Hylix Carbon Scam

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

unclearv

by unclearv

I purchased the Hylix Zero Carbon+Ti Seatpost-27.2. There was no way to tighten the clamp without slipping, even with carbon paste. I weigh 140 pounds.

Started a return with ebay seller "lan28033" or paypal alias "Liu Liqiang". He told me to ship the item back. When I gave him the quote for shipping with tracking he instructed me to send it back without tracking, which I did after he sent me the refund ( I know stupid).

Sent the item back because it was useless and was asked to close the ebay case. Stupid me didn't realize he sent me the money on paypal as a "buyer" instead of refunding my purchase.

6 months later this scammer started a dispute with paypal posing as the "buyer" and won the case because I did not provide tracking even though I was specifically instructed not to. To make matters worse, I paid for the return shipping out of pocket (I know stupid), and was charged a "dispute fee" by paypal because he told them I was the seller!

I see this brand come up a lot on this forum so I want to warn others who are trying to save grams. The tolerances are garbage.

Also, be careful with sellers who manipulate paypal.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I know, he's as asshole. I've lost money to him too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

unclearv

by unclearv

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:42 pm
I know, he's as asshole. I've lost money to him too.
That was fast...

Did he tell you his daughter was sick in the hospital too?

slake21

by slake21

unclearv wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm
I purchased the Hylix Zero Carbon+Ti Seatpost-27.2. There was no way to tighten the clamp without slipping, even with carbon paste. I weigh 140 pounds.

Started a return with ebay seller "lan28033" or paypal alias "Liu Liqiang". He told me to ship the item back. When I gave him the quote for shipping with tracking he instructed me to send it back without tracking, which I did after he sent me the refund ( I know stupid).

Sent the item back because it was useless and was asked to close the ebay case. Stupid me didn't realize he sent me the money on paypal as a "buyer" instead of refunding my purchase.

6 months later this scammer started a dispute with paypal posing as the "buyer" and won the case because I did not provide tracking even though I was specifically instructed not to. To make matters worse, I paid for the return shipping out of pocket (I know stupid), and was charged a "dispute fee" by paypal because he told them I was the seller!

I see this brand come up a lot on this forum so I want to warn others who are trying to save grams. The tolerances are garbage.

You wanted them to pay for return shipping?
Should've just sent it back with tracking and ask a shipping cost refund from PayPal

unclearv

by unclearv

slake21 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 pm
unclearv wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:31 pm

You wanted them to pay for return shipping?
Should've just sent it back with tracking and ask a shipping cost refund from PayPal
I wanted a refund for the seatpost. He sent the refund then by manipulating paypal he took the refund back 6 months later + I was charged a $20 "dispute fee".

garbageman

by garbageman

I'm sorry this happened to you. I bought a seatpost from the same guy - different model though as I had seen bad reviews of the one you purchased. Luckily I didn't have any problems other than realizing there were seemingly similar options that weigh less and cost half as much ("Elita One"). I checked my purchase history to see if I could give him another negative feedback on your behalf, but either I left a positive already or it's been too long. Hopefully this thread will make its way up the Google results and dissuade future buyers from doing business with this unscrupulous individual.

unclearv

by unclearv

garbageman wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:43 pm
I'm sorry this happened to you. I bought a seatpost from the same guy - different model though as I had seen bad reviews of the one you purchased. Luckily I didn't have any problems other than realizing there were seemingly similar options that weigh less and cost half as much ("Elita One"). I checked my purchase history to see if I could give him another negative feedback on your behalf, but either I left a positive already or it's been too long. Hopefully this thread will make its way up the Google results and dissuade future buyers from doing business with this unscrupulous individual.
I appreciate that.

I'm sure some of the Hylix products come out ok, some don't. But all of them are being sold and when you get the faulty one you have to live with it.

I thought I had protection from ebay/paypal, but clearly this guy has a lot more experience. The funny thing is that the paypal service rep let it slip that he was telling them through emails that he bought the seatpost from me. I waited months and they finally just closed it saying that the "buyer didnt receive their product".

