Help choosing new aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geehee

by Geehee

Hi all.
I'm looking at buying a purely aero bike as my next upgrade (currently riding a 2016 Giant TCR). My budget is roughly $6000AUD ($4500USD, 3800€, 0.076 Bitcoin lol).

The bike should ideally have deep(er) rims (>40) and integrated cockpit cabling where possible. At a minimum, I'd like ultegra mechanical, but anything higher is a bonus. Below are bikes which I've narrowed the field down to but damn most of them are heavier than I thought they would be - is this the norm for aero bikes?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Possibles
- 2021 Giant Propel Advanced disc 1 ($5299 AUD, ~8.2kg). Solid aero bike but personally I am not a big fan of the look or weight. Great value for money and incl. Deep rims & integrated cabling (mostly). Reviews of this are pretty positive also.
- 2021 Scott Foil 30 ($6499 AUD, 8.1kg)). Love the look and the fully integrated cockpit is clean. Wish it had deep rims as standard though. Noticeably more expensive than the Propel/Reacto.
- 2021 Merida Reacto force edition ($6499AUD, 8.17kg). Same comments as the giant Propel. Very similar look in my eyes, though I like the idea of the electronic groupset. Is there a reason I never see any merida's on the street? Is there something I'm missing.
- 2021 Merida Reacto 6000 ($4199AUD, 8.46kg) heavier than the force edition Reacto but significantly cheaper. Cheap rims which can be replaced with the spare cash potentially.
- 2021 Trek Madone SL6 ($6499AUD, 8.73kg) This bike was one of my preferences as it comes with most of the features I'm after and I've read amazing things in terms of comfort and speed. But damn is it heavy.
- 2021 Cervelo S series ($6600AUD, ~8.5kg) A dark horse which came late into my considerations. Has quality credentials and good reviews. Crappy wheelset and higher price point aren't ideal though.

Unlikelys
- All-rounders (i.e. TCR, supersix, emonda, SL6)looking for a purely aero bike this time
- Cannondale Systemsix.l (~$7500AUD) too expensive unfortunately as I've read it's a weapon.
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 expert ($8000AUD) same comments as the systemsix
- BMC Time machine road ($10199AUD) f me, is it really that good?
- Bianchi XR4 ($5900AUD, ~8kg). This edition is the rim brake version which I don't really want to entertain. I also can't seem to find this version anywhere near me.
- Cervelo S5 ($7999). Good bike. Too expensive unfortunately

Unknowns
- Rose X Lite 4/6 (starting at $4600AUD) I've read pretty positive reviews on the bike, but I'm not sold on them as a brand just yet. X Lite models look enticing. Anyone have experience with Rose?
- Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0disc ($5900AUD, 7.78kg) to be honest, canyon was at the very top of my list. Great value for money, good looking bike and has most of the features I wanted. Now with the seat post and handlebar issues, in addition to the site being sold out/not accepting orders, I'm unfortunately thinking I may have to pass.
- Ribble Endurance SL/SLR disc (From $3800AUD, ~8.5kg) Not sure if they are in the same tier as some of the world tour brands, but their price point and customisations are undeniably appealing. The reviews seem positive enough but I've read their customer service is rubbish.
- 3T Strada Due (From ~$5500AUD, ~7.8kg) I've read really positive reviews about this bike being fast and stiff., Though it's hard getting your hands on one within my price limit (either complete or building up yourself). I was on board with this bike once upon a time but now I'm having second thoughts.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Have I missed any bikes or am I misreading the situation?
2021 Merida Reacto Force edition.....waiting
2016 Giant TCR Advanced 1
2010 Avanti Cadent 1.0

FrederickVCyclestein

by FrederickVCyclestein

The Quintanaroo SRFIVE with HED RC4s and Ultrgra mechanical meets your specs and is $5500 USD but I don't see a reliable weight listed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Geehee wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:38 am

- 2021 Merida Reacto force edition ($6499AUD, 8.17kg). Same comments as the giant Propel. Very similar look in my eyes, though I like the idea of the electronic groupset. Is there a reason I never see any merida's on the street? Is there something I'm missing.
Not many dealers around for some reason while Giant seems to have dealers all over the place :noidea:

Regardless, I have a standing order with my LBS for a Reacto Force Edition in a size S/M when one becomes available
Value for money, Merida seems to be a standout at the moment, at least here in Oz

hannawald

by hannawald

At this price point i would buy 2nd hand. There are sometimes some good offers especially on Systemsix or Trek..

fanatic278

by fanatic278

I like the look of that Merida Force Edition. You don't see many around - brand snobbery or lack of dealers?

