New Crit Build : Any competitors to Spesh Allez Sprint in its class?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yoln

by Yoln

Hi,

I am seriously considering a Crit N+1 as I am currently racing the Linskey (too afraid to crash the Wilier) for anything else than TT Fondos and hilly races, which is still more than 50% of my season.

I am not super happy with the lateral stiffness of the Lynskey (it's an amazing bike, I love the feel of it, but BB stiffness is far from what I would ultimately want).

So, long story short, I'm looking into a new Aluminum build. For races of less than 1h30, where confort doesn't matter, and stiffness mattters a lot (and aero too). I've always loved the Allez Sprint, and never really liked the Caad. But I wondered if there is anything else in this range?

The Allez Sprint is probably the only Spesh that I find exciting (understand quirky and unique) and I wouldn't be unhappy with it. But if there is some less known brand (Italian possibly?) that make some nice stiff and aero aluminum frame I would probably be even happier.

I've been looking into Weiss frames recently (cause it's local and unusual, happy to have some experience feedback if anybody owns one too)!

Thanks for your help :)
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Bowman Palace maybe? A Low?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vinc

by vinc

Standert Kreissäge

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Broady

by Broady

Bowman Palace R, I've been on one (rim brake) for a few months, tremendous bike.

Yoln

by Yoln

Broady wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:14 pm
Bowman Palace R, I've been on one (rim brake) for a few months, tremendous bike.
I like the look, I love the price! But they don't seem super aero...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

The Spooky STGE (if your budget allows) could be worth considering. I like the Bowman Palace too. Alternatively, you could browse the classifieds for the first gen Kinesis Aithein Evo. The first gen Aithein Evo had really long and low geometry that was akin to the Allez Sprint. They decreased the reach and increased the stack for the updated version, which made it no longer suitable as a crit bike (for me, at least).

Personally, I wouldn't say the Allez Sprint is particularly aero, especially with it's huge, cylindrical downtube. A narrow, aero handlebar and deep section wheels probably would make a much larger difference, aero wise. I'd also much prefer a round 27.2mm seat post that allows much convenient fine tuning of my position by swapping posts with different setbacks rather than an aero proprietary one. However, I do agree that the Allez Sprint is in a class of it's own when it comes to a widely available and fairly affordable metal bike for crit racing at the moment.
Last edited by Chlorophyll15 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

sychen

by sychen

The ol Cannondale CAADs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Broady

by Broady

Yoln wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:33 am
Broady wrote:
There's a surprising amount of tube shaping going on that's not obvious at first glance.

With a decent set of wheels / bars I'd imagine all Alu frames are about the same from an aero perspective.

Gary71

by Gary71

Yoln wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:33 am
Broady wrote:
Just slam the stem, wack on narrow bars and you'll be fine. :D
I have a Palace R (Rim) and this thing handles and jumps out of the blocks like a jackrabbit

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 am
Personally, I wouldn't say the Allez Sprint is particularly aero, especially with it's huge, cylindrical downtube.
In TourMag aero test Allez Sprint scored at 219w with round handlebar and crappy wheels. I think pretty impressive result. Even with aero handlebar only it is in 214w range- 3 watts slower than Scott Foil and faster than Ridley Noah or Merida Reacto.

Plus the Allez Sprint is stiffer than most of high end carbon bikes. OP won´t find better bike in this category, Sprint has no competition.
Unfortunately it´s pretty hard to find new frame or bike at the moment.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Allez Sprint is a nice bike, but nothing special about it. I used to race on it and it felt fast. But not faster than any other solid aluminium frame. Also had a Felt FA frame at the time. With the same wheels i couldn't tell a difference. If i was about to build another alu crit bike, i would choose the cheapest available frame.

alanyu

by alanyu

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 am
Personally, I wouldn't say the Allez Sprint is particularly aero, especially with it's huge, cylindrical downtube.
In TourMag aero test Allez Sprint scored at 219w with round handlebar and crappy wheels. I think pretty impressive result. Even with aero handlebar only it is in 214w range- 3 watts slower than Scott Foil and faster than Ridley Noah or Merida Reacto.

Plus the Allez Sprint is stiffer than most of high end carbon bikes. OP won´t find better bike in this category, Sprint has no competition.
Unfortunately it´s pretty hard to find new frame or bike at the moment.
Really? Tarmac SL6 rim brake scored at 220 W with round bar and CLX50. lol

jesper2913

by jesper2913

Just curious. What is a critframe/critbike?

I know what crits are, and I understand, why you want aero and stiff. But why not just use the best bike in your garage?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Because race what you can replace. Chances of crashing and damaging the bike are high, so some people rather use less expensive equipment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 am
Just curious. What is a critframe/critbike?

I know what crits are, and I understand, why you want aero and stiff. But why not just use the best bike in your garage?
Mainly because of cost, a lot of crits are crashfests especially in the lower categories. Not knocking anyone but there a lot of people out there who think they are fast on their own but have no idea how to ride in a bunch