Rumors Next Generation Campagnolo Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

It is possible to go smaller than 29 with aftermarket cassettes, but the 3D movement of the 12 speed rear-mech is not designed for this, and there may be additional noise.

tomato

by tomato

Butcher wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 pm
No one is forced to buy most everything but I suspect if Campagnolo did offer some better choices of cassettes for the flatlanders, they may be able to sell more.
It's not just "flatlanders" that want more cassette choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapie

by scapie

Some good stuff here. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Heres a couple of mine..

I’d focus solely on the road racing market. I would offer only 2 groupsets, one for training and one for racing – Chorus and Record.

I would scrap disc brakes, electronic shifting and tubular wheels. And focus solely on producing a zero compromise race specific parts that are, extremely light weight, durable, serviceable and most importantly stylish and in keeping with campagnolo heritage.

I would make the groupsets 11 speed only.

I would redesign the styling and ergonomics based off the old 10 speed shape. The levers would be small but have slightly modernised and rounded hood shape and rubbers. The lever blades would be a bit more curved but not as much as the current gen styling. I’d modify the paddle shifter similar to eps but not quite to that extreme.

I would make the crankset 5 arm again and a sleak styled full carbon version with no hole on the driveside, and chainrings bolting from the back.

The 10sp derailleurs were really small, I would replicate this but make them all full carbon. The same with the brake calipers. Full carbon.

I would invest in making parts more modular and easy to swap out quickly, derailleur cage, jockey wheels, cassette pieces.

I would cull the amount of wheels bring back the hyperon and develop a G3 styled bora that is full carbon including spokes and hubs.

that would be just a few changes to get the ball rolling

usr

by usr

You can "design for racing" all you want, if it's mechanical it won't be raced on, at least not on any level beyond dentist. I'm not happy about that either, but that is the reality us armchair direttores dream in. Saving aerodynamic milliwatts has taken the place of saving grams and bowden wires just can't compete with the routing options of electric wires or wireless.

In hindsight, the only thing that could have saved mechanical would have been an UCI ban on nonpropulsive motors (seriously, why didn't they???) ten years ago.

(Now I'm fantasizing about about digging into old UCI rules about bikes not being motorized and finding some dusty wording that clearly does not restrict the use of motors to propulsive applications and that technically has never been revoked ;))

Lina

by Lina

usr wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 am
You can "design for racing" all you want, if it's mechanical it won't be raced on, at least not on any level beyond dentist. I'm not happy about that either, but that is the reality us armchair direttores dream in. Saving aerodynamic milliwatts has taken the place of saving grams and bowden wires just can't compete with the routing options of electric wires or wireless.

In hindsight, the only thing that could have saved mechanical would have been an UCI ban on nonpropulsive motors (seriously, why didn't they???) ten years ago.

(Now I'm fantasizing about about digging into old UCI rules about bikes not being motorized and finding some dusty wording that clearly does not restrict the use of motors to propulsive applications and that technically has never been revoked ;))
Mechanical is still raced, just not by pros.

And if UCI had banned electronic shifting people would be complaining that the UCI is dragging it's heels once again.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I get that some do not want electronics and it appears that some still like the 10sp stuff but you might as well sell the company before you go under because you will.

I get that there are rules and it's obvious that UCI is the main player of these rules. It would be nice to see what would happen if there were none. It would be a shear waste of money because you would not sell much. What would happen if they removed the weight limit, the diamond frame, etc? It surely would change the way a bike would look and I bet the weights would plummet.

I for one like to see what technology brings. Electronic shifting, wireless, 12sp, aero, weight, etc. Bring it all on. Let's see what this generation can bring. Sadly, companies are locked into rules and profits.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I agree & look forward to the next gen. I am however bummed that the global production realities are going/are having an impact on development as the balance of meeting built up orders/needs etc. pumps the brakes on projects that were ongoing already for that next gen. Perhaps in that time however the UCI will make an adjustment that might open the floodgates further like the developments triathletes have enjoyed this last frame go around.
Just ride ..

neeb

by neeb

Butcher wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:47 pm
I for one like to see what technology brings. Electronic shifting, wireless, 12sp, aero, weight, etc. Bring it all on. Let's see what this generation can bring. Sadly, companies are locked into rules and profits.
Me too - as long as it is appropriately applied.

I'm all for electronic shiting, carbon, as many speeds as practically possible, internal 2 speed rear hubs to dispense with front mechs, aero where it doesn't come with any compromises, and of course continually reducing weight.

I'm not, however, for disc brakes on performance road bikes, wider tyres and rims than is optimal on half-decent tarmac (i.e. about 25mm and 26-27 mm as measured), increased weight and functional compromises for the sake of gimmicks such as mechanical suspension or clutch derailleurs, etc.. I'm probably not for tubeless on road bikes either, although I'm suspending judgement on that as I haven't tried it yet.

Bascially, if it was done first on MTBs it's probably bad (otherwise it would have been done on road bikes first..). :wink:

usr

by usr

Butcher wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:47 pm
Bring it all on.
The HPV scene already exists. As much as I disagree with the UCI in every detail I can think of (we just don't notice the parts that we don't disagree with), in the grand scheme of things they are doing a good job keeping their flavor of cycling a sport where an athlete weilds a sophisticated tool, but isn't sidelined buy the tool into just serving as a biological power source or steering algorithm in a competition amongst vehicle manufacturers. They could also fail in the opposite direction (and there were times in the history of cycling where it was close), which is best illustrated by olympic windsurfing that was basically a joke for multiple decades because the rules were so behind. The general demise of windsurfing illustrates another risk, if the tools wielded by the elite get too far away from what casual hobbyists can use, the entire sports enters freefall. High level cycling connects best with the audience when the bikes are still recognizable as a higher performance version of what regular people have rusting in their backyard.

fogman

by fogman

Campagnolo has made changes to their road disc calipers. More streamlined, similar design to the Ekar gravel calipers with different graphics.

1st generation road calipers:

2nd generation road calipers:

Ekar gravel calipers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

RDY

by RDY

fogman wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm
Campagnolo has made changes to their road disc calipers. More streamlined, similar design to the Ekar gravel calipers with different graphics.

1st generation road calipers:

2nd generation road calipers:

Ekar gravel calipers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 1st / 2nd gen road caliper changes are either primarily or entirely the housing, and they were designed by Magura. Ekar is an in-house design and has also changed to a different (non RB) mineral oil. I think new road gruppos are expected to move to something similar to Ekar too.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Any idea when ekar will go eps and if it might be wireless as that would be a very tempting groupset for me
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

jgman

by jgman

Electronic shifting > Mechanical

lanternrouge

by lanternrouge

FWIW, I've heard there are no plans for going 2x13 within the new couple of years. I haven't heard about any other updates.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

lanternrouge wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:48 pm
FWIW, I've heard there are no plans for going 2x13 within the new couple of years. I haven't heard about any other updates.
Surely they must be going eps with Ekar.. just to cope with all the fully internally routed bikes?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com