Ultegra 8070 olive

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amoore

by amoore

Hello,

Need to disconnect my brake lines as the cables route through the headset so changing
the headset bearings mean disconnecting the brake lines.

As I am only disconnecting the brake lines can I reuse the current olive that is on the line
or do I need to change the olive to a new one?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geraint

by Geraint

You need a new one

snaxez

by snaxez

if you connect to the same lever, it might be fine, but new olive and pin is allways safe way to go

amoore

by amoore

Thanks, will bear that in mind. Additionally, the front derailleur trim has stopped working on my Di2. When shift to big and big the trim you can do from the lever to move it over slightly no longer works.

Any ideas? Have charged, reconnected cables, before it stopped working didn't make any adjustments it's just gone as a function.

hurfdurf

by hurfdurf

I've reused it before without any downsides (always reconnecting the hose back to the same levers). I can't imagine having to trim the hose a little bit every time you disconnect the levers (in order to remove the olive)

ms6073

by ms6073

Slight topic drift, but for bikes that have integrated brake hose and next to no excess, what is the technique/process for removing the old olive while leaving the brake hose serviceable?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

ms6073 wrote:Slight topic drift, but for bikes that have integrated brake hose and next to no excess, what is the technique/process for removing the old olive while leaving the brake hose serviceable?
You can try to cut the olive, but you Probably will damage the hose, so you cut it at the olive

Maddie

by Maddie

Ms6073, unfortunately you will have to cut the hose right behind the olive. I don't think there's a way around it. That's why you should install brake hoses with excess. Of course this does not help if the brake hose is already in place.

kode54

by kode54

I've reused olives before and it works most of the time...the second time I use it...I clamp down the bolt a bit more so there.s no leaks due to mis-mate of the olive to the inside seat.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Regularly reuse olives in this scenrio.
Very very very rarely had any issue. (Probably reusing a dozen a year, maybe 5 years since the last one leaked.).

ms6073

by ms6073

Maddie wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Ms6073, unfortunately you will have to cut the hose right behind the olive. I don't think there's a way around it.
Thanks for the reply. Was hoping there was a tool that could be used to crack the olive in half which is essentially what I do now with wire cutters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com