Power differences between Strava, Garmin & Quarq

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tonytony

by Tonytony

Last ride my (avg/NP) power was:
Garmin: 213W/231W
Strava: 185W/219W
Quarq: 178W/228W

The difference in avg power between Strava and Quarq comes from moving time vs elapsed time. But how is the difference so big between my head unit and Strava? Is it because my head unit records without zeros? When I compare to other riders who are riding with me (almost the same weight and effort), they have higher numbers on strava but almost equal on their head unit.

I have a garmin edge 530 and quarq sram axs D1 powermeter.
I've read that more users of the edge 530 are have this issue.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Probably yes, recording zero cadence or zero power vs omitting that data entirely while still moving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tonytony

by Tonytony

The avg of the power and cadence is higher if you record without zeros, am I right? But strava is taking the data with zeros

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Strava does use it own map data to calculate speed, distance, elevation correction, etc. That's why you'll see crazy speeds or elevation if your GPS erroneously has you riding off the edge of a mountain road. I could see how that would would result in a different "moving time."
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Tonytony wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am
The avg of the power and cadence is higher if you record without zeros, am I right? But strava is taking the data with zeros
It is convention to include zeros when averaging power but remove them when averaging cadence.

Tonytony

by Tonytony

Thnx!!

reedplayer

by reedplayer

...and: dont be surprised about diferences in "NP" ("XP" at strava) between "garmin" and "strava", even, if "AP" is identical. they are using slightly different algorithms ("garmin" is always calculating higher numbers).

strava (using the same algorithm like golden cheetah) is closer to reality.

regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com