New 2021 Gaerne Road shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jgman

by jgman

Looking for a new pair of road shoes. Saw the new Q36.5 Unique road shoes and now I see Gaerne has improved their top of the line Stilo with these beauties.

https://bikerumor.com/2021/01/22/gaerne ... mtb-shoes/

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Well it all depends on how narrow/wide your foot is and what will likely fit you best.
Many years ago, I wanted to get gaerne shoes, tried them on and they were just too wide for my feet. Ended up going with sidi and later on diadora.

What brand are you using now?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jgman

by jgman

I have an older version of the Stilo's and the fit is good. Looks like Gaerne has actually improved the fit/retention system with these. I am using S-works Exos now, and while I love the lightweight the fit is not as tight as I would like, especially in the heel area (I have narrow feet). Also was looking at the new Q36.5, but thinking may be better to go with a brand with a longer track record in the shoe area.

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

anyone using this shoes? Thinking about these vs sphyre rc902. Now using Empire SLX (narrow feet)

biwa

by biwa

Do Gaerne shoes fit narrow or wide? I've always read they're on the narrower side..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

biwa wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 am
Do Gaerne shoes fit narrow or wide? I've always read they're on the narrower side..

Narrow and low volume. The fit is very similar to the Shimano RC902.

biwa

by biwa

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:01 am
biwa wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 am

Narrow and low volume. The fit is very similar to the Shimano RC902.
Got it. Thanks. And could you confirm if their half sizes are just slightly wider and slightly more volume than the next size down but with the same length?

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have G Stilo+ that are about 5 years old and really like them.
I have medium width feet and there is planty of room and really comfortable.
Really high quality they still have some life left in them. The BOA dials still work perfectly.
I hope they kept the same shape / fit on the new ones.
Attachments
IMG-0916.jpg

jgman

by jgman

I have the 2021 model in the Iridium color. They are great shoes. Super comfortable, stiff sole, and very breathable. Also, the Iridium (oil slick) color is the coolest out there IMO.

jgman

by jgman

Also, I got them for around $350 USD at Bike 24. They are hard to find in the US.

3Pio

by 3Pio

jgman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:25 pm
I have an older version of the Stilo's and the fit is good. Looks like Gaerne has actually improved the fit/retention system with these. I am using S-works Exos now, and while I love the lightweight the fit is not as tight as I would like, especially in the heel area (I have narrow feet). Also was looking at the new Q36.5, but thinking may be better to go with a brand with a longer track record in the shoe area.
I allready have the new mode of Gaerne G.Stl and also i have older model as well (2019/2020 about 10000 km on those), and again i have 2018 model :) (About 20000 km on those)

Let's compare them:

2018 Model - A bit roomier and more rounded in the front part... Mine was a bit loosy feeling with regular insoles but after i tried other insoles like Specialized much better.. It was almost perfect when i made custom insoles... Still there is a difference in size in my left/right feet so not ideal for my left feet (those was size 43)...

2019/2020 Model - Narrower fit which was good and bad in same time.. Good since i prefer shoes with less vertical space in the front and those one are like that, a bit bad because it was narrower from the sides.. My feet are narrow heel, not to high in vertical measurment but wide in one part of the feet (just above small finger).. But still i like them..Started using them with Gaerne Insoles, but best fit for me is with Bongrager Insoles which u can bake in the oven for custom shape.. Found them as OLD Stock (they are old model) and satisfied...

Those model i was able to purchase in different size left/right (Left is 42.5 Right is 43)

2021 Model - in absolute front is still pointy fit as previous model, but in one part of the shoes they are wider.. Also there is more space in Toe Box.. A bit wider fit in the heel part compared to 2019/2020 model, but nothing to worry about... Interesting that they are wider than previous model but Boa location are a bit different, so when i tried using Specialized Insoles here i got some pain in the small finger (Specialized Inosles are a bit higher so seem that put my feet in position against Boa). With Gaerne Insoles absolutely comfortable (but i feel some pain on the feet from down part, since Gaerne Insoles are very thin). Also put some wedges to correct my Varus and still experimenting...

