Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickB

by NickB

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am
NickB wrote:As I will never be too lazy to route cables I'm looking forward to some discounted Chorus stock shedding in the months to come. Maybe..
It’s not a case of being too lazy. More and more frames are electronic only so mechanical isn’t an option. Plus routing Di2 is no easier than mechanical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you have just described why my bike is a Steel 853 one. The humble bicycle going the same way as modern cars is very unappealing to me. Owned a couple of carbon moderns, no strava gains for old me so went bck to the simplicity and comfort. Each to their own of course.

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

NickB wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:45 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am
NickB wrote:As I will never be too lazy to route cables I'm looking forward to some discounted Chorus stock shedding in the months to come. Maybe..
It’s not a case of being too lazy. More and more frames are electronic only so mechanical isn’t an option. Plus routing Di2 is no easier than mechanical.

I think you have just described why my bike is a Steel 853 one. The humble bicycle going the same way as modern cars is very unappealing to me. Owned a couple of carbon moderns, no strava gains for old me so went bck to the simplicity and comfort. Each to their own of course.
This site needs a like button.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

NickB wrote:I think you have just described why my bike is a Steel 853 one. The humble bicycle going the same way as modern cars is very unappealing to me. Owned a couple of carbon moderns, no strava gains for old me so went bck to the simplicity and comfort. Each to their own of course.
LOL!

To be fair, material is only one part of the equation. The builder and their choice of tubes together with their way of constructing the frame has as big an effect on the ride.

But, as you say, each to their own. There is no right choice despite what the carbon zealots & steel zealots say!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Martin.dk wrote:
Vespasianus wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:31 pm
robertbb wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:56 am
Vespasianus wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 4:22 pm
You are going to be dissapointed.
In this case, Shimano will be happy - since I'll likely end up with little choice but to switch.
I can't see Campag brining forth multiple level wireless groupsets at this point and time. Maybe at a later date but not now. I could see wireless EKAR before anything else.
I can't either, but with the absolute lack of spy photos and only very limited info, we really can't know for sure.

Either way I'm looking forward to Tuesday Image
I think you may be right. However, from what I have heard, Campag seem to have made it compatible with current 12 speed.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

It makes perfect sense that the initial release is disc since they will probably only go to complete new builds. I can't see why they wouldn't offer a rim version since it only entails making a set of levers.

GaBa

by GaBa

That would make my heart sing, I have very little to zero hope that rim brake version will materialise though.

RDY

by RDY

joeyb1000 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:42 pm
It makes perfect sense that the initial release is disc since they will probably only go to complete new builds. I can't see why they wouldn't offer a rim version since it only entails making a set of levers.
The lever is the only thing that would remain largely unchanged. The whole packaging and internals of the shifter body would have to change. It's why Shimano and SRAM are discontinuing them - virtually no sales to justify a cost for tooling and development similar to the disc version.

GaBa

by GaBa

RDY wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:08 pm
joeyb1000 wrote:
The lever is the only thing that would remain largely unchanged. The whole packaging and internals of the shifter body would have to change. It's why Shimano and SRAM are discontinuing them - virtually no sales to justify a cost for tooling and development similar to the disc version.
Shimano is discontinuing rim brake? Haven't they just release new Di2 12s in rim brake options as well? And in both DA and Ultegra levels. Are there already rumors that sales are bad and line will be discontinued?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
joeyb1000 wrote:
Shimano have not discontinued rim brake at all. Both Dura Ace and Ultegra are offered in rim brake.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

ultimobici wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:31 pm
Shimano have not discontinued rim brake at all. Both Dura Ace and Ultegra are offered in rim brake.
...and both of them are essentially rebadged 11s shifters+ callipers.
Perhaps Campy could offer a similar thing - previous generation EPS shifters connected via cables to an updated control unit that would communicate wirelessly with new WRL derailleurs. On the other hand - not sure if such group will sell in enough quantities to justify the R&D cost.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gorkypl wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:31 pm
...and both of them are essentially rebadged 11s shifters+ callipers.
Perhaps Campy could offer a similar thing - previous generation EPS shifters connected via cables to an updated control unit that would communicate wirelessly with new WRL derailleurs.
Sram still offer Etap in rim as well. Not just a rebadged Gen 1 lever either.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

cool, cool

IMG_5597.jpeg

gorkypl

by gorkypl

C-link 12S chain!

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Miller

by Miller

I wonder, assuming Campag retain the intention to supply professional road racing, if teams will have objected to 13sp on the grounds that it will make neutral service difficult in an otherwise 12sp world.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Miller wrote:I wonder, assuming Campag retain the intention to supply professional road racing, if teams will have objected to 13sp on the grounds that it will make neutral service difficult in an otherwise 12sp world.
More likely 13 speed is unnecessary with normal 2x set up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com