Lake shoes wide feet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I am about to order the 902 wide. But it's a little worrying that a review says the 902 is more shaped like the S works 7. With a narrower midfoot and a narrower feeling toebox then the 901. It's unsettling coupled with the fact that the sole is not any wider than the regular model. I am gonna order them still to try. I have a feeling that the CX 332 extra wide won't fit. The 332 just seem kind of harsh and not so comfortable inside.

Edit: Just ordered the RC902 Wide and a pair of cheaper SH RC 300E Wide.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

Roadbiker10 wrote:
cloud9blue wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am
I have wide feet too. Had problems in the past with some shoes. For what it is worth, I do find shimano wide to work wells for me. Wide enough in the mid food region and excellent heel retention as well. I can use it for +4 hr with no discomfort even on trainers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which Shimano shoes do you have? Do you happen to know the width of your feet? I am looking at the S phyre rc902 in wide right now. I think I read somewhere that the 902 are more narrow in the toebox than the 902.
I have the RC7 (road, with speed play cleats) and RX8 (gravel, with spd). In 43 wide and 44 wide, respectively. No issue with better insoles. Shimano stock insoles are pretty mediocre and offers little arch support if you have high arches, but that’s easily corrected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Definitely don't get the 902s in wide, you'll be disappointed.
I have the 901s in wide and they are so comfortable. Bought the 902s expecting them to be the same but they are neary 4mm narrower.
My right foot suffers more than the left like yours does and feels like its in a vice. I don't even tighten the boa, leave as loose as possible.
Only using them on the trainer atm to see if they give a little.
Luckily bought some nearly new 901s the other day for an absolute steal.
Every time I find a pair I just buy them to stock up.
I've tried the Lakes in a wide fit and they were awful. Sold them after one ride.
Shimano 901s are really good for wide feet.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Wow what an idiot I am. Should have read the Rc902 thread before I made the order. People complaining they are really narrow. Someone said the wide are only 1mm wider than the standard, is that true? No way these will work for me. I canceled the whole order but I think I am going to order a pair of RC 300E wide from a Swedish site I just found them on. They look quite wide on pictures. Does someone have them maybe?
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

KCookie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:11 pm
I have the 901s in wide and they are so comfortable. Bought the 902s expecting them to be the same but they are neary 4mm narrower.
My right foot suffers more than the left like yours does and feels like its in a vice. I don't even tighten the boa, leave as loose as possible.
I've tried the Lakes in a wide fit and they were awful. Sold them after one ride.

I just read your comment in the 902 thread like 2 minutes ago and canceled the order because of it. Thanks, you probably saved me. What was the width of them when you measured and which size are they? What is the width of your 901? I would get the 901 if I could but can't find them anywhere.

Edit: Phew, I managed to get out of that order. I had to call them to be sure. Now the question remains wether I should order the 332 in extra wide.

I asked the guy from bikecomponents if the RC300E wide are wider than the S phyres and he said no. Is that true? Because usually the top models are wider than the lower ones.

Does someone have any measurements of other brands wide shoes, like Sidi, Fizik and others? It's difficult when they don't specify that. Or any idea how they compare.
What about the Shimano 701 in wide?
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Edit: Quoted myself instead of editing my previous post.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

shiiiison

by shiiiison

I had a warrenty issue with a pair of Wide 332's and while they took care of it quickly the new pair fits nothing like my first one. Headaches and footpain.

shiiiison

by shiiiison

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 am
1C2BEA67-73AA-497C-B2C6-BF23759D7167.jpeg7FD69A55-25F0-46C0-9B79-9570D84118D8.jpeg
I just measured my 332 Wide with a caliper and get nearly the same measurement (101.Xmm). On the Lake site it claims a width of 107.8mm for a size 44 and you seemed to find that an issue as well.. are these apples to apples numbers? Or is Lake stating that if your foot is ~107mm this would be correct assuming all the other numbers align?

Thanks!

KCookie

by KCookie

Roadbiker10 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

I just read your comment in the 902 thread like 2 minutes ago and canceled the order because of it. Thanks, you probably saved me. What was the width of them when you measured and which size are they? What is the width of your 901? I would get the 901 if I could but can't find them anywhere.

Edit: Phew, I managed to get out of that order. I had to call them to be sure. Now the question remains wether I should order the 332 in extra wide.

I asked the guy from bikecomponents if the RC300E wide are wider than the S phyres and he said no. Is that true? Because usually the top models are wider than the lower ones.

