The best stem for carbon steerer tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

matteof93

by matteof93

I am looking for an aluminium stem that allows to correctly spread the clamping force of the stem over a large area of the steerer tube.
Basically, I am looking precisely for the opposite of popular stems like the Extralite ones.

This is an example of what I do not want to use

This is an example of what I would like to find

Any idea?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Most are much nearer the top in terms of cut-out, as you have discovered.
Bontrager Race X Lite has a smaller cut-out than many, and works well on carbon steerers and bars in my experience. I've also had success with Ritchey C220/C260 and 3T Arx (first generation), but the cut-outs are larger than the Bontrager.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The op is using his head on this one. So many people just trust the brand and ignore common sense. Of course the stem at the top (at a certain clamping force F) is going to leave a deeper nastier imprint on the steerer tube.

matteof93

by matteof93

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:33 pm
The op is using his head on this one. So many people just trust the brand and ignore common sense. Of course the stem at the top (at a certain clamping force F) is going to leave a deeper nastier imprint on the steerer tube.
There is also another option: using a 1" 1/4 (or 1" 1/2) stem with an adapter for the standard 1" 1/8 steerer tube. I think that the adapter is thick enough to evenly spread the clamping force.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

~I believe every Bontrager stem has no cutout in the clamping zone~ (no, actually XXX carbon or a few only).

Btw, what's the point of this small pin-hole? I don't think it reduces much weight nor the stem really needs hole to a drain water... The diameter doesn't seems enough big for a electronic cable.
Last edited by Cemicar on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabefast

by wannabefast

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:29 pm
I believe every Bontrager stem has no cutout in the clamping zone.

Btw, what's the point of this small pin-hole? I don't think it reduces much weight nor the stem really needs hole to a drain water... The diameter doesn't seems enough big for a electronic cable.
I think it's for heat escape/relief during the production/forging process, otherwise the metal might warp or something.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:29 pm
I believe every Bontrager stem has no cutout in the clamping zone.

My guess would be that it's to allow the escape of air during manufacture.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

alcatraz wrote:
any imprint on the steerer tube is the sign of over-tightening. There's no need for any torque values about 4-5 Nm for stem/steerer bolts.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

stevesbike wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:05 pm
alcatraz wrote:
any imprint on the steerer tube is the sign of over-tightening. There's no need for any torque values about 4-5 Nm for stem/steerer bolts.
I torque mine to 4Nm with a Stahlwille torque wrench and it still leaves minor imprints.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

May I ask why you want a stem like this?

Unless you have a paper thin carbon steerer you'll be fine with extralite, I've run them for over 10yrs on various forks without any marks/blemishes.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

MaxPower

by MaxPower

The specialized stems with shims. Enve stem with shims. Zipp has one as well.

They do a fine job with spreading clamp forces. Might be on heavy side though.

Metron 5d (integrated stem/bar from vision) has no holes at all on the clamping area.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Bontrager (Blendr Pro) stems are pretty kind to the steerer tube.
But not as kind to carbon bar. It's not bad but can leave a bit of mark on the bar clamp.

usr

by usr

Would "no hole" actually be better? Better than "reinvesting" the weight saved by the hole in additional clamping surface at the edge?

DaveS

by DaveS

The hole shouldn't be a problem unless the stem is over tightened. I use nothing but stems with big holes and never have a problem. My stems for a long time were Ritchey and now I use the zipp sl service course.
Last edited by DaveS on Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

The Ritchey Superlogic Carbon C260 is probably the most advanced design if you're really concerned. In addition to a huge surface area, the opening has a curved radius design so the clamping force is distributed and has 3 bolts with the middle bolt going the opposing direction and all 3 have a max torque of 4Nm. The faceplate is also well-designed with the stem having a 260 degree wrap on the bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com