Tarmac SL6 vs Aeroad II.gen vs Allez Sprint

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

I´ve been searching local ads to find new-used aero or semi-aero race bike and I like those three the most. My targets are stiffness, aero and overall performance/ride quality.

Aeroad should be the most aero while SL6 and Allez Sprint should excel in stiffness. Will the Aeroad be significantly faster than the other two?

Regardless of the price, which one would you pick?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

My choices would look like this:

1. Tarmac SL6- very stiff, very comfortable, light, good aero, pricey

2. Allez Sprint- very stiff, good aero, cheap

3. Aeroad- stiff, very good aero, comfortable

Visqu

by Visqu

Take two.

I have a rim brake Aeroad and a disc brake SL6 :)
Aeroad is fast, SL6 is more fun.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Id go Allez sprint out of those three, although i prefer carbon. I just dont dig the look of the SL6 and the Aeroad...well, it's a Canyon so no thanks.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

calleking

by calleking

I had both the Aeroad CF SLX and an S-Works SL6. Both rim braked with DI2. Enve 4.5 SES.

Both were a joy to ride. I had the SL6 with Aerofly handlebars so it was very close in terms of aero.

The Aeroad was maybe a bit faster at high speeds but honestly not much of a difference.

The SL6 was in the other hand more fun to ride, very stiff and snappy when accelerating. Best bike I ever had. I would be happy riding either depending on budget. They are great bikes.

The CAAD12 I have now is also very good in terms of performance and if you factor in the money spent then it is hard to justify anything else really.

I think you will be perfectly happy with an Allez Sprint if you want to go for something cheaper.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Thanks guys, great replies!

The ´aeroness´ of the Aeroad impress me and being older bike, it´s significantly cheaper than SL6. Allez Sprint is cheapest with great Peter Sagan paintjob, but not very light and I have doubts it would be comfortable for longer rides.

@calleking: Can you please compare Aeroad and SL6 in terms of BB and HT stiffness, accelerating, ride comfort?

Thanks

calleking

by calleking

SL6 is slightly more comfortable I'd say
SL6 is perhaps slightly more stiff in BB area
SL6 was much stiffer up front (Zipp Sprint SL + Aerofly vs H11 Aerocockpit, both 42cm)
Aeroad holds speed slightly better but it all depends on your SL6 setup

I think the biggest difference between them was that the SL6 put a smile on your face when you smashed a shorter hill. It accelerates instantly and the front end of the bike being stiff adds to the experience when going up hills. The Aeroad was probably just as fast but felt a bit more muted.

Still, the Aeroad was fantastic. To be honest I switched to the S-Works SL6 because where I live just about everyone had a black Aeroad CF SLX.
Looking at the money spent and the performance gained I should never have sold the Aeroad :-)

You will be happy with any of those bikes. Good luck!
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

zmjones

by zmjones

i only have an aeroad cf slx disc (17 red one) but thought i'd chime in.

the front end is definitely flexy if you sprint but it really is fine after you've gotten used to it. the bike is obscenely fast and can also fit a very wide tire. i've done gravel races on it. much faster than the tcr it replaced in every respect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Thanks both!
SL6 is undoubtedly fantastic bike, but I tend to go for Aeroad, it´s most aero, still good looking, much cheaper than SL6 and not much more expensive than Allez Sprint.
But I´ve read mixed opinions about it´s stiffness. Some reviews say it´s rock solid (including Tour lab tests) and some say it´s aero, but not very stiff at BB and HT. I need the bike that can sprint as well.