Vittoria air liner road

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

vinny

by vinny

So what is the verdict on the Air liners?

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/bike-acc ... liner-road

They seem that they would be a great addition, the only issue really is the cost, 100.00 US for the tool kit etc for a bike.

by Weenie

PinaRene

by PinaRene

They were tested on GCN - great product. I am a tubular guy , but if I would run tubeless this would be a no brainer to buy. Great product and adds a lot of safety as far as I know..

sychen

by sychen

To be fair the gcn video is a paid advertisement.

That said I want to try them when available., doesn't affect ride quality and can get you home if your plug/co2 doesn't work and Weight penalty is minimal.

Biggest advantage is should hold even in a unbootable sidewall cut to get home.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not sure this is a no-brainer for anyone except professional teams.

- For a regular puncture that doesn't seal, installing a tube would let me continue my ride.
- If I'm riding far from home, I'm not going to be riding the equivalent of 20psi in a tire, damaging the sidewalls of a tire that can probably be repaired/patched.
- In an amateur race, this doesn't save me at all. I still won't be able to get back onto the pack after a wheel-swap because there's no caravan to draft behind.

MikeD

by MikeD

If you get a flat on the road, you can limp home but you can't take the tire off to put a tube in. But maybe with plugs you can repair the flat.

I'm not quite convinced that the ride quality and rolling resistance is not negatively affected, but it does improve safety, I think. If you get a blowout going around a corner, what would happen? Some amount of rotational weight added as well.
Last edited by MikeD on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theguy

by Theguy

From my point of view looks nice, could b a good way to keep cycling if I'm in trouble but hey, how long could take you to change that? Even an specific tool for it.

I don't know... mtb could be better but road cycling....

vinny

by vinny

That is where i am, not sure, the cost is high (but what isn't) and so far i get a flat, plug it and pump air in it if needed. the part that i am not the most sure about is the cost and taking the tire off latter.

snaxez

by snaxez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfnRW4giI94 PepisTireNoodle have something in works too

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

snaxez wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:16 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfnRW4giI94 PepisTireNoodle have something in works too

Tubolight has been selling their road liner for a while as well.

cveks

by cveks

Very interesting and practical product but with high price mark. Price should be somewhere around $20.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Seems great for safety but you'll need a wheel change. If it works well I'm sure we'll see rapid takeup amongst the pros.

Edit: just seen that Aerocoach tested the Tubolight product and found a small increase in rolling resistance. Surely this loss is similar to the gain achieved by moving from equivalently constructed tubular to tubeless? Bit pointless I suppose unless the sponsors are keen to move away from tubulars full stop.
Last edited by petromyzon on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Looks like a nightmare to install. As if fitting tubeless tyres wasn't thumb breakingly tough already!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

vinny

by vinny

cveks wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 am
Very interesting and practical product but with high price mark. Price should be somewhere around $20.
I agree, at 20 i would get it.

ymisyd

by ymisyd

vinny wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 am
cveks wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 am
I agree, at 20 i would get it.
They recommend replacement every year too!

by Weenie

stevesbike

by stevesbike

There are a ton of cyclists who are not very confident repairing a flat on the road. I think this would be great for them and would likely save some roadside phone calls asking for rides home.