I've got a Scott Foil and you won't hear a complaint from me, but that Merida looks to be the best deal.

Other options I can think of are out of budget. Orbea and Factor spring to mind.
Using Tapatalk

hartmannce

by hartmannce

Own a 2020 Reacto 4000. Merida`s are excellent value bikes, but less advertised. If I were you - I`d go with 6000 Reacto, and changing the stock crappy wheelset to a better one with deep rims.

citrusparty

by citrusparty

I'll add my two cents re: merida. In Aus, merida are mostly sold via 99bikes (a chain store). Because they're so widely available & have significant buying power, they 99bikes often pick up new cyclists so Merida is seen as a "first bike" kind of brand. They're also excellent value, so they are seen as a "cheap" brand as well. Availability (pre-covid) is not an issue.

I'll also add that I totally disagree with this assertion as they make good bikes for excellent value. I'd prefer to have bought a good bike for a good price instead of overpaying for a more hyped major brand.

ThomasBr96

by ThomasBr96

Merlincycles has some awesome deals on 3T strada Due's en Ridley Noah fast disc framesets. Ordered myself a Noah Fast Disc for 2.6k eu which is a steal! A full build probably will cost a bit more than 3.8k eu though...
Cube litening is also a very good value bike.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Also you can grab a discount at 99 bikes with an auscycle membership.

I was chatting mid crit with a guy on a blue Merida reacto ultegra di2 said he was in about $6500 with the discounts... looked good in the flesh to. Was December so prices may have moved north since...

Geehee

by Geehee

Andrew69 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:10 am
Geehee wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:38 am

Not many dealers around for some reason while Giant seems to have dealers all over the place :noidea:

Regardless, I have a standing order with my LBS for a Reacto Force Edition in a size S/M when one becomes available
Value for money, Merida seems to be a standout at the moment, at least here in Oz
Completey agree. Every second bike where I live is a Giant so I am trying to get away from that if I can
2010 Avanti Cadent 1.0

Geehee

by Geehee

PeytonM wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 am
Also you can grab a discount at 99 bikes with an auscycle membership.

I was chatting mid crit with a guy on a blue Merida reacto ultegra di2 said he was in about $6500 with the discounts... looked good in the flesh to. Was December so prices may have moved north since...
Mid crit!
2010 Avanti Cadent 1.0

Geehee

by Geehee

fanatic278 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 am
I like the look of that Merida Force Edition. You don't see many around - brand snobbery or lack of dealers?

I've got a Scott Foil and you won't hear a complaint from me, but that Merida looks to be the best deal.

Other options I can think of are out of budget. Orbea and Factor spring to mind.
My only dilemma is my ultegra power meter. Maybe sell it and get a quarq. Not ideal but it might the only option
2010 Avanti Cadent 1.0

fanatic278

by fanatic278

Why would you need to change the power meter? Compatibility with bb? Can't you put a Shimano crank into any bb with the addition of a shim?
Using Tapatalk

Andrew69

by Andrew69

fanatic278 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm
Why would you need to change the power meter? Compatibility with bb? Can't you put a Shimano crank into any bb with the addition of a shim?
Because the current Shimano PM's are about as accurate as throwing a dart at a dart board and using that as your power number

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alex222

by Alex222

I have the Rose X Lite 6, rim brake version. Absolutely love it, only minor complaint was untidy wiring at the front end which I've recently recitified.
They no longer allow any customisation, which was available when I bought mine, which reduces what I saw as a key selling point. But value wise I think they offer an excellent package.