Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parleez1

by parleez1

Hi, I wear cx241 wides and was wondering if anyone uses the Lake custom insoles that can be molded in an oven?
My custom insoles have been bothering my left foot, so I'm looking for a new option before I go full custom again. Also considering the Sidas custom cycling insoles, anyone have experience with them?
Sorry for the drift.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Figured I should just tag onto this thread since I'm in the same spot, despite looking for "gravel"/XC shoes.

I've been wearing "wide" Shimano RX8 (basically a RC5 with lugs) in size 42. As with Shimano wide shoes, it's not wide enough. The length and heel retention are perfect however.

Before that, I had Lake MX237 in 42 wide. Width was perfect but way too much volume so I had to really crank down on the BOAs to prevent any lift (including heel lift). This resulted in the tongue and collar digging into my ankle.

If I stick with Lake, I'm tempted to try out the Lake MX241 or MX332 since they have moldable heel cups to cut down on the heel lift. Bont wides are an obvious option, but not readily available.

Any suggestions?

naylor343

by naylor343

scoobydrew wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:06 pm
Figured I should just tag onto this thread since I'm in the same spot, despite looking for "gravel"/XC shoes.

I've been wearing "wide" Shimano RX8 (basically a RC5 with lugs) in size 42. As with Shimano wide shoes, it's not wide enough. The length and heel retention are perfect however.

Before that, I had Lake MX237 in 42 wide. Width was perfect but way too much volume so I had to really crank down on the BOAs to prevent any lift (including heel lift). This resulted in the tongue and collar digging into my ankle.

If I stick with Lake, I'm tempted to try out the Lake MX241 or MX332 since they have moldable heel cups to cut down on the heel lift. Bont wides are an obvious option, but not readily available.

Any suggestions?

In my experience, (which comes via my wife's feet, not mine), she having had Bonts and Lake. The Lake wide fit is closer to the Bont standard width than the the Bont wide fit. Bonts wide fit are another category altogether.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

naylor343 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:47 pm
scoobydrew wrote:

Any suggestions?

In my experience, (which comes via my wife's feet, not mine), she having had Bonts and Lake. The Lake wide fit is closer to the Bont standard width than the the Bont wide fit. Bonts wide fit are another category altogether.
I've read some mixed experiences on that. Some say Bont's standard width is wide width already, but others say it's too narrow. Unfortunately, Bont's size wizard tells me I need a wide in either case.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have had both Lake wide CX331 sz 43 and Bont Vaypor S in 44 and the Bonts standard fit was way narrower than the Lake wide. Yes the CX is an offroad shoe but I have also had the Lake 401 in 43.5 standard fit and the CX was still wider.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TribesMan

by TribesMan

naylor343 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:47 pm
I absolutely disagree with this.
I own Bont Vaypor S wide and Lake CX238 wide.
Bont is much narrower. And also since the bathtub construction they do not expand at all.
You could easily "stretch" the Lakes a few mms, where Bonts will not budge.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

scoobydrew wrote:

Any suggestions?
How wide are your feet? I feel that the 241 would fit the widest range of feet. They just don't work for me bacause of the built in arch in the carbon sole. The standard 241 are surprisingly wide. They stretch out quite a bit because of the mesh.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:42 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:07 am
Here are some pics of the Giros:

37E07DD4-007F-4C2A-B12F-6DA87C252C61.jpeg6E42BC9C-FC5F-44CD-80FF-A7C2EAFAE476.jpeg
DA4A21DC-92C5-48D8-9748-83549AAD754B.jpeg
The giros actually look quite wide from the sole view.

What is the measurements and how do they compare to the others you have tried for your foot pain?
My foot has been better lately so it's hard to compare. Before I had pain in any shoe more or less.

Giros don't actually meassure that wide at all but feel roomier and wider than their sole width. The Imperials are a bit wider than the Prolight actually at the widest points. It's strange how they are so narrow but feel so spacious because of the material. They are definitely worth a try.

I have also been using the 201s a bit on longer easy rides. They have also been good, very wide and comfortable. The heel is too wide but I don't feel it's a problem on easy rides. One note, they are incredibly airy, great for summer. So are the Giros but the 201 are even more ventilated.

