Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Between fulcrum and campy offerings...spolied for choice on wheels...except maybe sub 1300g sets..

Wrt groupsets...no changes...the carbon is beautiful...

Introduce longer shifter cable housings in the maintenance packs and initial set up kits for internally routed cables

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Definitely silver polished groupset and lighten up Record and SR.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Yes silver group. The whole black carbon groups on black frames is just boring. I love my silver group bikes.

AJS914

by AJS914

But doesn't your printer also have a usb port?

Wireless also has the cleanest uncomplicated look - no junction boxes and no extra wires to interfere with the brake cables routed through a stem. If I ever get a fully integrated frame, I'm going to get wireless shifting.

Lozaen

by Lozaen

silver unfortunately doesn't work so well with carbon :(
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

Lozaen

by Lozaen

AJS914 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Wireless also has the cleanest uncomplicated look - no junction boxes and no extra wires to interfere with the brake cables routed through a stem. If I ever get a fully integrated frame, I'm going to get wireless shifting.
In my opinion wireless doesn't look any better the DI2 or EPS. The batteries are bulky and ugly.
If you build your bikes yourself, than wireless is definitely easier to handle, but on the other side....how often do you have to deal with the cables? One installs them once and then forgets about them for the rest of the bike's life.
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

neeb

by neeb

Lozaen wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:55 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm

In my opinion wireless doesn't look any better the DI2 or EPS. The batteries are bulky and ugly.
If you build your bikes yourself, than wireless is definitely easier to handle, but on the other side....how often do you have to deal with the cables? One installs them once and then forgets about them for the rest of the bike's life.
Yup, aesthetically it's much of a muchness, some very short lengths of thin wire vs. bulkier mechs - and if everything is fully internal then the wired setup actually looks cleaner!

I'll admit that one time I'd have killed for wireless was when I was installing 11sp EPS on a frame that already had the BB and plastic BB EPS guard fitted.. Getting the wires past the BB was soul-destroyingly Sisyphean.. It took the best part of a day and some considerable ingenuity..

usr

by usr

One more tiny thing that should be on my armchair direttore list: if another batch of those DM rim brakes gets made, switch those adjuster screws from bulky blade/philips heads to headless hex. Don't bother waiting for a new model generation (chances are there won't be one for rim), just do it now.

Forget that it's supermarginally lighter (a decigram or two all four together perhaps?), or that it's more aerodynamic. You might even ignore that it's a significant optical improvement: it's simply a big joy slotting in the tiny hex and seeing the pad move when you turn. With a screwdriver, a considerable amount of attention would go to the driver/screw interface, to applying pressure, to preventing a slip, scared of scratching. You might completely miss the direct effect of the pad moving and just go through the usual blind tighten/loosen/try cycle. But the visibly tight cause/effect of the DM adjusters is quite exceptional in bike maintenance and distracting the person doing the adjusting with an unwieldy mushroom screw spoils that quite a bit.

cveks

by cveks

upacs wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am
Lina wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:13 am
Honest question, why would you ever need or want 2x13? Adding more gears doesn't make everything better.
Funny word, "need". It doesn't have to make everything better, it only has to make one small thing better. And strickly speaking, you probably don't "need" gears at all... heck, you don't "need" a bike either.

Personally, I wouldn't mind 2x13 if it was available. Why? I currently run 11sp 11-29 with a 34-50 compact crankset. The 50/11 can sometimes not be enough on a good descent (granted, not very often), the 34/29 is very very often not low enough for the crazy climbs here, and there is at least one jump in the casette that I find a bit annoying (wasn't so problematic on the 12-29 I had before, but 50/12 was definitely not high enough).

So I will take an 11-32 casette with 13 cogs. Will solve the most important issues I have. As for the 50/11 not being high enough... well, guess I can live with that, doesn't bother me sooooo much. Or do as a buddy did, and change rings to 34-52. He swears it works just fine, but I've never tried it.

