Crankset Upgrade - Sram Rival or Shimano GRX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gravel89

by Gravel89

Hi everyone, I want to upgrade the crankset of my Specialized Diverge with Shimano 105 (BSA BN). I found two good offers for these products:

- Shimano GRX 600 46/30 (needs a new front derailleur)
-Sram Rival 12s with DUB (46/33) , it looks really nice and should be compatible with my actual 105 front derailleur

I have no experience with the DUB System, the price ist almost the same, can you help me in choosing? What are the pros from each system?

Thanks!

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Neither would be much of an "upgrade" from 105 and quite pointless IMHO.

Also seems like a bad idea to run chainrings intended only for SRAM flattop chains with an 11 speed chain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Neither. They aren't lighter, only giving you lower gear.

I'd try Sram Dub arms with Gearoop 44/28. That will really drop the weight and lower gear.
viewtopic.php?t=164058

If you can't get Sram Dub crank arms at a reasonable price, try Easton crank systems.

DaveS

by DaveS

What are you trying to accomplish? The grx has more range. That's my main complaint with sram - the puny 13T difference between the chain rings. The grx would need a correction to the chainline - easily done with spacing washers. A new FD isn't needed. I've got two 46/30 grx cranks with the +2.5mm chainline eliminated. I use them with force axs. Right now I'm experimenting with a grx 48/31 and longer 175mm crank arms.

The gearoop chainrings look interesting. Those complaining about compensation shifts need to choose a better time to shift. Wait until pedaling requires a heavier torque or start a climb out of the saddle for awhile, then sit and shift to the little ring. I make very few compensating shifts with a 46/30 or 48/31. I never shift to the little ring until I really need a lower gear.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

DaveS- are you using 2.5mm thick washers between the crank spider and the chainrings to correct the chainline? And I assume you also have to get longer chainring bolts? Do you mind attaching a link(s) on what parts you bought? And I'm also curious if the Dura Ace FD can easily handle a 17T difference. I assume the answer is yes.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Praxis Zayante S 48/32? Lightweight, good looks, subcompact gearing.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:47 am
Praxis Zayante S 48/32? Lightweight, good looks, subcompact gearing.
Nice crankset. But why a proprietary spindle standard?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Like others have asked, what are you after "upgrading"?

What are your priorities? What are your current issues?

Gravel89

by Gravel89

DaveS wrote:What are you trying to accomplish? The grx has more range. That's my main complaint with sram - the puny 13T difference between the chain rings. The grx would need a correction to the chainline - easily done with spacing washers. A new FD isn't needed. I've got two 46/30 grx cranks with the +2.5mm chainline eliminated. I use them with force axs. Right now I'm experimenting with a grx 48/31 and longer 175mm crank arms.

The gearoop chainrings look interesting. Those complaining about compensation shifts need to choose a better time to shift. Wait until pedaling requires a heavier torque or start a climb out of the saddle for awhile, then sit and shift to the little ring. I make very few compensating shifts with a 46/30 or 48/31. I never shift to the little ring until I really need a lower gear.
This, I would like to have a brighter range for Gravel. The actual Praxis Works Alba with a 110 BCD cannot accomodate a 30t chainring. How do you find the grx crankset? The 810 could be an alternative but I cannot find it anywhere. The second reason are spare parts: here are really hard to find in comparison with shimano and sram. How good is Easton?

DaveS

by DaveS

I use McMaster-Carr 98370A015 washers to correct the grx chainline. I've also modified 1/4 inch stainless washers to use in pairs, but it requires some tools to enlarge the holes and grind down the OD. Washers are not held to a tight thickness tolerance, so I measured every one of them to be sure they were all close to the same thickness. Most that I had were close to 2.2mm. The pairs of 1/4 inch washers were closer to 2.5mm.

A Campy chorus 48/32 also works.

Grx cranks can be found, but they're in short supply right now. The 810 only comes in a 48/31. The cheap 610 only comes in a 46/30.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Gravel89 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:22 am
This, I would like to have a brighter range for Gravel. The actual Praxis Works Alba with a 110 BCD cannot accomodate a 30t chainring. How do you find the grx crankset? The 810 could be an alternative but I cannot find it anywhere. The second reason are spare parts: here are really hard to find in comparison with shimano and sram. How good is Easton?
You already have a Praxis Alba installed on the bike? Then moving to a Praxis Zayante with the direct mount chainrings is a no brainer. They come in 48/32. You won't even have to swap bottom brackets. Just inquire about the dust cap spacers you may need.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Rotor crankset with 46/30 direct mount rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Have you considered a Miche Graff Chainset?

They come in 48/32 and 46/30 and would use your existing Hollowtech BB and 105 front mech.
It's also a little lighter than the other options you're considering.

It's 96bcd so you could potentially fit even smaller chainrings on it although whether your front mech would reach that far is another matter.
Last time I checked Cycle Clinic had some of them in stock as well.