Garmin Rally 200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Theguy

by Theguy

Well checking around on internet I couldn't really find any opinion out of the box I mean, apart from different magazines or website that I'm sure were paid in advance, I couldn't find any rider opinon or someone who tried them and can give me a proper review so I would like to know if anyone tried them and if it's worth it to get them.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

I know some people have an issue with DCRainmaker, but he's pretty balanced if a little on the nice side. And I know Shane Miller never holds back on his reviews. In-fact he said there were issues with the SPD-SL version of the Garmin Rally.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mcjonesy wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:33 am
I know some people have an issue with DCRainmaker, but he's pretty balanced if a little on the nice side. And I know Shane Miller never holds back on his reviews. In-fact he said there were issues with the SPD-SL version of the Garmin Rally.

He ran into an offset/drift issue which has nothing to do with which style of pedal body is attached. Rally is almost identical to late revision Vector 3.

I personally have not observed any drift or auto-zero issues with my set like GPLama saw in his tests. One thing I have noticed is they like are very, very quick to "idle" at 0W and slow to "wake" after such a pause. This is noticeably different than the current Vector 3 firmware and I'm assuming the pedals aggressively toggle some kind of half-power mode or something... like auto-start/stop on a modern car.

All-in-all Rally is the most advanced pedal PM on the market and also the most versatile. The power drops/spikes caused by the battery door issue is gone. The battery cap threads in the pedal bodies are now metal. The only hang-up is the price now, but if you want SPD-SL.

gSporco

by gSporco

Any other Garmin Rally users here? Im thinking of buying a set of the Shimano road version and then getting the SPD dummy pedals to swap to my gravel bike.

Im a wahoo elemnt bolt user, hopefully that wont be an issue but I can be swayed to get a Garmin head unit :)

Anyway positive and negative views appreciated
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

jlok

by jlok

gSporco wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 am
Any other Garmin Rally users here? Im thinking of buying a set of the Shimano road version and then getting the SPD dummy pedals to swap to my gravel bike.

Im a wahoo elemnt bolt user, hopefully that wont be an issue but I can be swayed to get a Garmin head unit :)

also check out Garmin forums
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... ng/f/rally
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gSporco

by gSporco

jlok wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:58 am
gSporco wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 am

also check out Garmin forums
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... ng/f/rally
Thank you!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

ThomasBr96

by ThomasBr96

Are there any benefits why one would choose the Garmin Rally pedals over the Favero Assioma Duo's? Other than interchangeable pedal bodies...

jlok

by jlok

Field replaceable batteries; proprietary cable unnecessary.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Alex222

by Alex222

ThomasBr96 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 am
Are there any benefits why one would choose the Garmin Rally pedals over the Favero Assioma Duo's? Other than interchangeable pedal bodies...
Aesthetics, some people are put off by the pods.

usr

by usr

And to compete the list: Garmin has full cycling dynamics, whereas Assioma don't report anything in the platform center offset field.

List of things Assioma have over Rally: rechargeable batteries (they deserve to appear on both sides), official support for oval chainrings (no idea how successful they are at supporting, but they do try, while others don't)

PS: oh, and Favero have dirt cheap bearing replacement if you happen to be one of those people who eat through bearings fast: official kits are cheap enough, and third party are cheaper (assuming equal durability). Garmin apparently can only reasonably be replaced by buying a full body kit.
Last edited by usr on Mon May 17, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

I think PCO is a feature, at most an advantage, with unknown benefit.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

One thing that bugs me about the Assiomas is that the spindle nut doesn't take up all the axial play. The bolt covers have to be torqued down pretty hard to remove the play, and the threads in the pedal body are plastic.

Overall the pod design can be problematic with shoe covers, even ones as thin as VeloToze. For once race, I wore pink VeloToze, and the rolled up lip around the cleat opening rubbed against the pods, leaving "eraser" marks in the same color as my VeloToze on the pods.

The Vector 3 and Rally also have longer pedal threads. I can use the included 2mm washer + another 1mm washer and it still sticks out the other side of my Red AXS crankarms. 3mm in spacers with the Assiomas is cutting it very close.

gSporco

by gSporco

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:16 pm
One thing that bugs me about the Assiomas is that the spindle nut doesn't take up all the axial play. The bolt covers have to be torqued down pretty hard to remove the play, and the threads in the pedal body are plastic.

Overall the pod design can be problematic with shoe covers, even ones as thin as VeloToze. For once race, I wore pink VeloToze, and the rolled up lip around the cleat opening rubbed against the pods, leaving "eraser" marks in the same color as my VeloToze on the pods.

The Vector 3 and Rally also have longer pedal threads. I can use the included 2mm washer + another 1mm washer and it still sticks out the other side of my Red AXS crankarms. 3mm in spacers with the Assiomas is cutting it very close.

@TobinHatesYou, Assuming you own both Garmin and Assioma pedal PM's do you find the Garmin usability/ accuracy a concern.. No matter what I guess we would hear peole have had issues with both.. But curious on your thoughts to a prospective buyer of the new Garmin Pedals? I am a current Quarq AXS PM user and absolutely love it.. I just dont want to buy one for all my bikes, it would be nice to just swap pedals when needed.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ThomasBr96 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 am
The real question is: are they worth just about double the cost of the Assioma? You can buy 2 sets of Assioma for a little more than one set of the Garmin. Are they worth the extra cost?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

gSporco wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:03 pm

@TobinHatesYou, Assuming you own both Garmin and Assioma pedal PM's do you find the Garmin usability/ accuracy a concern.. No matter what I guess we would hear peole have had issues with both.. But curious on your thoughts to a prospective buyer of the new Garmin Pedals? I am a current Quarq AXS PM user and absolutely love it.. I just dont want to buy one for all my bikes, it would be nice to just swap pedals when needed.

My Quarq, V3 and Assioma Duo are all within a watt of each other the vast majority of the time...even at some really short durations where a single spike or differences in filtering can mess with averages.
Attachments
garmin-v3-1.png
garmin-v3-2.png
assioma-duo1.png