Does someone have any measurements of other brands wide shoes, like Sidi, Fizik and others? It's difficult when they don't specify that. Or any idea how they compare.
What about the Shimano 701 in wide?
Yes the 901s are hard to come by, but lately there's been quite a few second hand ones for sale here in Australia.
My LBS spoke to Shimano but only a few blue were left, I was after white and black.
Cant remember the width but can measure tomorrow with my callipers.
You are right that there is only 1mm difference for the wide version.
Why Shimano changed the width is behond me.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

shiiiison wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:46 am
1C2BEA67-73AA-497C-B2C6-BF23759D7167.jpeg7FD69A55-25F0-46C0-9B79-9570D84118D8.jpeg
I just measured my 332 Wide with a caliper and get nearly the same measurement (101.Xmm). On the Lake site it claims a width of 107.8mm for a size 44 and you seemed to find that an issue as well.. are these apples to apples numbers? Or is Lake stating that if your foot is ~107mm this would be correct assuming all the other numbers align?

Thanks!
No, it is the right way to measure. It's not your foot that the their numbers are representing. Which makes it all the more confusing that we get almost the exact widhts. Now I'm wondering wether the extra wide is gonna be only 2,5 mm wider than ours or really the 110 stated. I asked this question in an email to Lake, we'll see if they answer. I don't know how to link to the video but here are some screenshots:
28A070C6-4234-4EE7-A45D-9C800BDFAB72.png
1DCEE45B-6D26-4C6F-A0D8-8D0D1A7E21AA.png
Scott Addict RC 20 2021

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:20 pm
KCookie wrote:

I had the 901, 45 wide. Sole was only 95mm wide, and toe area pointy narrow. Had to return them. Currently on 402 45 wide, foot is 280/110

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Hmmm... I have very similar foot size to yours. Mine are 270mm and 108mm wide.
And I'm going through similar process than you, finding a pair of shoes that would fit me without causing pain.

I'm long time user of Sidi Genius Mega, those were the best I was able to find 10 years ago... but they were never super comfortable, and they have started to fall apart after all these years.
But I guess they have deformed around my foot through the years, since I have tried a new pair of Sidi Mega, and they were impossible to wear...

Anyway, after some browsing on the web I found Lake and Bont, which were said to produce wider shoes.
Unfortunately I was unalbe to find them to try where I live.

Looking at the size charts, I should take Lake CX332 Wide 44, or Bont Wide 44.5.
Around the black friday I was able to order pair of Bont Vaypor S with a decent discount for 240€. So I went for that.
Also I was lured with the promise of heat moulding...
But... it was a huge mistake. Those shoes are far from wide.
From the box they were around 102mm wide (measured on the ouside)
Even with all the moulding, stretching and so on, I was unable to make them wide enough.
Measuring the outside width of the shoes I was able to get them to around 108mm, but this is still too narrow if your foot is 108mm.
As somebody already mentioned, the shape of the carbon footbed, that extends up the sides of the foot is really bad idea if you have wide feet.
They are unbearable to wear for longer periods. Usually I start to get foot pains after about 1 hour of riding in these shoes.
And what is worse, after a month heat moulding and trying with different insoles, cleat positions, wedges under cleats and inside the shoe... I started to get knee pain. And now the knee pain is present even when I wear my old shoes... :/

So I guess that is 250€ down the drain for me.

In the mean time I was able to test Lake CX176 Wide 44. Those were nice but heel grip is not ok for me, a few mm too wide (not much).
I also tried CX332 44 normal but those are way too narrow, but have very nice heel grip. So maybe wide CX332 would be OK for me, but you say they are also narrower than what Lake says, so similar story to bont??
I have read that CX201 is completely new last, that has very wide and comfortable forefoot, but also very wide heel (much wider than other CX2xx series).
So I guess I should look in the direction of CX332 wide, or even CX238 wide (but those should be 114mm so maybe too wide?).

upacs

by upacs

have you checked out Luck cycling shoes?

I had problems getting shoes that fit. Got some custom made Luck ones, never looked back. I think I have five pairs now...

https://www.luck-bike.es/gb/

rawjunk

by rawjunk

TribesMan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:03 pm
So I guess I should look in the direction of CX332 wide, or even CX238 wide (but those should be 114mm so maybe too wide?).
I have similar sized feet and at least regular MX238 felt terrible. Wide at heel and midfoot, toebox not so much. I'm quite happy with Shimano and Specialized 45 so I thought 104mm width would have been enough. Fizik R4 wide felt quite nice but I should have ordered 45 instead of 44. I seem to need longer shoes than size charts recommend, or my toes hit the top of the shoe

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

I am loving my S-Works Ares.

They shouldn't really work with my fairly wide (105mm+) feet, but there is so much stretch in the fabric (which is still super strong), that they are very comfy.

Toe box is where this shoe really shines though. I have a developing hammer toe on one foot and this is the best shoe by a very long way for this (I have tried most).

I use them with G8 beds and they are really good. 5 1/2 hours and no real issues (i get a bit numb toes here and there, but that is a problem for me that is not specific to cycling).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com