Removing Go faster stripes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

My Giant TCR paint job is getting a bit dated and I didn't want to get it resprayed so I thought I would remove some of the logos, I chose the chainstay as I could cover it up if it went wrong. I used a craft knife blade and wet and dry sanding paper and finished with polish. I am now debating doing the same for the forks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

js

by js

That's a great result. I'll applaud your patience, as that's always the key to success in projects like this - at least from my experience. Nice work!

nowtaps

by nowtaps

Wow looks really nice. Can you tell the difference between the sanded and non-sanded surface after polishing?

also, fwiw, I coated my fork with black matte plastidip to get rid of the graphics and it works very well. Didn't even remove the fork from the frame and it only took about an hour of work.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

A quick update I have removed the advanced decal and the go-faster stripe/ logo from the down tube, I had to get some touch-up paint where I got a little carried away. Anyway, I think it looks cleaner now. Image

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

nowtaps wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 am
Wow looks really nice. Can you tell the difference between the sanded and non-sanded surface after polishing?

also, fwiw, I coated my fork with black matte plastidip to get rid of the graphics and it works very well. Didn't even remove the fork from the frame and it only took about an hour of work.
Hi , you can't really tell the difference, but the layer of orange is quite thin and rather easy to sand through.

ohexploitable

by ohexploitable

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:23 pm
A quick update I have removed the advanced decal and the go-faster stripe/ logo from the down tube, I had to get some touch-up paint where I got a little carried away. Anyway, I think it looks cleaner now. Image
looks a lot worse now imo, i'd switch it back to the old logo

c60rider

by c60rider

ohexploitable wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:52 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:23 pm
A quick update I have removed the advanced decal and the go-faster stripe/ logo from the down tube, I had to get some touch-up paint where I got a little carried away. Anyway, I think it looks cleaner now.
looks a lot worse now imo, i'd switch it back to the old logo
Erm he's removed it so there's no going back unless he goes through the faff of having new decals made....

jphu

by jphu

looks a bit weird now with just the giant logo in that font. i actually like the retro look. but if you're happy, that's all that matters! happy riding.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

jphu wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 pm
looks a bit weird now with just the giant logo in that font. i actually like the retro look. but if you're happy, that's all that matters! happy riding.
Thanks, If I want to go retro I just ride this! :D

iamraymond

by iamraymond

The font doesn’t match the bike. Almost makes it look like a counterfeit frame. Get a black, grey or white decal made in the new font and it’ll modernize the look a lot more IMO

Discodan

by Discodan

I did something similar a few years ago on an earlier TCR that origanally had the 'old' font you've now used. I had some stickers made up in the 'new' font you've just removed but without all of the other visual clutter (I added my own clutter on the top tube as you can see).

Hopefully I can make the image work :)

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Thanks for the feedback!
Discordant where did you get the decals from?
Iamraymond I agree I think black would look better, and perhaps in a larger size?

Discodan

by Discodan

I had them custom made, pretty economical and I can shoot you the images if you want to go down that path. That was a few years ago when that font was new so was hard to find, I'm guessing you could get them off ebay now

edit: sure can, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18323986265 ... SwqYZbBlt-

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:43 pm
The font doesn’t match the bike. Almost makes it look like a counterfeit frame. Get a black, grey or white decal made in the new font and it’ll modernize the look a lot more IMO
I took your advice, I tried silver, but it didn't seem to contrast well with the orange. I don't know why the orange seems to be in two tone in the photograph,its not like that IRL.
Also in this picture is a polished UNO stem. Image