Aethos: Weird creaking/noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Axle may not be tight. Use loctite blue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:05 pm
I had a creak on my Parlee.. finally tracked down to rear hanger was every so slightly loose. It can be frustratiing.
+1

Also my most recent in a long long list of creaks. Usually it's quick release/body/pedal related. Then the interesting part starts with chainrings, derailleur hangers, spoke niples and the like. Only very few times it was the actual bottom bracket which usually undeservedly gets the spot as No.1 suspect.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

flyordie

by flyordie

Hey. Thanks for all the feedback:
- It's when standing up, at the frequency of pedaling right before the bottom point
- It's not the wheels since it's happening with multiple wheels
- I took the hanger off and cleaned and greased everything and also put on a Tarmac TA. Creak went away for a bit but came back.
- Switched cranks and BB too again just to rule that one out. Results TBD

Real head scratcher here...

AethosCreak1

by AethosCreak1

Hi, I've actually got an Aethos frame that seems to have this exact same creak. I wanted to see if you ever made progress with it, and if so what finally worked? I have also switched out basically every part that could have been causing the noise, including the rear wheel, freehub body, cassette, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, shoes, and hanger. I just wanted to see what became of your frame, since you have a few month headstart on me chasing what seems to be the same problem. Thanks.

caballero

by caballero

I guess one of the benefits of owning a super six evo you know the creaks coming from the seat clamp 🤣

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Is it a creak or a rattle? Is it happening on good and bad roads and only when you put force standing on the pedals? Did you check the handlebar?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

After chasing the usual suspects, I have also had front mech hanger cause power related creak as frame gently flexed around fixed point.

AethosCreak1

by AethosCreak1

Thanks for trying to help, everyone. My creak happens whether I'm sitting or standing, but I have switched out the saddle for unrelated reasons and of course that didn't help. It's not a rattle and doesn't happen in any certain road condition, rough or smooth surface doesn't seem to matter. I have checked the handlebar, it's the alpinist cockpit so there's really only the headset preload and stem pinch bolts, but I took the bars off and cleaned/greased the headset, and that also didn't help.

Front mech hanger is an interesting one, ghisallo2003, how did you fix this once you identified it?

As with flyordie and his creak, I feel like mine is coming from the interface between the rear thru axle, driveside hub endcap, and the der hanger. Whenever I remove the wheel and clean or work on that area of the bike the creak goes away or changes for a few minutes. There is also now some anodization worn off from that hub endcap and from the corresponding place of the hanger that the endcap sits against. I have gone through every bolt on the bike with a torque wrench, including the hanger and rear thru axle. Thanks again.

NHWhites

by NHWhites

Hi,

I have a very new (July 2 purchase) Aethos Pro. Never heard any noise on the test rides. Then one day about mid July, I came to a stop after a short warm up, as I began to hammer out of the saddle, I heard the sound you have described. Clearly coming from the rear axle, hub, cassette area. Went away when I sat down, but still pedaling hard. On that ride, I heard it only in standing hard efforts from a stop. If I was seated riding hard, then stood and hammered, the rear was quieter. When I got home I pulled the rear wheel (stock Roval Alpinist CL with DT hubs). Cassette lock ring was tight. I could, however, move the cassette a little side to side. Like it wasn't tight on the freehub. 11-34 ultegra. I know this cassette actually fits 10 speed free hubs, but just uses a spacer on the inside to take up the space on an 11 speed freehub. I pulled the cassette, checked that the spacer was in place. Seems the axle, hub and end caps all tighten up once the wheel is mounted and appears to be a little finicky when mounting. I carefully remounted and torqued axle to spec. Sound when hammering out of the saddle is much less.

Spokes do squeak/creak as others have noted requiring a little oil.
2021 Specialized Aethos Pro Ultegra Di2
2019 Cannondale Topstone AL 105
2011 Cervelo R3 Rival

Zero7

by Zero7

The last creak I had ending up being a Dura Ace 9100 cassette. A cheap sun race and also Ultegra cassette had no creak. I bought a new Dura Ace and within a few hundred miles it started to creak worse than the original one. Got it warranted from Shimano and sold the replacement they sent me.
An Ultegra cassette has been on since with no issues at all.
And yes finding a creak can be a pita. Good luck

takolino

by takolino

Another area to check is the seat tube/seat post area since it happens when you pedal out of the saddle. Carbon paste, collar torqued to spec, etc. Maybe even remove bottle cages just to be sure. Check torque on rear caliper bolts? Loose battery/cable in the seat tube? Hope you find the culprit.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Chainring bolts?

flyordie

by flyordie

Hey. Sorry I didn't close this out. So mine ended up disappearing after a while and what I believe did the trick was
- removing the derailleur hanger
- cleaning and greasing where it touches the frame
- putting it back on but leaving the little screw that hold it loose (hanger still wiggles)
- Putting the wheel in and tighten the TA
- Tighten the little screw

If you ever put an Aethos on a kickr you will see how much the rear triangle moves, so I'm not surprised by the noise. Weirdly enough my Epic had the same issue and the cleaning and greasing also did the trick. I think I tried it on the Aethos before and it didn't work but I believe I didn't loosen the little screw. It might also just be things settling in....

Sounds like exactly the same experience @AethosCreak1

AethosCreak1

by AethosCreak1

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm very glad to share that Flyordie's advice helped greatly and my Aethos is now creak free. It seems very important to tighten the thru axle before the hanger bolt, and once I did this it was pretty much perfect right away. I do think that this has to do with flex in the rear triangle, although the bike has a springy ride quality that I find very enjoyable, so I don't see this as a problem.

Thanks!

flyordie

by flyordie

Stoked it worked for you too!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com