I sent them proof of the emails with him telling me to ship without tracking but it came down to his refund guised as a purchase.

Maybe Elita One behaves more ethically.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Annoying loss but good thing is it was just a seatpost. That was clever scam and good reminder for all of us how these scammers can abuse ebay and paypal. I am not so familiar with ebay returns so i might have gone myself into the same scam.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

Sorry to hear about your experience. But did you not use a credit card? I can't speak about all cards. But with AMEX this would have been a non-issue. They would have returned your money pretty much right away. I can't imagine making any kind of purchase without using a CC. Nor can I think of a worse financial vehicle than a debit card. At least if you burn your cash it will keep you warm for a couple of minutes. A debit card? Hmmmmm....can't think of anything useful or worthwhile about them.

paolostrada

by paolostrada

Sorry to bump an older thread, discovered this discussion through some Googling, though unfortunately too late. I bought a Hylix KNOT seatpost for my CAAD13 as a slightly cheaper alternative to the Cannondale one.

Needless to say the seatpost doesn't work properly as the saddle can be rotated in the saddle clamp even with the bolts fully torqued.

The eBay seller is "liukang1985" though I suspect it may be the same person mentioned in this thread. I have made a return request on eBay, but I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point, as it sounds like I stand to lose more from trying to get my money back!

unclearv

by unclearv

paolostrada wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 am
Sorry to bump an older thread, discovered this discussion through some Googling, though unfortunately too late. I bought a Hylix KNOT seatpost for my CAAD13 as a slightly cheaper alternative to the Cannondale one.

Needless to say the seatpost doesn't work properly as the saddle can be rotated in the saddle clamp even with the bolts fully torqued.

The eBay seller is "liukang1985" though I suspect it may be the same person mentioned in this thread. I have made a return request on eBay, but I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point, as it sounds like I stand to lose more from trying to get my money back!
Do not respond to any messages outside of ebay. If he refunds you any money make sure it is a reversal/refund of the original transaction. Also do not pay for return shipping.

This scumbag sent me my refund in the form of a payment through paypal, I sent the seatpost back and he claimed that he purchased it from me and never received it. I ended up paying for the seatpost and return shipping.

Same seatpost that had the same issues.

PSM

by PSM

Buy shit. Get shit? :)

paolostrada

by paolostrada

unclearv wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am
paolostrada wrote:

Do not respond to any messages outside of ebay. If he refunds you any money make sure it is a reversal/refund of the original transaction. Also do not pay for return shipping.

This scumbag sent me my refund in the form of a payment through paypal, I sent the seatpost back and he claimed that he purchased it from me and never received it. I ended up paying for the seatpost and return shipping.

Thanks for the tip - I will see how it goes with trying to resolve the issue on eBay, he has asked me to send pictures of the problem and offered a replacement. I've responded to say I'm not interested and just want a refund. Also not sure how I'm supposed to take photos of something moving around :noidea:
PSM wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am
Quite. I thought it might be alright as a friend of mine has had no problem buying China carbon, but I won't make the same mistake again.

unclearv

by unclearv

paolostrada wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 am
unclearv wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am
paolostrada wrote:

Thanks for the tip - I will see how it goes with trying to resolve the issue on eBay, he has asked me to send pictures of the problem and offered a replacement. I've responded to say I'm not interested and just want a refund. Also not sure how I'm supposed to take photos of something moving around :noidea:
PSM wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am
Quite. I thought it might be alright as a friend of mine has had no problem buying China carbon, but I won't make the same mistake again.
Those round clamps are a not a good design for cheaper carbon with bad tolerances. Other more traditlional systems are fine for cheap carbon seatposts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

Couple years ago I bought Climax seatpost (which is, obviously), same sh*t as mentioned Helix. I manage to tighten it, somehow, but something seemed a bit strange. Yes, it is. It was 27.0, not 27.2. And it was also pain in the ass, literally.
For little extra money I obtained used Ritchey Superlogic One-bolt, and finished that story forever, probably.

And that's my advice to anyone, me included :mrgreen: - better buy a good used product, but gamble with something suspicious in order to save not too much money.