New Crit Build : Any competitors to Spesh Allez Sprint in its class?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomato

by tomato

jesper2913 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:32 am
The crash is a really stupid one. Both guys making mistakes.
I can't remember the last time I saw a smart crash.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rubik

by Rubik

fizzaz wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:52 pm
Rubik wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 pm
fizzaz wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:03 pm
Crit sprints are not road sprints. The aero loss or gain from the frame in either instance is still not what they would have you believe. I fully trust that aero frames are faster, but that doesn't mean that *you* are faster on them. Crit sprints are positioning into the sprint and execution. Rarely are they about power or how aero you are.
One year it was something like 17 out of 19 of our local p/1/2 crits ended in a break. Aero matters quite a bit.

That's the case most years. And the P/1 crits I do typically average in the 29-31 mph range, in which case, yeah, aero still matters.

Unless you're racing me. Then by all means, throw your gatorskins on to your box section wheels and have at it on your completely unaero bike because it's all just marketing and windtunnels.
K. Never said you should rock gatorskins or ox section wheels, but cool strawman. Also, I know you aren't anything to worry about just from that post so.

Sure, lots of crits end up in breaks, but i'm not even gonna down the pointless argument of what you guys obsess over in here.
It's not a strawman, it's a joke.

You're not? But the multiple posts you've already made suggest otherwise...

Rubik

by Rubik

maxim809 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:50 pm

For those fortunate enough to have multiple bikes and asking about why not race your best, it's about the unavoidable crashes that were never in your control. Imagine snapping your $5k frame and fraying your $2k wheels simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Somehow, it's easier to justify a total loss if it were all on me. But it'd be extremely frustrating to lose the Sunday Best from a pile up that was no fault of my own other than the fact that I showed up and decided to participate in a race I optimistically was hoping would go smoothly like the last.
That applies to absolutely everything, including just going out on a solo ride. If you were to take such a process to its logical conclusion, you'd simply hang your bike on the wall in a bomb-proof shelter, because pretty much anything else involves some aspect of risk.

It's illogical, but most arguments like this are.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Just pick up a Winspace T1500, way more aero and you can pick up their aero handle bars and still be the same price as the Sprint. But if brand labels do it for you then, guess not.

Check out the videos by Cam Nicholls for validation of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesper2913

by jesper2913

tomato wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:11 pm
jesper2913 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:32 am
The crash is a really stupid one. Both guys making mistakes.
I can't remember the last time I saw a smart crash.
Some are caused by being unfortunate, some by other peoples stupidity, some by your own stupidity.

chicagorider

by chicagorider

Just got a Fuji SL-A frameset (rim brake) from eBay. It feels just as stiff as my CAAD10. Geo wise the front is lower than the CAAD.
PXL_20210425_121453153~2.jpg
[Edit: I think the Fuji is more comfortable too due to the downward top tube so that more seatpost is exposed. Guess like the TCR.]
Last edited by chicagorider on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Disposable? Cheap? Fast?

I'd go 1st gen Venge. Ticks all three boxes with reasonable weight, cost, geometry.

For a crit rat?

Do it with 10 speed Ultegra / DA, plentiful parts including aero wheels, aero bars, cheap chains and cassettes.
Attachments
aero-road-bikes-Specialized-McLaren-Venge.jpg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

alanyu wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 am
Personally, I wouldn't say the Allez Sprint is particularly aero, especially with it's huge, cylindrical downtube.
In TourMag aero test Allez Sprint scored at 219w with round handlebar and crappy wheels. I think pretty impressive result. Even with aero handlebar only it is in 214w range- 3 watts slower than Scott Foil and faster than Ridley Noah or Merida Reacto.

Plus the Allez Sprint is stiffer than most of high end carbon bikes. OP won´t find better bike in this category, Sprint has no competition.
Unfortunately it´s pretty hard to find new frame or bike at the moment.
Really? Tarmac SL6 rim brake scored at 220 W with round bar and CLX50. lol
It´s a bit crazy, but yes, Allez Sprint is more aero than SL6 :noidea:
Btw. Tarmac SL6 scored at 221w, so AS is 2 watts faster with much cheaper wheelset.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

No. I just checked. Allez Sprint basic rim brake setup = 230w Similar Emonda = 236w Aeroroad = 212w

SL7 (full kit) = 210w Tarmac Disc (prior version basic) = 237w (with 404s) 224w

Allez Spring 230w basic
SL7 disc would be ~223w with basic wheels; the bars are worth ~4w

vegardma

by vegardma

Matt28NJ wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:07 am
Disposable? Cheap? Fast?

I'd go 1st gen Venge. Ticks all three boxes with reasonable weight, cost, geometry.

For a crit rat?

Do it with 10 speed Ultegra / DA, plentiful parts including aero wheels, aero bars, cheap chains and cassettes.
Isn't the Allez Sprint supposedly more aero than the 1. gen Venge?

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

chicagorider wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:18 am
Just got a Fuji SL-A frameset (rim brake) from eBay. It feels just as stiff as my CAAD10. Geo wise the front is lower than the CAAD.
PXL_20210425_121453153~2.jpg

[Edit: I think the Fuji is more comfortable too due to the downward top tube so that more seatpost is exposed. Guess like the TCR.]
Oooooh, how'd you like it? I've been eyeing these for a while. Did you happen to weigh the frame before you bult it? I've been super curious about these frames!
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Roadrocket wrote:
alanyu wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am
Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 pm
Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 am
Personally, I wouldn't say the Allez Sprint is particularly aero, especially with it's huge, cylindrical downtube.
In TourMag aero test Allez Sprint scored at 219w with round handlebar and crappy wheels. I think pretty impressive result. Even with aero handlebar only it is in 214w range- 3 watts slower than Scott Foil and faster than Ridley Noah or Merida Reacto.

Plus the Allez Sprint is stiffer than most of high end carbon bikes. OP won´t find better bike in this category, Sprint has no competition.
Unfortunately it´s pretty hard to find new frame or bike at the moment.
Really? Tarmac SL6 rim brake scored at 220 W with round bar and CLX50. lol
It´s a bit crazy, but yes, Allez Sprint is more aero than SL6 :noidea:
Btw. Tarmac SL6 scored at 221w, so AS is 2 watts faster with much cheaper wheelset.
With a direct headwind, I bet it evens out with the SL6 when the yaw again changes. The ride quality with the recycled 1st Gen Venge seat post results in little dampening of road vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk