stripping YBN titanium chains?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theStig

by theStig

after running DA chains for a while, I'm switching over to YBN. does anyone know if it's ok to strip the factory grease with mineral spirits? I've read they have some sort of PTFE plating/coating (which also is supposed to bond well with MSW) and didn't want to end up accidentally stripping this off.

thanks in advance!

garbageman

by garbageman

MSW recommends those chains and they recommend degreasing them with odorless mineral spirits and denatured alcohol prior to waxing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cubist

by Cubist

I do the same. Works a dream. Very very durable chains. In my experience MSW will work best after the first two wax intervals.

Be careful as the silver SlLA chain doesn’t have the Ti-N coating. Only the black and gold. Hence the price difference. The silver chains will get noisier just that little quicker. Otherwise they are top quality too.

Absolute black hot grapheme wax however doesn’t adhere well. So don’t buy that but stay with MSW.

theStig

by theStig

garbageman wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:18 am
MSW recommends those chains and they recommend degreasing them with odorless mineral spirits and denatured alcohol prior to waxing.
thank you, thats what i've been doing with my SRAM/DA chains, it just gets so messy. I need to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Cubist wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:40 am
I do the same. Works a dream. Very very durable chains. In my experience MSW will work best after the first two wax intervals.

Be careful as the silver SlLA chain doesn’t have the Ti-N coating. Only the black and gold. Hence the price difference. The silver chains will get noisier just that little quicker. Otherwise they are top quality too.

Absolute black hot grapheme wax however doesn’t adhere well. So don’t buy that but stay with MSW.
thanks for the heads up! your tip led me to read a few WW threads on it, looks like ABGW isn't ready for prime time. Glad I dodged that bullet. MSW has been working great for me.

One thing that puzzles me though, I live in a warmish dry climate, and I routinely put 500-600 miles on a waxed chain without any degradation - no noise, no roughness, no squeaking, no binding or rattling. I hope I'm not doing something wrong.

otnemem

by otnemem

Cubist wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:40 am
It's looking like their wax is pretty crap. I'll stay away from it regardless of chain being used.

kode54

by kode54

The AB graphene wax generally doesn’t last as long as MSW from my experience. Seems like I get 30-40% less mileage out of the AB waxed chain.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

I've used mineral spirits in a jar. Just shake and most of the factory grease will come off. I have another jar of rubbing alcohol to remove the mineral spirits.

Once cleaned and dried, waxing was a piece of cake.

theStig

by theStig

corkycalvin wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:11 am
I've used mineral spirits in a jar. Just shake and most of the factory grease will come off. I have another jar of rubbing alcohol to remove the mineral spirits.

yep that's how i've been cleaning my DA and Sram Red chains.

I made the mistake of sniffing the container to see which one was alcohol and which one was mineral spirits. I'll never do THAT agaiN!

corkycalvin

by corkycalvin

theStig wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:26 am
corkycalvin wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:11 am

yep that's how i've been cleaning my DA and Sram Red chains.

I made the mistake of sniffing the container to see which one was alcohol and which one was mineral spirits. I'll never do THAT agaiN!
Write on the lid, MS for mineral spirits and RA for rubbing alcohol. Problem solved!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

on the jar.
I sometime mix the lids.