Help me choose some tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Another vote for gp5k
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I don't rate tubeless on 25s. Starts to make sense on 28s, and a must on 32s. I'm sure there are parts of the world (goat head thorns??) where it makes more sense.
The regular version of that tyre with a latex tube is faster, lighter, cheaper, easier to set up and you don't have to remember to top your sealant up.

On crap UK roads in the winter I run the tubeless 32s at 40-50 psi and they are a revelation.

DHG01

by DHG01

raggedtrousers wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:04 am

3. I've asked about Rene Herse in a different thread, but another option is the Enve SES 27s. The 27 option might offset my tyre aeronexia, and I can get them at something of a discount.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks all
I thought I read Enve tyres were made by Tufo and had pretty average rolling resistance.

Go ahead and try something new.
I don't really see a purpose for tubeless; it can get pretty messy.

I would go for soft tyres (Rene Herse, Vittoria) with latex inner tubes. The drum tends to undervalue softer tyres, so the rr is better that what is typically shown on tests.

Where I ride, roads are fine, so don't really need 28mm; I wouldn't worry much about aero if your down tube is beefy. It is quite pleasant to ride soft tyres that are a bit wider and at lower pressures. What I don't like about wider tyres is the bouncing of larger tyres when you get on your feet or ride at a high cadence and speed.

DHG01

by DHG01

Another note on tubeless; I would also avoid if you ride several bikes as the sealant is more likely to dry.

HeyHiWhatsUp

by HeyHiWhatsUp

petromyzon wrote:I don't rate tubeless on 25s. Starts to make sense on 28s, and a must on 32s. I'm sure there are parts of the world (goat head thorns??) where it makes more sense.
The regular version of that tyre with a latex tube is faster, lighter, cheaper, easier to set up and you don't have to remember to top your sealant up.

On crap UK roads in the winter I run the tubeless 32s at 40-50 psi and they are a revelation.
Hey I have a question about UK cycling in winter. What do you have to do differently? Does the cold crack the tyre rubber?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Nothing really! It's just wet with a lot of debris in the road and it's cold enough that you don't want to risk too many punctures. So people tend to run more puncture resistant rubber.

I've not come across rubber cracking but it rarely goes below -5C here. I know UV causes rubber to crack.

milanv

by milanv

DHG01 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:50 pm
raggedtrousers wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:04 am

3. I've asked about Rene Herse in a different thread, but another option is the Enve SES 27s. The 27 option might offset my tyre aeronexia, and I can get them at something of a discount.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks all
I thought I read Enve tyres were made by Tufo and had pretty average rolling resistance.

Go ahead and try something new.
I don't really see a purpose for tubeless; it can get pretty messy.

I would go for soft tyres (Rene Herse, Vittoria) with latex inner tubes. The drum tends to undervalue softer tyres, so the rr is better that what is typically shown on tests.

Where I ride, roads are fine, so don't really need 28mm; I wouldn't worry much about aero if your down tube is beefy. It is quite pleasant to ride soft tyres that are a bit wider and at lower pressures. What I don't like about wider tyres is the bouncing of larger tyres when you get on your feet or ride at a high cadence and speed.
Yes, Enve tyres are made by Czech company Tufo with many years of tubulars + CX experience.

DHG01

by DHG01

milanv wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:27 pm
Yes, Enve tyres are made by Czech company Tufo with many years of tubulars + CX experience.
I think they also manufacturer for Donnelly.

Within the CX range, I ve used Flexus Dry and the softer compound Flexus Dry Plus. The are light and seal well; puncture resistance is not good and ride extremely harsh.

S33s defeat any purpose why to use tubular; S3 is more interesting; very good puncture resistance and not as harsh. Still far from any decent tubular.

Tufo have excellent distribution (at least in Madrid), seal very well and marketed their sealant alongside (Tufo/Tufo Extreme/Tufo Carbon). But rolling resistance is not good.

Not sure if the clinchers are any better.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Can I ask a question about comfort?

For a 25mm tubless setup would I notice the difference in comfort between a Vittoria Corsa with its 320tpi cotton carcass and a GP5000, or Schwalbe Pro One with their nylon carcasses?

I have always thought Corsas absorb road bumps better than nylon tyres, but I prefer the rolling resistance of the GP5000, or the Schwalbe.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Miller

by Miller

A great deal of comfort comes straight from the combination of tyre width and pressure. I think the contribution of the specific casing is minimal, not undetectable but not major, if width and pressure is equal across types.

Fwiw I think the schwalbes feel slightly nicer than the GP5K but I'm very happy to ride both.

DHG01

by DHG01

Nickldn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 pm

For a 25mm tubless setup would I notice the difference in comfort between a Vittoria Corsa with its 320tpi cotton carcass and a GP5000, or Schwalbe Pro One with their nylon carcasses?

I have always thought Corsas absorb road bumps better than nylon tyres, but I prefer the rolling resistance of the GP5000, or the Schwalbe.

How do you know GP5000 have better rolling resistance?
They are, undoubtedly, excellent tyres. But BRRs underestimates soft compound (like Corsa) and overestimates harder compounds like Conti. This is due both to the drum pushing the tyre in and deforming the softer tyre more.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

DHG01 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 pm

How do you know GP5000 have better rolling resistance?
They are, undoubtedly, excellent tyres. But BRRs underestimates soft compound (like Corsa) and overestimates harder compounds like Conti. This is due both to the drum pushing the tyre in and deforming the softer tyre more.
Actually going by Aero-coach tests:

https://aero-coach.co.uk/time-trial-rol ... 1619710277

Xav from Aero-coach has posted on here in the Vittoria Corsa thread to say the published data matches closely to physical tests they did.

I really like the way Corsas ride, but wondering if some others will roll noticeably faster.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

DHG01

by DHG01

The test is done on rollers, right? I think it presents similar challenges to the drum (?).

Btw, excellent results from Tufo Calibra. Hadn't seen it before.
Last edited by DHG01 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

The reason I don't buy the 'high tpi cotton casings test slow on rollers/drums' argument is that the 2 fastest tyres in the Aero-coach tests have high tpi cotton casings. Yet the Corsa G+2.0 tests slow.

How do you account for this?

DHG01

by DHG01

Thicker casing? Not sure.
But those are separate dimensions, aren't they?
1. The drum is a good way to estimate rr, but not perfect.

2. With the drum, softer casings tyres are penalized versus harder tyres.

3. Cotton casing is not the only factor driving rr.

I haven't ridden tubeless for a couple years. Within tubulars, I think I do appreciate a bit more comfort with softer tyres and latex inner tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com