For my feet maybe not ideal shoes but perfect compromise and im very close to find sweet spot with them.. I got them 2 months ago, but not so many km's on them (i started riding them regulary in the last 2 weeks), since on longer rides i was picking the shoes that i know how fit will be :).. But on this new pair allredy have few longer rides and im very optimistic toward them...

Someone also asked if there is different between full size and half size in length or just wider/narrower... i had a chance to try 42 for my left feet and 42.5.. Based on putting finger in the heel area i had impression that 42 are not just narrower but also shorter in length (maybe 2-3 mm).. But i decide to get 42.5 at the end since my little finger and part around that was really painfull and numb after a while....

Based just on pure look 2019/2020 are more elegant, 2021 more modern look.. I purchased Black colour

If u need more info or have some other questions feel free to ask....

BTW, my opinion is that 2019/2020 model is more suitable for narrow feet, 2021 model maybe a bit more universal and more suitable for medium feet

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

3Pio wrote:
jgman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:25 pm
I allready have the new mode of Gaerne G.Stl and also i have older model as well (2019/2020 about 10000 km on those), and again i have 2018 model :) (About 20000 km on those)

Let's compare them:

2018 Model - A bit roomier and more rounded in the front part... Mine was a bit loosy feeling with regular insoles but after i tried other insoles like Specialized much better.. It was almost perfect when i made custom insoles... Still there is a difference in size in my left/right feet so not ideal for my left feet (those was size 43)...

2019/2020 Model - Narrower fit which was good and bad in same time.. Good since i prefer shoes with less vertical space in the front and those one are like that, a bit bad because it was narrower from the sides.. My feet are narrow heel, not to high in vertical measurment but wide in one part of the feet (just above small finger).. But still i like them..Started using them with Gaerne Insoles, but best fit for me is with Bongrager Insoles which u can bake in the oven for custom shape.. Found them as OLD Stock (they are old model) and satisfied...

Those model i was able to purchase in different size left/right (Left is 42.5 Right is 43)

2021 Model - in absolute front is still pointy fit as previous model, but in one part of the shoes they are wider.. Also there is more space in Toe Box.. A bit wider fit in the heel part compared to 2019/2020 model, but nothing to worry about... Interesting that they are wider than previous model but Boa location are a bit different, so when i tried using Specialized Insoles here i got some pain in the small finger (Specialized Inosles are a bit higher so seem that put my feet in position against Boa). With Gaerne Insoles absolutely comfortable (but i feel some pain on the feet from down part, since Gaerne Insoles are very thin). Also put some wedges to correct my Varus and still experimenting...

For my feet maybe not ideal shoes but perfect compromise and im very close to find sweet spot with them.. I got them 2 months ago, but not so many km's on them (i started riding them regulary in the last 2 weeks), since on longer rides i was picking the shoes that i know how fit will be :).. But on this new pair allredy have few longer rides and im very optimistic toward them...

Someone also asked if there is different between full size and half size in length or just wider/narrower... i had a chance to try 42 for my left feet and 42.5.. Based on putting finger in the heel area i had impression that 42 are not just narrower but also shorter in length (maybe 2-3 mm).. But i decide to get 42.5 at the end since my little finger and part around that was really painfull and numb after a while....

Based just on pure look 2019/2020 are more elegant, 2021 more modern look.. I purchased Black colour

If u need more info or have some other questions feel free to ask....

BTW, my opinion is that 2019/2020 model is more suitable for narrow feet, 2021 model maybe a bit more universal and more suitable for medium feet
oh, I was looking at the 2021 gstilo, but having narrow feet (now using giro empire slx) i think i will have to go with Sworks 7 or RC902…

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Edit: Read the first line wrong :roll:

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

So, the upshot is they're now basically true to size?

It's all a bit confusing, as for example Bike discount actually have a message stating they come up small and to size up from your regular size.

Buying online is a bit of a gamble...

Anyone have any other experiences?

I'm a 42, so considering a 43 FWIW.

Kurt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I wear the same size in Gaerne, Giro and current Shimano. I wear a half size smaller in Specialized and Bontrager. I wear a half size larger in older Shimano.

They are TTS, but slightly narrow.