Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cerro

by cerro

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:09 pm
I was looking at a Tarmac SL7 for my next frame and even though it will accomodate mechanical shifting, I'm not confident in getting Campagnolo to work perfectly though all the twists and turns of the stem. I struggled with cable drag on 11 speed routing through some 3T handlbars. I finally just taped the cables under the bars old school and got my drivetrain to shift perfectly.
Look at Cannondale SuperSIX Evo Gen4 then, looks awesome with Campagnolo Record :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

morrisond wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:09 pm
I have a brand new Record 12 Hydro Group sitting in boxes so I'm trying to decide what to do.
I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it multiple times already, but I have built a new bike with Di2, only to realize I hate electric shifting. This is when I went into mechanical Campagnolo, which I absolutely admire. I plan to use mechanical until parts are available and have already bought a spare Chorus 12 group just in case.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:41 pm
neeb wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:45 pm
I honestly don't get why everyone wants wireless. The only advantage is ease of installation. Cables are hidden when installed, and I've never used any sort of wireless anything that doesn't at least occasionally have connection problems or delays.

And yet everyone has gone wireless, at least between the shifters and derailleurs.

One eTap/AXS, I’ve literally never had an issue with interference, but I have repeatedly been around Di2 connector issues at the local very bumpy road races. If you ask any AXS owner, I’d bet none will say they’ve had interference issues.
My wifes bike has etap 11 and my backup bike has it as well as my new main bike with AXS and no issues with wireless frequencies. They have only been paired one time only and I replaced a RD on the backup bike with a single pairing on it once only. When I first got my etap I put the RD on the ground and walked away with the shifter to see what kind of range it had. I was about 3 meters away and it was shifting like I was standing right beside it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Seems liek Campy positioned itself well here. Groups were already 12speed, they already had a hub solution going back to 9 speed, and they can keep making SR12 mech, hydro mech, and wireless now. I need wireless to make my travel easier for an electronic bike. Been putting some $$$ aside waiting for this and planned on around 5-6k USD.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

morrisond

by morrisond

gorkypl wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:50 pm
morrisond wrote:
I have a brand new Record 12 Hydro Group sitting in boxes so I'm trying to decide what to do.
I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it multiple times already, but I have built a new bike with Di2, only to realize I hate electric shifting. This is when I went into mechanical Campagnolo, which I absolutely admire. I plan to use mechanical until parts are available and have already bought a spare Chorus 12 group just in case.
I've been down the Di2 road 2x and EPS 1x. Always to return to Mech. Currently I have an EKAR Bike and SR 11 (It's lighter). However this winter I put Rival AXS 1X Mullet on my travel/winter/gravel bike. It works really well.

Quite frankly I'm just kind of done setting up another mech bike. AXS 1x was so simple it's not even funny - about as easy as installing a Saddle.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

morrisond wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:17 pm
gorkypl wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:50 pm
morrisond wrote:
I've been down the Di2 road 2x and EPS 1x. Always to return to Mech. Currently I have an EKAR Bike and SR 11 (It's lighter). However this winter I put Rival AXS 1X Mullet on my travel/winter/gravel bike. It works really well.

Quite frankly I'm just kind of done setting up another mech bike. AXS 1x was so simple it's not even funny - about as easy as installing a Saddle.
I've been tempted to run a 1x Mullet but just can't look past bailing on a Campy for it. Ekar electronic wouls fit that bill if it ever came to fruition.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

FatsoHorny

by FatsoHorny

This new Super Record seems the opposite of what I was waiting for.
Instead of "Ekar EPS slimmed for road", we're getting new shifters (why?), smaller gears (less efficient), wireless (pricier and dicier) and still 12-speed.
So I'll probably get Ultegra like everyone else, and try not to notice how soullessly ugly it is, as it shifts twice as fast and costs 1/3 as much.
Campy, I loved you, but we're just growing different ways.

Yoln

by Yoln

I'm with you. I was really looking forward to a lighter better and perhaps electronic roadish version of Ekar. Or at least an EPS 13 with both 1x and 2x options. This is just a lot of unnecessary features for a hefty price tag. I'll pass as well.
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Was hoping for 13s with 11-36 cassette I could use with 52/36 chainrings.

Would rather go for AXS than this, more range and yes much cheaper. Less cool? Maybe.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

FatsoHorny wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:12 am
This new Super Record seems the opposite of what I was waiting for.
Instead of "Ekar EPS slimmed for road", we're getting new shifters (why?), smaller gears (less efficient), wireless (pricier and dicier) and still 12-speed.
So I'll probably get Ultegra like everyone else, and try not to notice how soullessly ugly it is, as it shifts twice as fast and costs 1/3 as much.
Campy, I loved you, but we're just growing different ways.
Again, EKAR is a single gear cable and for the most part, rear shifting is the exact same with mechanical or electronic. Front shifting is where electronic is much nicer. Don't understant the demand for a electronic 1x system.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

Miller

by Miller

As a newish user of Ekar I think it's about the best mechanical shifting I've ever used. I'd agree that in practical terms, electronic Ekar would bring little to the party. However it's clear that "it's electronic!" has shop-floor appeal.

neeb

by neeb

Despite being a rim brake, narrowish-tyre curmudgeon, I must admit I do like electric gears (why "electronic"?), and can't understand why anyone who has used both would prefer mechanical.

Shifting is always going to be a greater-force, longer-throw action with mechanical. Also, I've never had to ride home with only 52/11 and 36/11 gears because my EPS had died, but I've had to do it several times due to a rear mech cable snapping (either in the lever or at the BB).

Is the greater physical interaction the attraction?

flying

by flying

neeb wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm
Shifting is always going to be a greater-force, longer-throw action with mechanical. Also, I've never had to ride home with only 52/11 and 36/11 gears because my EPS had died, but I've had to do it several times due to a rear mech cable snapping (either in the lever or at the BB).

I don't think greater physical is relevant but simple as in KISS is :thumbup:

I mean the bicycle is/was an amazing piece of transportation in its simple almost foolproof configuration
So lets add electronic micro switches, servo's, batteries, wires, remote switches & for what?
To simplify an utterly simple process of shifting?

About greater physical interaction....I mean after all we are supposedly exercising :noidea:
We could ride a couch & get even less physical than electronic but in any case..

About the snapping several? rear mech cables I am really amazed
in 35+ years of riding I have snapped zero rear derailleur cables...zero brakes cables ...& just one front derailleur cable...
which was totally my own fault as I had frayed it when doing a tension adjust & never replaced it

m4k1

by m4k1

This

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

flying wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:57 am
neeb wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:16 pm

I mean the bicycle is/was an amazing piece of transportation in its simple almost foolproof configuration
So lets add electronic micro switches, servo's, batteries, wires, remote switches & for what?
To simplify an utterly simple process of shifting?
In which case, let's go back to friction levers on the down tube! The benefit I get is changing gears despite arthritis in my hands & wrists.
About the snapping several? rear mech cables I am really amazed
in 35+ years of riding I have snapped zero rear derailleur cables...zero brakes cables ...& just one front derailleur cable...
which was totally my own fault as I had frayed it when doing a tension adjust & never replaced it
In a similar timeframe I have had a similar experience. However, with EPS & Di2 I have had zero issues with battery failures, misaligned indexing or anything else. The only problem I have had was entirely due to me deciding to continue riding after straightening a bent mech hanger. That would have been expensive on mechanical but was almost triple the cost because I was on Di2. Lesson learned!