All-Rounder Bike Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sigma

by sigma

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:57 pm
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help in choosing a new bike. I'd need it to be flexible to the point where I'm not sure the bike actually exists.

I have a Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3 that in my COVID boredom have substantially upgraded and a 2010 Cervelo S3 in good condition. My issues with both are these:

Cervelo: it's fast but very uncomfortable on the rough local roads. It has a max tire clearance as such that you can only run 23c tires. The SRAM front derailuers of the time are total garbage and I have to hold my breath that I won't drop my chain when shifting from the small to big. And, yes, ive spent plenty of time working on it myself and having mechanics look at it. Just not a great system. Finally, it has carbon clinchers and I popped a tube the other day from having to ride the brakes down a moderately long descent because the roads were so rough and the carbon got so hot that it popped my latex tube.

Cannondale: great bike, but it sits in an unfortunate no mans land. I rode it 45 hilly tarmac miles the other day and it was significantly more difficult than doing the same ride on my Cervelo (rolling resistance and weight). On the other hand it's not quite ready to take on some of the more intense trails and rocky stuff. I tried it off road the other day and it would be fine for moderate gravel and single track but nothing more.

So, I figured I'd trade both bikes in and get a versatile road bike that's more comfortable than my S3, has disc brakes, and can handle some light to moderate gravel with the right tires.

My budget would be around $6,500 USD total.

I have thought about fast bikes with good tire clearance in general:

-Cannondale SuperSix EVO Ultegra with aftermarket Zipp 303S wheels and 30-33c gravel/cross tires for gravel days

-Trek Emonda SL7 eTap with 32c road tires

-BMC Teammachine SLR One with Zipp 303s and whatever the biggest tires I could fit

-Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc with as fat of tires as I can fit and pray the wheels don't break

-Scott Addict RC15 with 30c tires and hope the wheels don't break

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

I realize that this isn't ideal, but my budget is pretty strict right now.

Thanks!!!
If you are not in a hurry, I am personally curious what the new Cervelo Aspero 5 will look like. Maybe a bit more aero, fully integrated, and lighter than the regular? If you are straddling the world of aero to gravel, there are indeed just a handful of choices like the 3T racemax that will work comprehensively. If your gravel is not too technical and you can manage with a 34 tire, then personally I would just get a Cannondale Supersix HM with two sets of wheels: one deep for road racing; one non-deep but as wide as possible (like your Zipp suggestion) for gravel and endurance riding.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kaludrob

by Kaludrob

sigma wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help in choosing a new bike. I'd need it to be flexible to the point where I'm not sure the bike actually exists.

I have a Cannondale Topstone Lefty 3 that in my COVID boredom have substantially upgraded and a 2010 Cervelo S3 in good condition. My issues with both are these:

Cervelo: it's fast but very uncomfortable on the rough local roads. It has a max tire clearance as such that you can only run 23c tires. The SRAM front derailuers of the time are total garbage and I have to hold my breath that I won't drop my chain when shifting from the small to big. And, yes, ive spent plenty of time working on it myself and having mechanics look at it. Just not a great system. Finally, it has carbon clinchers and I popped a tube the other day from having to ride the brakes down a moderately long descent because the roads were so rough and the carbon got so hot that it popped my latex tube.

Cannondale: great bike, but it sits in an unfortunate no mans land. I rode it 45 hilly tarmac miles the other day and it was significantly more difficult than doing the same ride on my Cervelo (rolling resistance and weight). On the other hand it's not quite ready to take on some of the more intense trails and rocky stuff. I tried it off road the other day and it would be fine for moderate gravel and single track but nothing more.

So, I figured I'd trade both bikes in and get a versatile road bike that's more comfortable than my S3, has disc brakes, and can handle some light to moderate gravel with the right tires.

