New Wahoo Bolt replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

splzd

by splzd

Weaklegs wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 am
We are not spoil...you can still be in the 90s and drive old civic, ...
To stay in your picture: My suggestion wasn't to stick to a 90s Civic, but to a 2015 VW Golf.

milanv

by milanv

To stay with the topic and Wahoo...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

splzd

by splzd

milanv wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:30 pm
To stay with the topic and Wahoo...
Maybe it doesn't look like it, but this part is about wahoo. The question is: What to expect from an upcoming Bolt 2. Will it it just be a minor evolution or a real upgrade? Main point being the screen-to-body-ratio.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I'm a Garmin person because it's just what I've been using forever.

But I've been waiting for Wahoo or any other competitor to come out with something exceptional. Simply because I think some more competition in the head unit space would be good. The basic things I value are long battery life, fast boot-up / GPS lock, fast maps loading, reliability maintaining a connection with sensors (eek), and looks fashionable in an incognito way. Those in the Garmin ecosystem may find that the x20 series was hardly any of these things, but the latest x30-series delivered on many fronts.

It would be really nice to see the next-gen Wahoo match or exceed the 530 in every one of these aspects, and more.

milanv

by milanv

maxim809 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:22 pm

But I've been waiting for Wahoo or any other competitor to come out with something exceptional. Simply because I think some more competition in the head unit space would be good. The basic things I value are long battery life, fast boot-up / GPS lock, fast maps loading, reliability maintaining a connection with sensors (eek), and looks fashionable in an incognito way. Those in the Garmin ecosystem may find that the x20 series was hardly any of these things, but the latest x30-series delivered on many fronts.

It would be really nice to see the next-gen Wahoo match or exceed the 530 in every one of these aspects, and more.
+ navigation - basic function for me riding on new roads.

tomtom

by tomtom

maxim809 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:22 pm

+1 for me. I was hoping for that too....but Wahoo seems lazy in every aspect (imo it was the same with the introduction of the Roam) and that behavier is already stated, confirmed and discussed by DC Rainmaker. I think Wahoo customers are less critical towards innovation than Garmin ones :mrgreen: ? But as far as I can judge from using the Bolt for more than a year (in between the awful 820 jump towards the great 830) I can confirm that using the Bolt is more hasslefree/easier than using a/the Garmin 830. But the 830 can do so, so, so much more that the balance is far, far, far in advantage for the 830. Still hoping that omens are deceiving and Wahoo comes also with smashing new sofware when introducing the new Bolt!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

usr

by usr

The most interesting "fuel" for speculations about the "new Bolt" would be details about the underlying operating system of the Rival watch. Elemnt, Bolt and Roam were forked off from a now rather ancient version of Wear OS/Android Wear/whatever it was called are the time (this is what gave them the upper hand in Bluetooth uplink reliance over both Garmin who roll their own, and those building on "full size" Android that was never intended to be run as a "connectable gadget" hosted by an actual smartphone). Is the Rival, which isn't marketed as an "Android Watch" just as Bolt/Roam aren't, based on the same ancient fork as Bolt/Roam, is it based on a far more recent fork or did they start doing something entirely unrelated to Android and it's underlying Linux/Java mashup? Whatever it is, I'd expect "new Bolt" to run on the same base. At least if the Rival isn't just some third party cooperation where Wahoo is mostly providing sports credibility. Any Rival owners able to comment?

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

The Bolt 2 (and Roam 2) will run the same boltapp.apk as the current Wahoo bike computers. There will just be an updated UI to go with it. I assume the android version it runs on will be the same.

usr

by usr

Thanks, dooglehead2! Unsurprisingly, my idle speculations have now been substituted by pressing questions such as "is that knowledge or just speculation and if it's the former: how?".

A clear indication that I should spent more time on the road!

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

It's not speculation.

splzd

by splzd

Very interesting. Will the new UI be available for the older models, especially the ROAM?
In my opinion the biggest room for improvement is the software. Boot- and GPS-lock-times are slow, synchronising more than 100 segments regularly doesn't work, the companion app is slow and full of bugs....

glepore

by glepore

My biggest complaint about the existing Bolt is that each time Apple significantly updates their software, it takes a week or two, sometimes more, of funky Bolt synching activities before wahoo catches up. To their credit, they do, but having to "do the dance" of figuring out which sequence of opening the app, turning on the Bolt etc gets a ride to sych is annoying.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

glepore wrote:My biggest complaint about the existing Bolt is that each time Apple significantly updates their software, it takes a week or two, sometimes more, of funky Bolt synching activities before wahoo catches up. To their credit, they do, but having to "do the dance" of figuring out which sequence of opening the app, turning on the Bolt etc gets a ride to sych is annoying.
this

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Confirmed with my LBS (NJ, USA) that they're receiving a shipment in two to three weeks. They know nothing other than it will have a color screen.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:Confirmed with my LBS (NJ, USA) that they're receiving a shipment in two to three weeks. They know nothing other than it will have a color screen.
LOL!! 2-3 weeks? Someone didn’t get their order in on time......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk