The best stem for carbon steerer tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Any stem that is primarily carbon fibre usually doesn't have any hole, I use the Zipp Sprint stem, but have similar observations about the Pro Vibe sprint, and Giant Contact SLR stem. I use the Zipp stem because the supplied top cap covers a 1-2mm protrusion from the steerer tube, so you can leave some steerer tube above the stem, and fit the top cap without the need for a thin spacer.

A word of caution on the contact SLR if you're not using a 1-1/4 steerer: the supplied shim has a (huge) cut out. But if you get a (heavier) shim from a contact stem and pair it with the stem it should work fine.

If carbon stems are out of your pricepoint, I've had good experience with cheaper BBB stems, as well as older Bontrager RXL stems - both have a small hole. Honourable mention to Cannondale C3 stems - their (large) cut out doesn't sit in the centre, it's closer to the bottom than the top (when you run the stem with negative rise).

TL;DR: if you can afford it get the Zipp sprint stem.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

I'd recommend the OG Evkin ones from AliExpress. They claim to be carbon, but I'm fairly sure they're carbon wrapped aluminium, like the Zipps etc. Anyway, the contact is 'soft' carbon for the steerer, and it's a full wrap - there is no cutout at all. Fairly light too.

If you want to go full weightweenie, get a Darimo or Mcfk - no cutout carbon. For the reasons highlighted by the OP, I don't think Extralite or Lyti (budget choice) are great, as the cutout is so large and contact point so small.