Brand new Specialized Tarmac SL6...structural defects (?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matteof93

by matteof93

Today I received my Specialized Tarmac SL6 Sport (2021 model). While inspecting the bike after the delivery, I noticed three problems:
  • there is some sort of bubble on the steerer tube, I can feel it very clearly with my fingers. I suppose this is a problem of poor compaction of the carbon, leading to a void under the surface of the steerer tube. Below there is a video where I tap the fork with a little piece of steel, turn up the volume, you will hear a very different pitch in the sound produced when tapping on the void part.
  • there is an area on the top tube where carbon layers are missing. again, I can feel a little "dent" with my fingers...and it certainly does not look good.
  • I suppose that there is also some problem with the rear derailleur and the derailleur hanger...they both look significantly bent.
Opinions?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

tjvirden

by tjvirden

matteof93 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 pm
Today I received my Specialized Tarmac SL6 Sport (2021 model). While inspecting the bike after the delivery, I noticed three problems:
  • there is some sort of bubble on the steerer tube, I can feel it very clearly with my fingers. I suppose this is a problem of poor compaction of the carbon, leading to a void under the surface of the steerer tube. Below there is a video where I tap the fork with a little piece of steel, turn up the volume, you will hear a very different pitch in the sound produced when tapping on the void part.
  • there is an area on the top tube where carbon layers are missing. again, I can feel a little "dent" with my fingers...and it certainly does not look good.
  • I suppose that there is also some problem with the rear derailleur and the derailleur hanger...they both look significantly bent.
Opinions?
Send it back!
Rear mech is obvious storage/transit damage. The frame defects are just that - defective manufacture.
Did you buy it from an official Specialized dealer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com