Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rollinslow

by rollinslow

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:22 pm
spartan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:18 pm
when is the official release date?
A friend of mine (shop owner) was looking at getting EPS 12 for his new ride.. after talking to one of his distributors, the distributor more or less said wait til March..
Dunno how true any of that is.. theyve kept the lid pretty tight on this one...
Based on the patents that were linked above, it looks like this could be a pretty radical design. Hopefully it is full wireless which would be a big selling point over Shimano.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

morrisond

by morrisond

rollinslow wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:10 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
spartan wrote:
A friend of mine (shop owner) was looking at getting EPS 12 for his new ride.. after talking to one of his distributors, the distributor more or less said wait til March..
Based on the patents that were linked above, it looks like this could be a pretty radical design. Hopefully it is full wireless which would be a big selling point over Shimano.
You will be happy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

morrisond wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:23 am
rollinslow wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:10 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
spartan wrote:
You will be happy.
Is it going to mandate the use of N3W freehub?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

JensNL

by JensNL

and... is the crankset Ultra Torque with Pro Tech like EKAR?

jlok

by jlok

If light weight is the target, I hope it would beat the SRAM XG 10-26.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gorkypl

by gorkypl

jlok wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 am
Is it going to mandate the use of N3W freehub?
You need N3W for any cassette starting with 9 or 10.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

jlok wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:34 am
If light weight is the target, I hope it would beat the SRAM XG 10-26.
Not necessary. Just as Shimano has always been lighter than Sram with a heavier cassette.

jlok

by jlok

But why not lighter than competition in every component especially when the update seems to be targeting light weight? Or is this update just playing catch up with wireless solution?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I doubt that they're just playing catch up, but they still might not prioritize a lighter cassette as you would prefer.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

While Campag aren't/won't be looking to compete with Rival AXS and 105 Di2, the success of those groupsets (and the fact that no one really seems to care that UDi2 is chomk these days) shows that weight is almost a non-issue for groupset manufacturers these days. It needs to be 12 speed, electronic, and wireless.

Not saying I agree, btw, just saying it as I see it.

I had really, really hoped that Campag would bring EPS down to Chorus level, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that's not going to happen. I think it's the one (hypothetical) groupset I'd have pre-ordered.

Aress

by Aress

Dont know who is the marketing guy at Campagnolo but if they didnt determine that there was a market for mid tier electronic groupset. They either dont ride bikes or lack common sense.

Chorus electronic would sell like hot cakes

***edited by moderator for inappropriate language ***

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Aress wrote:Dont know who is the marketing guy at Campagnolo but if they didnt determine that there was a market for mid tier electronic groupset. They either dont ride bikes or lack common sense.

***edited by moderator for inappropriate language ***
This times a million. This could be said about a lot of companies marketing department as well. I would t be surprised if most of them just make products for whatever pros they sponsor and then just sell those same products to the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

Aress wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:51 pm
I'm sure the Campag people do plenty of riding but let's not forget they've done Chorus electronic already. They got a bit burned by Chorus/Athena EPS 11v, it was not a big success. I can tell you that technically it was a lovely group (there was hardly any difference between the chorus and athena EPS) but I think it was just too expensive on introduction and never recovered from that. Well, that was a decade ago, when electronic groups didn't have the ubiquity they do now, so maybe it's time for them to try an electronic group again but price will remain an issue.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

The problem then was the mechatronic platform the mid tiers were built upon was very expensive. The EPS actuator is a gem with its resolver, working at a higher voltage (lower amp for same torque out of the motor), reduction system…

They need a cheap servo if they want to compete with Rival/Ultegra

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

Miller wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:16 pm
Aress wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:51 pm
I'm sure the Campag people do plenty of riding but let's not forget they've done Chorus electronic already. They got a bit burned by Chorus/Athena EPS 11v, it was not a big success. I can tell you that technically it was a lovely group (there was hardly any difference between the chorus and athena EPS) but I think it was just too expensive on introduction and never recovered from that. Well, that was a decade ago, when electronic groups didn't have the ubiquity they do now, so maybe it's time for them to try an electronic group again but price will remain an issue.
We've been over this multiple times, the Chorus/Athena EPS were ahead of their time and expensive. Mechanical was still very much a thing back then. It's like trying to sell disc brake road bikes in 2013, seeing that there isn't much of a market and using that as a reasoning to not build disc frame/groupset in 2023. You have to be blind to not see that they NEED electronic medium range groupset to compete with Rival and 105. And that there would be market for one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com