Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

raggedtrousers wrote:Perhaps slightly OT, but to the posters in here: if you woke up tomorrow and suddenly found yourself in Vicenza running Campag, what would your next steps be?
1 - Set up a visitor centre & shop at factory
2 - Start process to introduce mid to high end polished groupset
3 - Reintroduce polished silver Record hubs in 28 & 32 drilling’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

XCProMD wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Did you know that inhabitants form Vicenza are jokingly known as “cat eaters” by the rest of Italy?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
I eat a cat everyday at breakfast.
Un gatto al giorno toglie il medico di torno.

scapie

by scapie

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm
Perhaps slightly OT, but to the posters in here: if you woke up tomorrow and suddenly found yourself in Vicenza running Campag, what would your next steps be?
i would get all the employees to down tools immediately and search through ever storage room and box to find a brand new set of the old school record red groupset.

micky

by micky

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 am
raggedtrousers wrote:Perhaps slightly OT, but to the posters in here: if you woke up tomorrow and suddenly found yourself in Vicenza running Campag, what would your next steps be?
1 - Set up a visitor centre & shop at factory
2 - Start process to introduce mid to high end polished groupset
3 - Reintroduce polished silver Record hubs in 28 & 32 drilling’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1. it would need to be in a slightly different position because the factory is not exactly in the most brilliant area of Vicenza.
2. i wouldnt go high end, but between middle/high end groupset probably yes. There's still people looking for the polished groupset which were for sale few years back.
3. Silver hubs, yes
4. Reintroduce each year some old catalogue parts from high end models. Some sort of anniversary productions.

scapie

by scapie

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:06 pm
Perhaps slightly OT, but to the posters in here: if you woke up tomorrow and suddenly found yourself in Vicenza running Campag, what would your next steps be?
jokes aside, this is an interesting topic and i'd like to hear what some of the other members on the forum would do. maybe not so much from an actual profitable business side, but more of a romantacised side. things that you would like but stuff that the general cycling public probably wouldn't.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

scapie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:54 am
maybe not so much from an actual profitable business side, but more of a romantacised side. things that you would like but stuff that the general cycling public probably wouldn't.
I would do something for the highend retromodern niche. Imagine a 12s SR full aloy hypergloss, matching wheels. Maybe a matching post stem and bar, all done to a high level and with tastefully done engraving. Until a while ago you could do this yourself starting with an Athena group and a buffing wheel, add in some zeta classic wheels. But it would be cool to have smth official, maybe also branded as 90th anni.

Dov

by Dov

The finsihing kit is an interesting one actually.

If you try and buy a full set of 'matchers' these days you've got limited options. Something nicely done in black with minimal logos would go down a treat.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I would, all notions of making an actual profit aside:
1. Reintroduce a polished finish option, probably at Record or Chorus level;
2. Make an ultra WW option;
3. Enter the frameset market (like Enve)

With a somewhat practical head on, I'd focus on offering something a little bit distinctive in the upper-middle market: maybe a 14 speed 1x for road, ideally electronic. An electronic 13sp Ekar would sell. I'd move all production bar Record to Asia and work my ass off to get groupsets as stock on a few major OEM offerings. Keep Record/SR as the premium, made in Italy options.

Sin2000

by Sin2000

OEM was in my head too. I was thinking resurrect Mirage / Xenon. Made in Asia for OEM market with Campag designed Centaur type levers and 11 speed. Available to retail for about £300-400 for a full gruppo.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Develop a SR branded (as they have maxed out at Bora Ultra WTO now) all-round, full-carbon wheelset (rim / hub / spoke) tha is entirely of their own design and made in-house with CULT bearings, then price it possibly between Corima MCC and LW Meilenstein.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Actually, I have to say I like the current lineup a lot and I don't miss anything.

Well-designed, perfectly working mechanical groupsets for road and gravel, awesome carbon wheels on all levels (Shamals DBs, Bora WTOs, Bora Ultra WTOs).
I understand there may be people wanting to see updated EPS groups, but as a person who tried electric shifting and went back to mechanical, I don't have much interest in this.

Maybe some aluminium gravel wheels will be nice to have for some applications, but (again, personal POV) as gravel bike serves me in remote places often, I'd rather have something more typical (like DT Swiss), that can be repaired in every bike shop all over the world, without the need to source every single spoke from Vincenza.
I will happily put oval 38 rings on an Ekar crank (not sure if current one allows it) - but apparently updated crank is in the making already, so this will probably be addressed soon too.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

corky

by corky

Now the patent has expired on spd-r , make a Campagnolo pedal compatible with these cleets, never liked putting Shimano pedals on a Campagnolo bike.......would never happen, but I think they'd sell quite a few sets.

neeb

by neeb

I'd design the next SR / Record / Chorus iteration as a full-on road groupset clearly focused on performance on tarmac (now that Ekar exists for gravel, endurance or whatever).

- Get the weight down again, the current 12sp is ridiculously porky.
- Produce a full range of cassette options all the way from 12-25, 11-25 to 11-32 (no need for bigger cogs than that).
- keep supporting rim brakes; maybe introduce a new lighter caliper that isn't skeleton. Maybe aero styled with a deliberate nod to delta, except properly functional of course!
- Make a tubular WTO wheelset that's really lightweight and wider than current Bora Ultra tubular. Rim as well as disc options, of course.

Not bothered about updating EPS, it's fine as it is. I don't see any advantages to wireless, just more potential hassles from things not connecting / having to charge more often / multiple charging.

usr

by usr

neeb wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:03 pm
I don't see any advantages to wireless, just more potential hassles from things not connecting / having to charge more often / multiple charging.
Wireless will just happen, whether we like it or not. Five years from now frames that support anything but a single hydro brake hose will be as exotic as frames with downtube shifter bosses today. At least that's the situation I'd get ready for as armchair direttore, if it doesn't, no harm done, the competition has made the same bet.

neeb

by neeb

I see wireless as a classic example of overcomplication to the detriment of function.

My laser printer at home is wireless. That would be an advantage if I was connecting to it from multiple devices, but in fact it just sits beside my PC box (the only device I ever print from) and could just as easily be connected by a wire. But because it is wireless, it takes 20 seconds to connect every time I switch it on, and occasionally it just doesn't connect (usually when there's something I need to print urgently).

Electronic derailleurs are always on the same position on the bike relative to their controllers and they are only ever controlled by those controllers. The wires can be routed entirely internally or almost so, and once set up are an invisible non-issue.

The advantage of wireless of course is in initial setup and bike building/manufacture. Just like hookless rims, threadless BBs and all the rest, it's something that saves money in bike manufacture / production / sales rather than offering much to the user, although it can be marketed as the latter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com