Show me your top caps!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Perfection (imho as I do not like the CF looks there), looking so flat and underlines the slammed look.

https://www.bike-components.de/de/3min1 ... arz-1-1-8-

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Dr.Dos wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Perfection (imho as I do not like the CF looks there), looking so flat and underlines the slammed look.

Who knew I could get so excited about a top cap... something so simple is so perfect

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

Supacaz Holographic, got a few similar items to bling up an otherwise matte black bike... bar end caps, bottle cages, bolts, tubeless valves, pulley wheel and rotors.
20190530_200316.jpg

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Guilloche'd brass:

gwilson

by gwilson

Canadian flag + matches the frame
Attachments
vk-SQSplHCixwaRx7RD7pd-0ZJjfrbMhZ0ibsrIWmoU-1536x2048.jpeg

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Dr.Dos wrote:

That's just clean a simple. One thing I like is the slightly tapered edge instead of a hard corner.

Maddie

by Maddie

RichTheRoadie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:10 am
Guilloche'd brass:

Selfmade? Looks mesmerizing!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Maddie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:21 am
Selfmade? Looks mesmerizing!
Not self-made, no - it's from Kumo Cycles.

I got a camera shutter button to match, just for sh*ts & giggles! :lol:

BenScott144

by BenScott144

Dr.Dos wrote:

Such a shame they're only sold on that one site :(

StanK

by StanK

Yes, very nice, very simple, clean lines, thin, flat ... I like it. And very light, but lightness comes with a price.
The first customer review on that page says a lot. Aluminum screw is not a good enough solution in that place.

BenScott144

by BenScott144

StanK wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Yes, very nice, very simple, clean lines, thin, flat ... I like it. And very light, but lightness comes with a price.
The first customer review on that page says a lot. Aluminum screw is not a good enough solution in that place.
Yeah, could buy the cap and swap out the screw though

joejack951

by joejack951

BenScott144 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm
StanK wrote:
Or preload bearings using a steel screw, clamp stem, then replace the steel screw with the aluminum version. All it is doing is holding the cap in place at that point anyway.

My 'solution' to the top cap is to not use one at all. Here are some images of my bond-in-place steerer tube inserts which both reinforce the steerer where the stem clamps on and cap off the top of the steerer. A top cap (and a spacer) is used for preloading the bearings then removed after the stem clamp is tightened. The small plastic screw plugs the hole. I'm running an early version on my Hong Fu before I got the idea to make it flush on top.

BenScott144

by BenScott144

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:43 pm
BenScott144 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm
StanK wrote:
Or preload bearings using a steel screw, clamp stem, then replace the steel screw with the aluminum version. All it is doing is holding the cap in place at that point anyway.

My 'solution' to the top cap is to not use one at all. Here are some images of my bond-in-place steerer tube inserts which both reinforce the steerer where the stem clamps on and cap off the top of the steerer. A top cap (and a spacer) is used for preloading the bearings then removed after the stem clamp is tightened. The small plastic screw plugs the hole. I'm running an early version on my Hong Fu before I got the idea to make it flush on top.

Oooh.
But if bonded in, can never change the height?

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

If that screw wasn't dead in line it would piss me off looking at that every ride.
Last edited by Steve Curtis on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joejack951

by joejack951

BenScott144 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:26 pm
Oooh.
But if bonded in, can never change the height?
There is a certain amount of commitment one must make it bonding the insert in place, but not unlike the commitment of running a stem slammed. Any shortening would require cutting through the insert. If a small adjustment (say 10-20mm), the remaining bonded 'tube' inside of the fork could just have a star nut driven into it. If making a drastic change (30-40mm), the small remaining ring could be carefully removed and a new insert bonded in place.

If you wanted to change heights back and forth as some do, you would simply leave the steerer taller than the stem, adding a spacer under it as desired.

If the concern was swapping between stems of different clamp heights, I'd recommend cutting the steerer for the tallest clamp and running a small spacer under the stem to compensate for shorter clamps, thus always achieving a flush top.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com