Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

parleez1 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:00 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 am
@parleez1 I missed your post. Do you know what the width of your feet is? I am wondering if the CX241 Wide work only for super wide feet.

I am in Sweden so unfortunately those sites don't work for me.
I just measured one foot, widest side to side is 10cm, not very wide, but I had a Morton Neuroma years ago so I need the width. The cx241's are amazing shoes, once I put my foot in they feel huge, then I start turning the Bia dual and they tighten up in all the right places and fit like a glove, I highly recommend giving them a try. I have custom orthotics, they work great for my feet!
Thank's, that's good to know. I was worried that they would be too wide for me. I will probably also get custom insoles.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

otnemem wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:36 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:20 am
otnemem wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 pm
So you're a true wide footer. E? EE?
Toes splaying isn't an hinderance for anything as long as the area just behind the MTPJs is well secure. If anything, the toes being able to splay allows the plantar fascia to adequately contract, which has to be positive. Compressed toes serve no purpose other than facilitate bunions in the long run.

Thank you for the info on the CX201. They seem great for most uses.

Could I trouble you for info on their weight?
According to the machine, my left foot is E and right is EE, so not extreme. I have never had any issues with the left foot which is 3mm narrower that the right. I gave these exact measurements which I will post pictures of below to Lake and all they could tell me is to try CX241 Wide.

I don't really understand the anatomy of the foot. I'm only repeating what the guy from the channel "spinshoeguru" says about the shoes. Another thing he says, is that they are made to accommodate flat feet. It works even if you don't have flat feet of course, you can always put in insoles. Just type CX201 and that's the first video that pops up.

I will check the weight when I get home but I don't think they are that light. I weighed the CX332 and they were pretty heavy, 300g each.
That's cool. Listen, in all things shoes, be it walking, running or cycling, it's whatever works. The only caveat being "whatever works" as long as you're comfortable while not obviously damaging your feet.

I'd be OK with a heavier shoe for indoor training and long rides. For everything else I've got the Northwave Extreme RR (so the previous model, only one dial) which despite having a pointy toebox actually have a DTPJ area that is quite accommodating. Newer model is said to be narrower.

I might also eat crow and try Bont again even if my previous experience with them wasn't satisfactory (finishing and QC issues on 400€ shoes isn't acceptable).
Yeah, same reason I'm considering keeping the CX201. Then to find a tighter fitting raceshoe to have alongside it. I also had a pair of Northwave a while ago, it was the Flash. As far as I can remember, they were a decent width. But I didn't have the issues with my foot back then.

I would like to try Bont but I'm afraid of the bathtub sole being harsh. Bont Riot+ might be something to try, you wouldn't lose that much money that way.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TribesMan

by TribesMan

From my recent experience, I would suggest you to stay away from Bont.
Don't get me wrong, the shoe is great, but not if you have wide feet.
The bathtub design is just too uncomrpomising.

Otherwise, the way it grips your foot, specially the heel, and how stiff it is... just awesome.
You can really feel the efficiency of torque transfer through the shoe.
When I got back to my old Sidis from Bonts it felt like trying to apply power on a pedal with a running shoe.

But when you get numb toes and all kinds of foot pains after one hour of riding it becomes really hard to like the Bonts.

otnemem

by otnemem

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 am
I would like to try Bont but I'm afraid of the bathtub sole being harsh. Bont Riot+ might be something to try, you wouldn't lose that much money that way.
I already did. I owned a pair of Bont Helix which are high up on their line up (and I see they can be had for significantly less now) but the finish of them visible from inside and under the insole was not in keeping with a 300+€ shoe. Then the bolt plate was way too shallow and the bolts kept pushing it up creating a hotspot with horrible discomfort.
Other than that, it's a shoe that fits well and the moulding adds to it.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Yeah, it's weird how the Bont sole works perfectly for some and horrible for others.

Another thing about the CX201. They are extremely open and ventilated in the front, it's like only wearing a sock. I'm wondering wether any overshoe will fit them, since they are so wide. By the way, I sent back the CX332 yesterday.

Seeing that the RC902 Wide are available for a good price in my size right now. I'm really tempted to order them, just to be sure.

I also need mtb shoes in wide, and I have no idea which way to go with that one. Maybe the XC701 Wide if the RC701 Wide I ordered work. Although I wouldn't want to spend that much on mtb shoes since I don't ride mtb that often.

