Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dov

by Dov

Makes sense. Going to 13x2 seems to be a lot of effort for little gain
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

Very happy to see they ditched the G3 spoke pattern.

Matija

by Matija

Roel W wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am
? :shock: why?
Nicest looking wheelset in my opinion. Unique & recognizable

moock

by moock

Matija wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:04 pm
Roel W wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:14 am
? :shock: why?
Nicest looking wheelset in my opinion. Unique & recognizable
I HOPE that they keep it...... Maybe just different for the single new model.

usr

by usr

It's their second "post G3", after Levante. I never really liked G3 on the front wheel, so if I'm not the only one who feels that way disc might have killed it. Perhaps they might consider a G3 rear/crossed front mix to get an approximation of the G3/radial? There would be an easy technological "excuse", the disc front wheel needs to transfer torque (like all rear wheels), but hub flames are much more symmetric than on the rear.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Dunno if this has been posted. before??

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/campa ... U_bprLXndw

RDY

by RDY

Given that Ekar is their best selling gruppo in ages and there's lots of demand for wireless, it would be no surprise if it appears before road.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I find Campag's (apparent) refusal to consider electronic on anything other than EPS rather odd. They can surely see the huge demand for 105/Ultegra level electronic shifting, and yet seem deliberately to be ignoring that.

The alternative explanation is that something new is indeed coming.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 electronic road groupsets, one splitting the difference between Record and SR, and the other splitting Centaur/Chorus, and keep Chorus (and maybe SR) as the dedicated mechanical option(s), but with a polished silver finish option. Introduce an electronic Ekar option as well. That then looks like a strong but streamlined line-up to me.

tomato

by tomato

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:59 am
I find Campag's (apparent) refusal to consider electronic on anything other than EPS rather odd.
???

usr

by usr

raggedtrousers wrote:
I find Campag's (apparent) refusal to consider electronic on anything other than EPS rather odd. They can surely see the huge demand for 105/Ultegra level electronic shifting, and yet seem deliberately to be ignoring that.
They tried, back in the day when electronic was presented as a super-expensive upgrade option to the mechanical default and not as a style choice that's perhaps a little more expensive. And guess what, very few people were willing to spend roughly SR mechanical money on an EPS Athena.

Today, if you wanted to offer both side by side, you'd have to make electronic the default version (because competitors have itas the only version) and then mechanical shouldn't be much cheaper.

smokva

by smokva

usr wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 am
They tried, back in the day when electronic was presented as a super-expensive upgrade option to the mechanical default and not as a style choice that's perhaps a little more expensive. And guess what, very few people were willing to spend roughly SR mechanical money on an EPS Athena.
This problem is easy to solve, just stop offering mechanical groupset and in the mind of ppl low level electric groups will be more acceptable. That's what Shimano is doing. By removin mechanical Ultegra and Dura-Ace they opened window for lower level electric group.
Noone would buy electric 105 for the price of mechanical Dura-Ace, but if mechanical Dura-Ace isn't there percived categories change.

usr

by usr

But has Di2 Ultegra ever scratched the price of mechanical DA? I honestly don't know, but my impression was that the difference wasn't that big once they stayed rolling out Di2 below DA.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

usr wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 am
raggedtrousers wrote:

Today, if you wanted to offer both side by side, you'd have to make electronic the default version (because competitors have itas the only version) and then mechanical shouldn't be much cheaper.
Well, a couple of things:
1. The market as a whole has very clearly moved on since the days of Athena EPS. There is a much greater demand for electronic than there was; I'd say that's pretty indisputable when you look at the success of Rival AXS.

2. Pricing is a somewhat separate argument. Campag appear to be able to offer Ekar and Chorus for semi-sensible money, so if electronic versions of those were 10-20% more than their Shimano equivalents (GRX Di2, UDi2), I wouldn't see that as a deal breaker for many.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Scrolling through instagram yesterday, almost every gravel bike from Enve to Mosaic was built with Ekar. It seems logical that electronic Ekar comes ASAP. My wife has Ekar and I rode it, and it is a fantastic group.

I also think that wireless Ekar could be the lightest groupset which would be a big selling point as well. Mech Ekar is extremely light.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

RDY

by RDY

rollinslow wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:44 pm
Scrolling through instagram yesterday, almost every gravel bike from Enve to Mosaic was built with Ekar. It seems logical that electronic Ekar comes ASAP. My wife has Ekar and I rode it, and it is a fantastic group.

I also think that wireless Ekar could be the lightest groupset which would be a big selling point as well. Mech Ekar is extremely light.
Highly doubt it'll be as light as Red 1x with similar sized ring and cassette. I think for the OEM market, Ekar wireless has to come in below Red AXS 1X pricing. And I don't think they do that by making cranks, calipers, brifters and cassette superlight. I'd guess cranks, cassette, calipers will all be identical to mech Ekar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com