Creaking Bottom Bracket - New Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

tl;dr

BB92 is creaking on a new bike. I've never changed a BB before and need some advice.

Long version:

I've recently been experiencing what I believe to be a creaking bottom bracket on my new bike. I have approximately 2000km on the bike, and the noise began after a spirited group ride a few days ago.

I've done all the usual steps of troubleshooting; greasing and torquing the chainring bolts, greasing and tightening peddles (even replaced my Look Keo Blades with Shimano SPD-SL's), re-torquing the seatpost and seat-rail fastener, peddling while standing, readjusting the crank preload (left peddle adjustment on DA 9100), all without a cure. I've isolated it to what I think is the right side of the bottom bracket.

If I unclip the right peddle and peddle lightly with the left, the noise isn't there. If I unclip the left side and peddle lightly with the right, it's there but not at any single point in the rotation. With both feet clipped in and moderate power, the noise is pronounced, but again, at random placed throughout the peddle stroke, if I peddle with both feet clipped in with heavy power, it's there but quieter. If I just coast, there's no noise at all.

All that said, I'm pretty confident it is the right side of the bottom bracket. I plan to remove the bottom bracket this week, but have a few questions.

First, It is a press fit (Shimano BB92)

1. Can I remove and replace the same bottom bracket (does it get damaged in the removal process)?
2. Should I upgrade the bottom bracket since I'm already here?
2A. If yes, what is the recommendation for longevity, performance, and weight weeniness?
3. When reinstalled, what do I need to do to eliminate the creaking?
4. Do I use grease, anti-sieze compound, or epoxy?

Thank you for taking the time to read all of that and for your useful comments!
Last edited by Cannoli on Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ezno

by ezno

I had terrible creaking problems with my trek bb92 so I went with a one piece bbinfinite bottom bracket and the creaking was gone big difference with the one piece. I'm not sure if what you have is one or two-piece

mvcap

by mvcap

Might rule out rear hub just to be sure

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

gurk700

by gurk700

as much as i love shimano, their bb's are crap. Or perhaps they do fine BB's and the crap production of most brands of frames cause the problem.

Get a known to be good, preferably one piece BB for your frame, clean the BB real good, install the bb with loctite retaining compound on parts that touch the frame and you should be good to go.
Hambini is pretty much the best you can get but there are others out there if you don't want to spend a lot of money for the best thing.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I for one think Shimano's are among the least troublesome BBs in the market. It is generally overgreased when shipped and has two-piece yet kinda 'integrated' seal so less smooth yet otherwise pretty reliable when durability and longevity is concerned. It is separated and made up of non-metal materials thus lighter which may prevent of creaking caused by metal-to-metal contact.

BB is often scapegoated for creaking, but in many cases there turns out to be having real causes, especially when your BB has steal bearings and not for shits like BB30 aka OSBB or BB90, neither of them Shimano supports.

Anyway, many people/brands claim you should NOT reuse the same BB if you 'hammer' it to remove from the frame. Perhaps we still shouldn't even if pressunfitted, but I'd not mind. Note if you only want to regrease the bearings you don't need to remove the cups at all. Just remove the bearing shields only.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Thanks for the info fellas. Regarding the rear hub, I've swapped wheelsets and the issue is still there.

While I'm waiting for the BB tools to arrive, I've been researching upgraded bottom brackets. Does anyone have experience with Kogel BBs?

Also, is retaining compound the preferred method? Would a high quality marine grease also work?
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

HenryH

by HenryH

Wouldn't this be a warranty issue?

If the frame is misaligned there is a risk this will be recurring.

Very good video from Peak Torque on YouTube checking a Hambini BB. I would definitely go for one of those myself.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

HenryH wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:58 pm

Very good video from Peak Torque on YouTube checking a Hambini BB. I would definitely go for one of those myself.
Likely yes, but... (see my signature).

HenryH

by HenryH

Cannoli wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm
HenryH wrote:

You only buy bikes from manufacturers known for their questionable quality control? :wink: Not sure I get it?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

HenryH wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm
Cannoli wrote:
HenryH wrote:

You only buy bikes from manufacturers known for their questionable quality control? :wink: Not sure I get it?
Touche! :mrgreen:

It's my CFR that's creaking, and the CFR has a "stop riding" order due to the drop bar issue with MvDP. A warranty claim would be problematic. The creaking just began a few hundred miles ago, after almost a 1000 miles of silent riding. It began after a fast paced group ride where I was putting down some significant power for about an hour. On the cool-down, I noticed an irregular creaking sound throughout the peddle stroke but have isolated it to the right side.

HenryH

by HenryH

Cannoli wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 pm
HenryH wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:03 pm
Cannoli wrote:
HenryH wrote:

Touche! :mrgreen:

It's my CFR that's creaking, and the CFR has a "stop riding" order due to the drop bar issue with MvDP. A warranty claim would be problematic. The creaking just began a few hundred miles ago, after almost a 1000 miles of silent riding. It began after a fast paced group ride where I was putting down some significant power for about an hour. On the cool-down, I noticed an irregular creaking sound throughout the peddle stroke but have isolated it to the right side.
Ah. Didn't know.

Should last a lot longer than 1000 miles, but hopefully you have just been unlucky with a bearing (assuming this is the bearing on the right side that is bust). And that the frame won't cause this problem over and over again.

A friend of mine got an Orbea that starter to creak after a couple of thousand miles. Works fine now, but same thing there. Will be interesting to see if it comes back because a misalignment causes uneven wear over time.

CamW

by CamW

Just to rule everything out, remove your derailleur hanger and make sure all the contact surfaces are well greased. Saw that a few times when working in shops. Its a simple 5 minute check that can save some pain.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

CamW wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:11 pm
Just to rule everything out, remove your derailleur hanger and make sure all the contact surfaces are well greased. Saw that a few times when working in shops. Its a simple 5 minute check that can save some pain.
Thanks for the tip! I'll do that right now!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Couple other things to check, but you say you swapped out your pedals and I am wondering if you cleaned the pedal spindle threads and also the threads in the crank and then grease upon installation. I find many times this is a source of noise as fine grit works its way into the threads from rain or blowing sand but its a simple thing to do. Also if I find it is coming from the BB I will remove the bearings outer seals and flush out the old grease and dirt and then blow it out with compressed air or a wet/dry vacuum. I do the same with wheel bearings as I would rather not remove them if its not required. I see this was mentioned in a post above so its not uncommon. The other thing mentioned was removing the hanger and clean which is a good thing to do as well. Also clean the dropouts front and rear as they can be a noise source as well. Having spare wheels is a great way to troubleshoot I find.
Hope this helps.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Thanks for the additional tips. I double checked the peddles and removed, re-greased, and re-torqued the derailleur hanger. No change.

So I removed the original BB this evening and noticed there was no grease on the cups. Is a dry installation normal? Also, the cup seats on the frame look very clean and smooth except for one spot (on both sides) that looks like a groove. It looks machined/intentional and not like a gouge or anything like that. Again, is this normal?

Once my Park Tool BB press arrives tomorrow, I plan to install the new BB from Kogel. It used aluminum cups. For this, should I use grease or retaining compound? What are the pro's and con's for each? I have no intention of installing dry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com