how the screen looks mid afternoon light
Attachments
IMG_0702.jpg
Last edited by MoPho on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Ace Hardware has bolts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

MoPho wrote:
C36 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:34 am

That’s an interesting feedback, the most detailed so far on the screen visibility, did you have the opportunity to ride with non polarised lenses? Have both and curious if significantly better with one or the other.

My #1 criteria (once all the gps / power data basics is there) is readability and yet to find something that competes with pure black /white screens. I had a (very quick) look at a Karoo2 and I wasn’t sure how it could be properly readable under the light conditions we had.
I have not ridden with non polarized lenses yet, been using Oakley mirrored lenses that are pretty dark so YMMV. Having spent more time with it now, I would say the screen is amazing most of the time, it really pops and is very clear. As noted in the darker shade areas with the dark glasses the screen appears somewhat dim without backlight on and with it on it's only moderately better, it's still readable though in these conditions. I have a very dark tunnel to ride through to get to most of my rides and inside the tunnel with glasses on I can't see the screen at all w/o backlight on, with it on I can just make it out. If I take my glasses off I can see it ok with backlight on. But this is a pretty extreme situation that one would not spend a lot of time in, but the backlight would be my only complaint aside from the text messaging/phone connection randomly dropping like the V1 (if it continues to happen). Perhaps with more time in the dark my eyes would adjust better but the v1 was better in this situation. I have not had the chance to ride at early morning, sunset or dusk yet and probably won't get the chance for some time so I can't say how it would be in those situations. Overall very pleased with it.

Phone snap, but pretty much how the screen looks mid afternoon light
Thanks, quite positive then!

- - - - - - - - -
Supersix evo2HM : 5.71Kg

usr

by usr

I'd be genuinely interested in the technical background of the 64 colors limitation (8 on the Roam). Not that I'd consider it a significant drawback, I just fail to understand: back in the day, when kids my age would seem to know everything about the 4 out of 16 colors of CGA, the 16 out of 64 of EGA to the mindboggling full 256 of VGA (more than you'd ever need we thought) it was all about framebuffer memory: the screens were driven from an analog signal, but the framebuffer feeding the DAC was only so big, the number of colors was a memory constraint. This couldn't be further from the truth with the Wahoos, each one of them probably contains more memory than the entirety of all EGA cards produced together. So what's driving the limit? Is it something inherent to the transflective approach of the display (getting by with less signal "wires" might allow better contrast)? Or just a component hookup issue? ("we'd need to switch module interconnects to a heavier, more expensive class"). Any ideas?

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

usr wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:54 pm
I'd be genuinely interested in the technical background of the 64 colors limitation (8 on the Roam). Not that I'd consider it a significant drawback, I just fail to understand: back in the day, when kids my age would seem to know everything about the 4 out of 16 colors of CGA, the 16 out of 64 of EGA to the mindboggling full 256 of VGA (more than you'd ever need we thought) it was all about framebuffer memory: the screens were driven from an analog signal, but the framebuffer feeding the DAC was only so big, the number of colors was a memory constraint. This couldn't be further from the truth with the Wahoos, each one of them probably contains more memory than the entirety of all EGA cards produced together. So what's driving the limit? Is it something inherent to the transflective approach of the display (getting by with less signal "wires" might allow better contrast)? Or just a component hookup issue? ("we'd need to switch module interconnects to a heavier, more expensive class"). Any ideas?
It's likely a limitation of the display technology. I'm guessing they are using memory-in-pixel displays, which are designed for low power as opposed to more traditional LCDs that require them to be updated constantly. As their name suggests, each pixel has memory to store its state. In some displays like the JDI LPM027M128B (possibly what was used in the Roam), each primary color of each pixel has just 1 bit of memory to either turn them on or off, so it supports just 8 colors. The Roam can cheat to display more colors by dithering though. For example, orange is displayed using a checkerboard pattern of yellow and red.

Something like the Sharp LS021B7DD02 (possibly used in the Bolt V2) uses 2 bits per primary color per pixel. One bit of each primary color controls 1/3 of the area, and the other bit controls the other 2/3.

Theoritically, these types of displays can support more colors by dividing the pixels into even more subpixels, but that would increase power consumption and cost. Not only would the circuitry need to be more complicated, but the additional circuitry in the display would block some light, which would make the display dimmer without a more powerful backlight. It's similar to the reason why higher resolution displays consume more power than lower resolution ones.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Nice to see that I'm not the only one around here from the CGA era. :lol:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

usr

by usr

dooglehead2 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:49 am
It's likely a limitation of the display technology. I'm guessing they are using memory-in-pixel displays, which are designed for low power as opposed to more traditional LCDs that require them to be updated constantly.
Thanks, would have never guessed that. When you are coming from a binary display, adding colors subpixel by subpixel makes will feel natural. I wonder if the Roam keeps a "white" subpixel? Could be totally worth it for transflective. Or a combination of bandaccept/bandreject subpixels in the more than one bit per color case. This basically means that my day is ruined, will be completely incapable of stopping the theorizing/researching once it has begun 😂

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I gotta say I am super fed up with the device and its current state of software.
The fact that the start up takes as long as the one of the previous model is not optimal.
The fact that it loses connection to my Garmin HR Belt and my DuoTrap speedsensor every 30 seconds (LITERALLY!), which reduces average speed and distance, is really really annoying.
Also, it just can't happen to find my Quarq DZero PM on my Gravel bike, which was successfully connected to 3 other ELEMNT devices.
I don't want to be beta testing this!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

RDY

by RDY

It remains a total mess.

Pre-loaded routes, hands down better than Garmin.

Most other general purpose stuff, it's shockingly bad atm. It's so slow. At everything.

Tiaxx

by Tiaxx

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 pm
I gotta say I am super fed up with the device and its current state of software.
The fact that the start up takes as long as the one of the previous model is not optimal.
The fact that it loses connection to my Garmin HR Belt and my DuoTrap speedsensor every 30 seconds (LITERALLY!), which reduces average speed and distance, is really really annoying.
Also, it just can't happen to find my Quarq DZero PM on my Gravel bike, which was successfully connected to 3 other ELEMNT devices.
I don't want to be beta testing this!
That's weird. I'm not experiencing any of those issues. HR works perfectly and i have a Quarq Dfour and since i paired it for the 1st time, it always recognized it and never experienced a drop off.
Maybe you have a faulty unit?

Algreen

by Algreen

Sharing my experience riding with bolt v2 for a week. Coming from an Apple Watch with Strava app. Been very happy with size, weight, readability, and connectivity. Haven't had any of the issues others described, except the startup time is ridiculously slow. I learned to activate prior to rolling out. Connects to my Polar HR fine. Hope others have positive experience.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Update from my side: Smooth af. By far more responsive, quicker processing and great readibilty comapred to the V1, heck, i dont even wanna compare it to the old Garmin stuff.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Yep, a few weeks in and it's brilliant. No connection issues, no dropping connection. Mapping works perfectly and so does rerouted corrections.

Great battery life and that screen is gorgeous

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

Same experience here - all working fine. Device paired with all sensors across my bikes perfectly. All works well during rides, no dropped connections etc. The screen is great for me, no issues with visibility; it's very similar to the Roam. Colored data fields are a good extra, but the best upgrade are the buttons which are far easier to push than on the Roam. I don't use the re-routing option though, so cannot comment on that.

cdrx

by cdrx

Just received mine. Did any of you found how to manage favorites locations through the app?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com