Shimano new Di2 groupsets Dura-ace, Ultegra and 105

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So, what if it is
Dura-ace: 12sp mechanical and Di2, rim and disc
Ultegra: 12sp Di2 only, rim and disc
105: 12sp mechanical and Di2, disc only
Tiagra: 11sp mechanical only, rim and disc
Sora: 10sp, Claris 9 speed , Tourney 8 speed below them

Would the price bracket make sense in this case?
By introducing 105 di2, Ultegra mechanical must go. Because they crash in price point. Dura-ace mech can exist despite the existence of Ultegra Di2 because people still want flagship mech groupset.
Due to low demand, rim brake only have choice of Tiagra (11sp mech) Ultegra (di2) and DA (di2 and mech), not counting Sora 10sp and below.
Could this create a decent price line up with less SKU?

by Weenie

Hectorsanzv

by Hectorsanzv

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
So, what if it is
Dura-ace: 12sp mechanical and Di2, rim and disc
Ultegra: 12sp Di2 only, rim and disc
105: 12sp mechanical and Di2, disc only
Tiagra: 11sp mechanical only, rim and disc
Sora: 10sp, Claris 9 speed , Tourney 8 speed below them

Would the price bracket make sense in this case?
By introducing 105 di2, Ultegra mechanical must go. Because they crash in price point. Dura-ace mech can exist despite the existence of Ultegra Di2 because people still want flagship mech groupset.
Due to low demand, rim brake only have choice of Tiagra (11sp mech) Ultegra (di2) and DA (di2 and mech), not counting Sora 10sp and below.
Could this create a decent price line up with less SKU?
I don't think Ultegra mechanical must go, actually I think mechanical groupsets will be upgraded too, but next year. On the other hand 105 Di2 will be much higher end price than Ultegra mechanical (current Ultegra and 105 mechanical ones are actually very similar on prices). I think prices will be similar than the SRAM ones, not cheaper as they are now, at least at the begining.
My guess on prices is (disc brackes and euros):
New Ultegra di2 2000
New 105 di2 1500
Ultegra mech 1000
105 mech 700

trainergav

by trainergav

Hectorsanzv wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Is this industry ever going to stop cheating customers?
I'm not sure why why people think that an increase in prices or not being able to get a discount from a store means that the industry is cheating customers? Running a bike shop is hardly lucrative, and there are huge risks to running a small scale retail business. I would argue that if you want the shops to be around to help you when you accidentally bend your derailleur hanger or have a di2 malfunction you should support them when you have the opportunity. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it just doesn't make sense financially to buy something from a shop because their cost is more than you can get it for online, but if it's in the same ballpark why not? Just my 2 cents on this as a customer.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I am starting to lose faith in LBS based on my recent experiences. I blame the bike boom. With Amazon Prime, Youtube, direct to consumer and Google, I don't see many reasons to visit LBS anymore.

Also, mechanical will be cool again. Cycling is cyclical, literally.

gurk700

by gurk700

Why am I not able to find this new BMC line up? OP makes it sound like this is public info which is why I'm asking

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Hectorsanzv wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm
On the other hand, BMC took advantage of that, and has decided to increase their prices for same bikes configurations, around 500$ and above between 2021 and 2022 models, you never know how expensive new paints can be in 2022 :roll: LOL. Is this industry ever going to stop cheating customers?
Global shipment cost increased 3 fold. Google "container chaos". So that's one part of the answer.