1. Prolight
2. Imperial
C5CFFCB9-5520-4DF6-A115-B7BEA04ACC79.jpeg
75CE9B4A-8134-4D14-B01D-A309B3659A82.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

parleez1

by parleez1

FYI- Competitive Cyclist has Lake shoes on sale for 20% off right now, and free two day shyin the US!

parleez1

by parleez1

parleez1 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:56 pm
FYI- Competitive Cyclist has Lake shoes on sale for 20% off right now, and free two day shipping the US!

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:20 pm
scoobydrew wrote:

Any suggestions?
How wide are your feet? I feel that the 241 would fit the widest range of feet. They just don't work for me bacause of the built in arch in the carbon sole. The standard 241 are surprisingly wide. They stretch out quite a bit because of the mesh.
107mm wide and 260mm long. I'm a 42 in most shoes.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

scoobydrew wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:49 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:20 pm
scoobydrew wrote:

Any suggestions?
107mm wide and 260mm long. I'm a 42 in most shoes.
My left is 106, right is 109 but I wear 44 in Lakes so yours are wider than mine considering you are a 42. Mine are 273mm. So I'm not sure if you would need wide or not.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

I just ordered some CX238 in the regular width 42. The Lake website has an incredibly detailed listing of sizing for both length and width. They break it down to which lasts in each shoe will have what width for each size. I'm curious if any of you have experience with how much extra room in the width was enough, but not too much according to their measurements? Obviously, you can't go with a shoe that has less width than your foot, but how much becomes too much? Is that up to personal preference to a certain degree and then what becomes just too much?

I measure about 161mm in my bigger foot and I'm 95mm in width. Their instructions say to add 5mm to choose a size which puts me right at the limit of the 42 according to their website. The width will be a 98 - giving me 3mm of room in width. Hopefully that's not too much, but it would be difficult to get it much closer. I wouldn't even fit into the widths of some of those other lasts according to their chart.

I'm just a little concerned becuase my foot is actually slightly more narrow than a medium or D width and I've heard these are considered pretty wide amongst road bike shoes. I've also heard that it's ok to have some extra room in the toe box too.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Toe box will not be an issue IMO.
Just make sure you have a good heel grip.
From my experience CX238 have quite wide heel cup...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fastfwd

by Fastfwd

TribesMan wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 am
Toe box will not be an issue IMO.
Just make sure you have a good heel grip.
From my experience CX238 have quite wide heel cup...

I have only been able to try on a few different pairs of road shoes. I was stunned by how tightly a pair of mid-level Specialized (Torch 3.0) gripped my foot overall. I may have needed a half size bigger in those. My impression was that they were more of a 'race' fit. These don't grip my heels like that, but man those were tight throughout the foot.

There is some movement, but to be fair my old SiDi SPD shoes didn't seem to even try to grip my heels and I never noticed it. I’ve ridden like 15k miles in those and they never gave me any problems. I tried on a pair of Bontrager mid level shoes (Velocis) too and those didn't strike me as any tighter around the heel.

Arch support is fantastic! I'm not sure what role that plays, but they seem to really excel with the fit there. The toes go right to the end of the shoe and feel roomy, but not overly so IMO. My old SiDi's are a tighter fit in the toe, but almost like a slipper - not constrictive at all.

I can crank down on the ankle and it gets the Lakes fairly snug, but I admit they don't fit like a glass slipper in the heel. Is that a really big deal? Do they have to fit pretty tight in the heel? It seems a little to me like unless you just get custom made shoes that there is going to have to be a comprimise somewhere with the fit. Can anything be done to snug up the heel? Inserts or something?

I really hate to pass on the deal I got on these. They retail for like $330 and I got them on sale at $264 with another $60 store credit applied. $203 total.

Edit: I tried these on again and compared to my Sidi shoes. A few observations - what I'm describing as not being super tight in the heel is basically from me trying to walk in these and the super stiff carbon soles not giving any flex at all. So, they lift at the heel while walking. The SiDis have a little flex plus they have lugs on the soles that sort of rock the step forward so it doesn't lift at the heel. Walking in them can't be the best gauge of fit, but that's about all I can do is walk a few steps on the carpet. I can't put cleats on them and ride with them to see how they feel.

I'm not sure for my purpose of riding long distance - centuries, gran fondos, etc. that these aren't suitable. I'm not 'racing' crits or closed circuits. I do long days of 100 miles sometimes. I might benefit from a little looser fit. IDK.
Last edited by Fastfwd on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.