It all depends on the terrain you ride. I live in Switzerland... take one turn and you'll find yourself going up a 2000m vertical alpine climb with 25% ramps, then come down the other side doing 90kph on tyres thinner than my thumb and a bike that weighs less than a dog's turd. Isn't it fun :D

Bring on 2x13 I say!
I have FSA Kforce Light crankset with 53/36 chainrings, paired with Campagnolo Potenza groupset. Long cage Potenza RD runs great Shimano 11-34 cassette.

With this setup I have biggest possible range covered.

36/34 is lower than 34/32 and 53/11 is much stronger for descents than 50/11

mag

by mag

usr wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:29 pm
One more tiny thing that should be on my armchair direttore list: if another batch of those DM rim brakes gets made, switch those adjuster screws from bulky blade/philips heads to headless hex. Don't bother waiting for a new model generation (chances are there won't be one for rim), just do it now.

Forget that it's supermarginally lighter (a decigram or two all four together perhaps?), or that it's more aerodynamic. You might even ignore that it's a significant optical improvement: it's simply a big joy slotting in the tiny hex and seeing the pad move when you turn. With a screwdriver, a considerable amount of attention would go to the driver/screw interface, to applying pressure, to preventing a slip, scared of scratching. You might completely miss the direct effect of the pad moving and just go through the usual blind tighten/loosen/try cycle. But the visibly tight cause/effect of the DM adjusters is quite exceptional in bike maintenance and distracting the person doing the adjusting with an unwieldy mushroom screw spoils that quite a bit.
I very much agree. Those screws look like some crazy revenge of some Campagnolo designer on all their users. :)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

neeb wrote:I'dfull range of cassette options all the way from 12-25, 11-25 to 11-32 (no need for bigger cogs than that).
- keep supporting rim brakes; maybe introduce a new lighter caliper that isn't skeleton. Maybe aero styled with a deliberate nod to delta, except properly functional of course!
- Make a tubular WTO wheelset that's really lightweight and wider than current Bora Ultra tubular. Rim as well as disc options, of course.

Not bothered about updating EPS, it's fine as it is. I don't see any advantages to wireless, just more potential hassles from things not connecting / having to charge more often / multiple charging.
Double post. Oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ultimobici on Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

neeb wrote:Produce a full range of cassette options all the way from 12-25, 11-25 to 11-32 (no need for bigger cogs than that).
Unfortunately that ain’t even possible.

For all the moaning about inbuilt obsolescence, they are the least guilty of Shimano, Sram & Campagnolo. They’ve only just stopped producing Record 8 cassettes! 11 speed parts are still readily available with all the ratios you desire. No one is forced to buy & use 12 speed.

neeb

by neeb

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:10 am
neeb wrote:Produce a full range of cassette options all the way from 12-25, 11-25 to 11-32 (no need for bigger cogs than that).

For all the moaning about inbuilt obsolescence, they are the least guilty of Shimano, Sram & Campagnolo. They’ve only just stopped producing Record 8 cassettes! 11 speed parts are still readily available with all the ratios you desire. No one is forced to buy & use 12 speed.

What do you mean it isn't possible? That's exactly what I've got with 11sp with the long cage rear mech option, so of course it's possible in my fantasy next generation campy road groupset.

Yup, 11sp stuff still available but for how long will it all be available? I don't want to be scrabbling around on eBay for used stuff the next time I'm doing a build on a brand new frame..

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

neeb wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:10 am

What do you mean it isn't possible? That's exactly what I've got with 11sp with the long cage rear mech option, so of course it's possible in my fantasy next generation campy road groupset.

Yup, 11sp stuff still available but for how long will it all be available? I don't want to be scrabbling around on eBay for used stuff the next time I'm doing a build on a brand new frame..
Was referring to 12 speed. My bad.

Campag are still producing 11 speed cassettes so I wouldn’t worry about availability unless you simply must have Ti sprockets!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Why is this not possible? I have never read that you can't have a gear smaller than 29t but I've always suspected that was the case. 12sp cassettes.

No one is forced to buy most everything but I suspect if Campagnolo did offer some better choices of cassettes for the flatlanders, they may be able to sell more. Of course, if they are selling everything they got, there is no reason to make more options. I get that.