I just found these XC300 Wide in my size. They seem to look pretty wide in the pic.
B2BB69E1-7C53-4593-B418-4E7E818CC042.png
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Wed May 05, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Edit: wrong post.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I don't think Shimano really makes "wide" shoes.
Their shoes go more into direction of high volume, similar to Sidi.
So when you wear them, your foot will spill over the sides of the footbed.
Unlike Lake (or Bont?) where the footbed is actually wider.

fa63

by fa63

Per Shimano, their higher end "wide" road shoes only have about 5% more volume mainly in the toebox area. So not really wide, just a little more wiggle room for the toes.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I got CX238-x today. So much toe space, almost too much.
But when I measured the outside width of the toebox it is "only" around 110mm (size 44). Compared to my streched out Bont Vaypors that is barely 1-2mm wider. But the feeling inside the shoe is completely different. First time in my life I have a shoe that is not too tight anywhere.

Bonts feel like putting the foot inside the plaster, insane fit but absolutely no wiggle room, or adaptability.
Lake is much more comfy, sole is very wide so there is no problems like with Bont "bathtub" or that "spill over" effect like on Sidi, the upper material is so soft and adaptable, almost like a slipper.

Heel cup is unfortunately not as tight as I would like. It is about half way between Bont and my old Sidi "mega".
Not sure if I will keep them, or I would try to exchange them for CX241-x.

jlok

by jlok

CX241 internal is a bit tighter than other Lake shoes due to the construction, half size up is recommended.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

A few years back I purchased a pair of the Lake MX 331 and took the chance of a sz43 wide which are likely the best fitting shoes I have had. My left largest foot measures out at 276 by 110 and according to the shoe chart they have now and the one I went by back then nothing has changed. Their chart shows a sz43 to be 273 long by 110 in the wide. That said I normally cut the forefoot portion of my insole on the left which buys me a bit of room and gives me a little more arch support while my right foot is 274 in length and 108 wide the insole is uncut and the shoe fits like a dream. I was looking at one time to purchase the road CX403 but at the time it was not available in wide.
For the road I have been using Northwave for many years and the 43 fit nicely but the latest Extreme RR was supposed to be a little tighter according to reviews and I went to the 44 when I could have been fine with 43.5 so I just ran the ITS Wedge and it was okay for fit.
The latest Extreme Pro is tighter and I got it in the 44 as well and good thing because its noticeably tighter but it fits very well and the width on all the Northwave have been good for me at 110 wide. The sole on the Pro is definitely more ridgid than any of the Extremes before it though. If I was to go to another shoe I think the Lake 403 wide would be something of consideration for sure.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

glpinxit

by glpinxit

All about torturing Bonts to fit my wide feet here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166192

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

Been using my CX238 in regular 46 for a couple months now! They're perfect for my wide feet. Can't be any happier, I tried de wide version too but that's too much. You do wanna have a little bit of space because your feet get wider with the hot weather etc. But ofcourse not too much.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TribesMan wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 am
I don't think Shimano really makes "wide" shoes.
Their shoes go more into direction of high volume, similar to Sidi.
So when you wear them, your foot will spill over the sides of the footbed.
Unlike Lake (or Bont?) where the footbed is actually wider.
I have been thinking about this lately. Is it such a bad thing that there is only more volume? I mean, yeah a wider sole is obviously more preferable but with more volume you still get less pressure on the ball of your feet.

The poster below says it's only 5% more volume in the toe area, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

TribesMan wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 pm
I got CX238-x today. So much toe space, almost too much.
But when I measured the outside width of the toebox it is "only" around 110mm (size 44). Compared to my streched out Bont Vaypors that is barely 1-2mm wider. But the feeling inside the shoe is completely different. First time in my life I have a shoe that is not too tight anywhere.

Bonts feel like putting the foot inside the plaster, insane fit but absolutely no wiggle room, or adaptability.
Lake is much more comfy, sole is very wide so there is no problems like with Bont "bathtub" or that "spill over" effect like on Sidi, the upper material is so soft and adaptable, almost like a slipper.

Heel cup is unfortunately not as tight as I would like. It is about half way between Bont and my old Sidi "mega".
Not sure if I will keep them, or I would try to exchange them for CX241-x.
So there's a common theme then, being that several of us have measured narrower widths than stated on Lake shoes. The wide competition last is supposed to be 114mm.

If that width suits you, then the CX241 Wide with a mouldable heel will probably work for you.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021