-Cannondale SuperSix EVO Ultegra with aftermarket Zipp 303S wheels and 30-33c gravel/cross tires for gravel days

-BMC Teammachine SLR One with Zipp 303s and whatever the biggest tires I could fit

-Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc with as fat of tires as I can fit and pray the wheels don't break

Thanks!!!
If you are not in a hurry, I am personally curious what the new Cervelo Aspero 5 will look like. Maybe a bit more aero, fully integrated, and lighter than the regular? If you are straddling the world of aero to gravel, there are indeed just a handful of choices like the 3T racemax that will work comprehensively. If your gravel is not too technical and you can manage with a 34 tire, then personally I would just get a Cannondale Supersix HM with two sets of wheels: one deep for road racing; one non-deep but as wide as possible (like your Zipp suggestion) for gravel and endurance riding.
where did you hear about the cervelo aspero 5?
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Wait. Cervelo Aspero 5??

I just bought the Aspero frameset . . .

FrederickVCyclestein

by FrederickVCyclestein

vanmatthew wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Wait. Cervelo Aspero 5??

I assume they were reffering to the Caledonia 5.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Page 15 of the below link = Aspero 5

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... -forks.pdf
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

sigma

by sigma

Kaludrob wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:36 pm
sigma wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!!
where did you hear about the cervelo aspero 5?
Actually the first time I heard about it was via the LBS which is one of the biggest Cervelo dealers in Mountain West in the context of frames getting delayed last year because of COVID etc...I believe they are anticipating a summer / fall release now but I may get better info ain a week or two (I have a very small equity investment in the shop, so we are due for our Q1 discsussion next week).
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

gSporco

by gSporco

Yes Cervelo, will be updating their R and A range in 2021/22. Obviously Covid has delayed this, but what we are all expecting is:

1. New R5, (probably more aero, and integrated and will most likely see Jumbo Visma using it at the TdF)
2. A new Aspero, most likely we will see 2 bikes, 1 integrated and Aero and one exposed and possibly more CX'ish, but these are all guesses as to what exactly will come out

But if what they have done with the S and C series is any indication of the future we will have an R, S A and C range, with 2 bike options for each.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

sigma

by sigma

FrederickVCyclestein wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:00 pm
vanmatthew wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Wait. Cervelo Aspero 5??

I assume they were reffering to the Caledonia 5.
Just released last night by the way - slightly lighter, integrated, and a decent uptick in price for the frameset (though builds not terrible)

TTRV

by TTRV

gSporco wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm
Yes Cervelo, will be updating their R and A range in 2021/22. Obviously Covid has delayed this, but what we are all expecting is:

1. New R5, (probably more aero, and integrated and will most likely see Jumbo Visma using it at the TdF)
We're starting to see the new R5 in the pro peloton. Roglic rode it to 2nd place in la Flèche Wallonne today. Integrated cables... And that's pretty much the only thing I could see from the TV footage and the photos.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

After going to the LBS (which is fantastic), I completely changed course. I put money down on an inexpensive (gulp, $1250) Alloy Topstone 5, before deciding to go for an aero bike. I purchased the System Six Ultegra. Good looking bike, but pretty heavy (~8.5kg). While I was at the shop I was shown a BMC Timemachine 01 Road Three and I really liked it. I sold a couple of things and might be able to swing it by returning the System Six for it (have 30 days).

Should I go for it or should I stick with the Cannondale?

saldegracia

by saldegracia

haha, you are just like a friend of mine who can never make his mind up when it's about bikes...;) From what I see the BMC isn't any lighter than the Cannondale, so if you're happy with the latter I'd just stick with it. Both bikes are heavily integrated disc-brake aero bikes, so they're never going to be superlight. The one thing I am interested in with the BMC is the integrated "storage box", sounds cool but I have never used it, so no idea if it is actually useful...
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

xsnailx

by xsnailx

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm
I'd go for Open up, 3t exploro, Cervelo aspero. Build it with Force axs or Campy Ekar and it should be an ace allround bike.
++ my vote goes for 3t & ekar too :)