Lightest 24mm cranks 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

Thejingerr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:30 pm
does campy "25mm " axle count? bearing balls are the same size as normal bb84 bearings. :mrgreen:
campy weight +/- 620gr like dura but cost twice

any concurent 24mm cranks :noidea: ?
Deduction of two 6805s would result in around 580 gr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

ryanw wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 pm
Just buy a PF4130 or PF41DUB BB from C-Bear (around £100) and run whatever cranks you like.

Some people will say that the smaller bearings shall wear faster. Well after 10k+ miles, one of my customers (genuine 400w ftp/turning pro), his BB is still perfect and spinning better than the day it was fitted.
DUB on pf86 with smaller bearings shall wear faster
I believe ride that summer ±7.000 miles (in backpacking format) and bb problem is last what i need
p.s. like gxp/dub sram cranks but can not :|

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Thejingerr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:16 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:30 pm
does campy "25mm " axle count? bearing balls are the same size as normal bb84 bearings. :mrgreen:
campy weight +/- 620gr like dura but cost twice

that weight includes the bearings already, the bb cups are quite abit lighter than dura ace
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

robbosmans

by robbosmans

If I where you I wouldn’t watch to much of the toxic Hambini

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Thejingerr wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:01 am
ryanw wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:38 pm
Just buy a PF4130 or PF41DUB BB from C-Bear (around £100) and run whatever cranks you like.

Some people will say that the smaller bearings shall wear faster. Well after 10k+ miles, one of my customers (genuine 400w ftp/turning pro), his BB is still perfect and spinning better than the day it was fitted.
DUB on pf86 with smaller bearings shall wear faster
I believe ride that summer ±7.000 miles (in backpacking format) and bb problem is last what i need
p.s. like gxp/dub sram cranks but can not :|
there is a way around that, the Praxis M30 thru BB bearing integrates the bb cup with the bearing outer race. this allows the balls to be the same size as a normal PF30/BB30/BB386evo. :beerchug:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

WorkonSunday wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:07 am
there is a way around that, the Praxis M30 thru BB bearing integrates the bb cup with the bearing outer race. this allows the balls to be the same size as a normal PF30/BB30/BB386evo. :beerchug:
allows the balls to be the same size as a normal - WorkonSunday :thumbup: ,
if size of bearing is normal (for pf86) maybe "Praxis M30 thru BB bearing" it is decision ...

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

"this allows the balls to be the same size as a normal PF30/BB30/BB386evo."
Sorry but praxis looks like dual row bearing - not so good idea

Is there 24mm cranks ?

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Thejingerr wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 pm
"this allows the balls to be the same size as a normal PF30/BB30/BB386evo."
Sorry but praxis looks like dual row bearing - not so good idea

Is there 24mm cranks ?
no, it's dual row like Rotor 4130. it's a single row, the outer race is extra deep to provide the press fit the actually bearing is still thin. have a look at their video:
https://praxiscycles.com/product/m30-bb86-road/
around 1min 35s mark.

RDY

by RDY

robbosmans wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 am
If I where you I wouldn’t watch to much of the toxic Hambini
His critique of GXP is valid though. Its variability of tolerances and the axle / bearing / crank interface is crap.

Cranks themselves are excellent and good value for money - and a textbook illustration of why Shimano should also move to thermoplastic cranks (they're cheap, easy to mass produce & don't fall apart). But if DUB fits your bike, you'd be mad to go with GXP now ... it isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot less *f##k* than GXP.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yes off course, I haven’t had any issues with gxp, i have it on 3 bikes. I just use a shimano bb with a gxp adaptor and it works great.

dcorn

by dcorn

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:51 pm
Thejingerr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:49 pm
alu = twice price, weight like ultegra
carbon aldhu is 30mm version
Oh are they not available for 24mm yet? I thought the axle interface was the same and you could just swap either axle in.
Pretty sure this is the case. I have the carbon arms, they only come with arms, the spindle is purchased separately.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

dcorn wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:51 pm
Thejingerr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:49 pm
alu = twice price, weight like ultegra
carbon aldhu is 30mm version
Oh are they not available for 24mm yet? I thought the axle interface was the same and you could just swap either axle in.
Pretty sure this is the case. I have the carbon arms, they only come with arms, the spindle is purchased separately.
It is not the case.
Rotor dropped the ball when they design the 30mm version. The spindle are sold separately, yes. But 24mm and 30mm spindle require different arms too...

Why is it?
Well, you see, to fit through the bottom bracket bearings, at least one side of the spindle interface must be smaller than the bearing diameter. Right side is not an option, it has large interface for fitting the spider. So, left side interface must be made smaller than 24mm so that it can go through 24mm as well as 30mm.
That's where Rotor dropped the ball. Their original 30mm version has interface that is too large to go through 24mm bearing. So to support 24mm axle, not only they need to make a 24mm axle. But they have to make 24mm specific left arm that fit to a modified interface that is smaller than 24mm (and incompatible with interface on 30mm arms) as well.

Thejingerr

by Thejingerr

I see no alternative to shimano :

With PF86 all 30mm variant need 2 row of bearings.
No real 24mm variant.
Only twice+ campa or questionable gxp.
Exotic variants is interesting, but it is not just simple to buy them.

Marin

by Marin

Thejingerr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 pm
gxp it is the lightest "24" mm, but :smartass: hambini "avoid if you can" from gxp
Hambini basically has no idea what he's talking about. GXP is fine, I run 6 of them (3x Red, 2x Force, 1x X01) and no problems. Sram GXP bearings aren't the most durable, but they are cheap and there are alternatives.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Stop reading up on crap that people say about X... Most of these plonkers look at something and make a call based on their 'experience' (read this as they make a judgment call based on sweet FA actual real-world practice using the product).

Hambini (Sanjeev) states he is not a cyclist but an engineer. On paper maybe it isn’t as good as a bigger 6806 type bearing, but doesn’t mean it’s rubbish.

I am a cyclist and the people I build bikes for are pretty handy on two wheels too.

Three C-Bear PF4130/DUB units that spring to mind that I've installed have been faultless on bikes with riders who have 360-450w FTPs, 70-90kg body weight, 1,500w+ peak power. They have not been treated kindly yet still running smooth as silk after probably 30,000 combined KM.

Now if you're a stronger rider than the above and exceed their numbers, I can't comment on how it will last, but I doubt you are, so stop worrying and don't constrain yourself to a 24mm crank...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop