Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

otnemem wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:41 am
Here are some useful pictures comparing the 201 and 332 wide. Also insole comparison of the different shoes.
I know I always look for stuff like this so I think it will be useful for alot of people when searching for shoes.
Thanks for that. The Lake CX201 have a nearly perfect toebox shape, like Bont. I would like a two dial version especially for longer rides... Is there such a shoe outside Bont?

Most of the time people needing "wide shoes" only really need an anatomical toebox. Pointy and narrow toeboxes are the devil for foot problems - if not immediately, then almost cert3in the future.
That's true but in my case it is the midfoot where I have issues, not so much the forefoot. Which is what makes it so complicated. I have to guess whether shoes are gonna be wider in the middle or only the toebox.

One major aspect of the 201 is that the toes are supposed to be splayed and to freely move around, not to be restricted and tight like normal shoes. They do that really well, and that's probably why they don't have two dials. If you would get them, you have to be prepared that the mesh material in front is really pliable. But I don't think it really matters because a large area behind the toebox is well secured.

Here's an image showing how flexible the material is. For people with a square toebox, wide feet and in any way deformed feet, they would probably be a dream. The only issue is the huge heel. I am still in two minds wether to keep them or not.
75CC022F-1EA0-4DEA-90FA-FE91C6DF4A43.jpeg
9ECA0FB1-B72E-48F9-971A-FF4964457A5F.jpeg
ECCAA5D9-37F5-4CFA-9179-102AC141073F.jpeg
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am

Here's an image showing how flexible the material is. For people with a square toebox, wide feet and in any way deformed feet, they would probably be a dream. The only issue is the huge heel. I am still in two minds wether to keep them or not.
I have been using bits of suede type bar tape (like specialized roubaix) secured with double sided tape to change the shape of heel cups. Works great for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:44 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:

I have been using bits of suede type bar tape (like specialized roubaix) secured with double sided tape to change the shape of heel cups. Works great for me.
Thank's, I'll see if I can try that. Will the tape really hold it in place though?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

Depends on the tape. If you absolutely want to make sure the tape won't move anywhere ever, glue it down with Shoe Goo or something

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

What do you guys think of trying to widen the CX 332? They are leather so it should work right? How much can I expect them to stretch if that is the case? Anyone done it? That would be great, because I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of returning them and waiting for new ones. Also risking those not fitting either. I like this chameleon blue color as well, and I can't get them in extra wide.

By the way, the left shoe seems to fit pretty well. I don't feel any discomfort there.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Update: Just ordered a pair of RC-701 Wide. Got 10% of so got a decent deal. I got these from Bikester so returns will be hassle free. I really want Shimanos to work, since I already know that 44 is a perfect fit length wise for me, so that's one variable out of the way.

Does someone know what the difference is between the RC701 and RC901-902 in the wide versions? The 701 are the 901's generation right? Then they should be roomier than the new 902. Also, how would the RC300 Wide compare to the others?

If the RC300 Wide are wide enough, they would be a great second pair for the money.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

otnemem

by otnemem

Roadbiker10 wrote:
That's true but in my case it is the midfoot where I have issues, not so much the forefoot. Which is what makes it so complicated. I have to guess whether shoes are gonna be wider in the middle or only the toebox.

One major aspect of the 201 is that the toes are supposed to be splayed and to freely move around, not to be restricted and tight like normal shoes. They do that really well, and that's probably why they don't have two dials. If you would get them, you have to be prepared that the mesh material in front is really pliable. But I don't think it really matters because a large area behind the toebox is well secured.

So you're a true wide footer. E? EE?
Toes splaying isn't an hinderance for anything as long as the area just behind the MTPJs is well secure. If anything, the toes being able to splay allows the plantar fascia to adequately contract, which has to be positive. Compressed toes serve no purpose other than facilitate bunions in the long run.

Thank you for the info on the CX201. They seem great for most uses.

Could I trouble you for info on their weight?

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:04 pm
shiiiison wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 am
1C2BEA67-73AA-497C-B2C6-BF23759D7167.jpeg7FD69A55-25F0-46C0-9B79-9570D84118D8.jpeg
I just measured my 332 Wide with a caliper and get nearly the same measurement (101.Xmm). On the Lake site it claims a width of 107.8mm for a size 44 and you seemed to find that an issue as well.. are these apples to apples numbers? Or is Lake stating that if your foot is ~107mm this would be correct assuming all the other numbers align?

Thanks!
No, it is the right way to measure. It's not your foot that the their numbers are representing. Which makes it all the more confusing that we get almost the exact widhts. Now I'm wondering wether the extra wide is gonna be only 2,5 mm wider than ours or really the 110 stated. I asked this question in an email to Lake, we'll see if they answer. I don't know how to link to the video but here are some screenshots:
28A070C6-4234-4EE7-A45D-9C800BDFAB72.png1DCEE45B-6D26-4C6F-A0D8-8D0D1A7E21AA.png
Let me know if and when you hear soemthing back. I just bite the bullet and ordered a pair fo the S Works Ares in 44 to see how that is. What is madding for me is that mine are warrenty replacements and my first pair were soooo comfortable. Emailed them to see if they hav my old ones. Maybe i can get the measurements from those but soemthing seems off.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

otnemem wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Toes splaying isn't an hinderance for anything as long as the area just behind the MTPJs is well secure. If anything, the toes being able to splay allows the plantar fascia to adequately contract, which has to be positive. Compressed toes serve no purpose other than facilitate bunions in the long run.

According to the machine, my left foot is E and right is EE, so not extreme. I have never had any issues with the left foot which is 3mm narrower that the right. I gave these exact measurements which I will post pictures of below to Lake and all they could tell me is to try CX241 Wide.

I don't really understand the anatomy of the foot. I'm only repeating what the guy from the channel "spinshoeguru" says about the shoes. Another thing he says, is that they are made to accommodate flat feet. It works even if you don't have flat feet of course, you can always put in insoles. Just type CX201 and that's the first video that pops up.

I will check the weight when I get home but I don't think they are that light. I weighed the CX332 and they were pretty heavy, 300g each.

Herr are the pics of my detailed foot measurements:
DF185558-7E95-4D6B-AE64-8A5C2E64C610.png
CDBF979C-445C-4441-9A26-8063D212B530.png
83E4193C-5FC7-436A-811F-46A37643CD11.png
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

@parleez1 I missed your post. Do you know what the width of your feet is? I am wondering if the CX241 Wide work only for super wide feet.

I am in Sweden so unfortunately those sites don't work for me.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

shiiiison wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:14 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:04 pm
shiiiison wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 am
1C2BEA67-73AA-497C-B2C6-BF23759D7167.jpeg7FD69A55-25F0-46C0-9B79-9570D84118D8.jpeg
I just measured my 332 Wide with a caliper and get nearly the same measurement (101.Xmm). On the Lake site it claims a width of 107.8mm for a size 44 and you seemed to find that an issue as well.. are these apples to apples numbers? Or is Lake stating that if your foot is ~107mm this would be correct assuming all the other numbers align?

Thanks!
No, it is the right way to measure. It's not your foot that the their numbers are representing. Which makes it all the more confusing that we get almost the exact widhts. Now I'm wondering wether the extra wide is gonna be only 2,5 mm wider than ours or really the 110 stated. I asked this question in an email to Lake, we'll see if they answer. I don't know how to link to the video but here are some screenshots:
28A070C6-4234-4EE7-A45D-9C800BDFAB72.png1DCEE45B-6D26-4C6F-A0D8-8D0D1A7E21AA.png
Let me know if and when you hear soemthing back. I just bite the bullet and ordered a pair fo the S Works Ares in 44 to see how that is. What is madding for me is that mine are warrenty replacements and my first pair were soooo comfortable. Emailed them to see if they hav my old ones. Maybe i can get the measurements from those but soemthing seems off.
I will. I just looked back in the thread and didn't find your measurements. Could you provide them? Hope the Ares works for you but they do look really narrow on @Tobinhatesyou.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

@otnemem I weighed the CX201, they are 315g each. But the CX332 are 300g so none of them are particularly light.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

parleez1

by parleez1

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 am
@parleez1 I missed your post. Do you know what the width of your feet is? I am wondering if the CX241 Wide work only for super wide feet.

I just measured one foot, widest side to side is 10cm, not very wide, but I had a Morton Neuroma years ago so I need the width. The cx241's are amazing shoes, once I put my foot in they feel huge, then I start turning the Bia dual and they tighten up in all the right places and fit like a glove, I highly recommend giving them a try. I have custom orthotics, they work great for my feet!

parleez1

by parleez1

parleez1 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:00 am
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 am

I just measured one foot, widest side to side is 10cm, not very wide, but I had a Morton Neuroma years ago so I need the width. The cx241's are amazing shoes, once I put my foot in they feel huge, then I start turning the Boa dial and they tighten up in all the right places and fit like a glove, I highly recommend giving them a try. I have custom orthotics, they work great for my feet!
Sorry for the typos, I corrected them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:20 am
otnemem wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 pm

According to the machine, my left foot is E and right is EE, so not extreme. I have never had any issues with the left foot which is 3mm narrower that the right. I gave these exact measurements which I will post pictures of below to Lake and all they could tell me is to try CX241 Wide.

I don't really understand the anatomy of the foot. I'm only repeating what the guy from the channel "spinshoeguru" says about the shoes. Another thing he says, is that they are made to accommodate flat feet. It works even if you don't have flat feet of course, you can always put in insoles. Just type CX201 and that's the first video that pops up.

I will check the weight when I get home but I don't think they are that light. I weighed the CX332 and they were pretty heavy, 300g each.
That's cool. Listen, in all things shoes, be it walking, running or cycling, it's whatever works. The only caveat being "whatever works" as long as you're comfortable while not obviously damaging your feet.

I'd be OK with a heavier shoe for indoor training and long rides. For everything else I've got the Northwave Extreme RR (so the previous model, only one dial) which despite having a pointy toebox actually have a DTPJ area that is quite accommodating. Newer model is said to be narrower.

I might also eat crow and try Bont again even if my previous experience with them wasn't satisfactory (finishing and QC issues on 400€ shoes isn't acceptable).