Etap AXS XPLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Trkorb

by Trkorb

News from the street...

New 1x specific rear derailleurs at all eTap levels along with 10-44 cassettes are coming very soon.

It's finally happening!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

What's the source? Googling "sram axs xplr" gives zero relevant results so not even rumors on other forums as far as I can tell. If this is happening I don't get why they didn't announce it along with GX or Rival. Sure they get to stay a little bit longer in the news cycle I guess, but will surely alienate/anger customers who just bought either of those two but would rather have had parts compatible with this new gearing ratio…

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Someone has to be first I guess.. you can quote this forum rumor as the source now :lol: .

I do agree it's wierd that they would launch this a month after the Rival stuff... But I imagine they are in the position of just launch it when it's ready.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

SRAM really are rubbing thier superior supply chain in Shimano's face if this is true (and they can ship it). So many new releases this year!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

SLH

by SLH

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm
SRAM really are rubbing thier superior supply chain in Shimano's face if this is true (and they can ship it). So many new releases this year!
This superior supply chain certainly doesn't apply to the Red AXS group set I've had on order for 6 weeks, with no real ETA.
Look 795 Blade RS
Sram Red AXS
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 50

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm
Eh. Next availability of aftermarket Red AXS flat mount groupsets in the UK is February 2022. It's not just Shimano's supply chain that's struggling.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's been bad for a few months, but I was able to get my Red/Eagle mullet build parts within a week back in September. I was considering GRX too, but they were already saddled with 2-3mo backorders for Shimano parts by then.

Looks like Red 2x HRD has backorder date of late May in the US.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

They didn't make a comparison with SRAM, but one of the CyclingTips Podcasts stated that Shimano is institutionally conservative. They are not confident that the bump in demand will be permanent and are therefore not keen to invest in substantially increasing manufacturing capacity.
Seems a bit crazy to me when we read of people stuggling to get parts up to 12 months after a DA or XTR launch but I suppose for the remaining 2-3 years of the cycle they don't want a relative oversupply of the premium stuff.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:35 am
They didn't make a comparison with SRAM, but one of the CyclingTips Podcasts stated that Shimano is institutionally conservative. They are not confident that the bump in demand will be permanent and are therefore not keen to invest in substantially increasing manufacturing capacity.
Seems a bit crazy to me when we read of people stuggling to get parts up to 12 months after a DA or XTR launch but I suppose for the remaining 2-3 years of the cycle they don't want a relative oversupply of the premium stuff.

You wouldn't expand a factory for a short-term spike in demand and neither would they. To use another industry example, the whisky business has the monumental task of trying to predict demand 10-20 years in advance. At least whisky is a consumable...bikes are not. There is most likely going to be a huge spike in second-hand bike sales in the coming years that will eat into sales numbers. The Pros Closet is already preparing for this...they quintupled their building space in 2020.

gSporco

by gSporco

This would be awesome!! I wanted something other than the 9-46 eThirteen cassette for some time now.. 10-40,10-42, 10-44 would be awesome!!! And I will ditch the FD forever!!
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

petromyzon wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:35 am
... Shimano is institutionally conservative. They are not confident that the bump in demand will be permanent and are therefore not keen to invest in substantially increasing manufacturing capacity.
Which is the sensible approach... assuming that their competitors can't match the increase in demand either. If they can, Shimano will lose market share. However, it seems nobody gambled and all the companies took the conservative route, which given the other problems brought on by CV19, the container shortage, etc, probably makes sense.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Yeah I don't disagree. But if you read the new DuraAce thread people are super upset; Shimano is either about to go bankrupt or all their employees will end up impaled on the pitchforks of the WW mob!

ooo

by ooo

if xlplr rear derailleur is 12 speed, it can also be used with shimano 12 speed 10-45 cassette

sram vs shimano 12sp cassette width difference is 1.2 mm, it seems close enough
'

henau212

by henau212

Trkorb wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
News from the street...

New 1x specific rear derailleurs at all eTap levels along with 10-44 cassettes are coming very soon.

It's finally happening!
That would be the dream coming true. I always thought that the gap between 10-36 and 10-50 was too big and was waiting either for that or GRX 12sp (whenever that will be coming).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goatalope

by goatalope

Trkorb wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am
News from the street...

It's finally happening!
This would be spectacular. Make it 13 speed while at it.

Skip all these different cassettes they have now. Just 3: 10-30 13 speed for roadies. 10-44 13 speed for gravel. 10-52 for mtbs.