2022 New Frame Rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neomoz

by neomoz

Considering how many frames these pro teams crash, I'd say most of the costs is sponsorship and throwing high end equipment at teams. But yes bike companies have used the pandemic demand to grossly push up prices, sad part is people are forking out the cash which just reinforces to these companies they can get away with it.

maquisard

by maquisard

neomoz wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Considering how many frames these pro teams crash, I'd say most of the costs is sponsorship and throwing high end equipment at teams.
You may be right, Cervelo nearly went insolvent due to the Cervelo Test Team.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

the problem is the high cost of the bikes and the amateur level in the design/manufacturing/quallty control. here is a recent issue from TREK.

they released a service bulletin on MY 19-22 domane/madone on the IsoSpeed bolt nut loosening. here is the last part of the text.
i am sure current customers who are paying up too 20K are going to be thrilled. :D

What Trek is doing
Trek is investigating design changes for future production.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

topt

by topt

dont know if this was posted already but is Gesink here riding the new S5 or its the old one ? camo colours look the same as on R5
https://www.strava.com/activities/5636416276

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

topt wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm
dont know if this was posted already but is Gesink here riding the new S5 or its the old one ? camo colours look the same as on R5
https://www.strava.com/activities/5636416276

Looks like any old S5 except the paint and really long stem.

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

Has anyone spoken to his lbs who could tell, when Cervelo plans to officially present the new R5? Or is it still uncertain due to Covid impact?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 pm
Has anyone spoken to his lbs who could tell, when Cervelo plans to officially present the new R5? Or is it still uncertain due to Covid impact?
“It’s still under development, still in engineering,” said Richard Keeskamp from Cervelo’s sports marketing division. “We have been testing it with the team, and yesterday was the first race. We can still make some small adjustments to it but I believe, from the feedback we have, it’s 99% sure that we will bring it like it is. What I can tell you is that the cables are all internal, but that’s not all. We are not bringing a new bike that only features internal cable routing. There will be more new shapes to the bike, but the last details, I am not sure yet.”

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/primoz- ... -wallonne/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

That was in April however, many in the team are riding the new R5 now. It looks finished.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's quite easy to drop an email to Cervelo!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:01 am
Of course it is, but I wouldn't expect a huge bike brand as Cervelo to answer such a question.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:01 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:01 am
Of course it is, but I wouldn't expect a huge bike brand as Cervelo to answer such a question.
Maybe, i have asked now so we'll see.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

maquisard

by maquisard

If the new R5 is on the UCI list of approved prototypes (which means un-disclosed, unlike the normal UCI approved list) then it has to be either released for sale within the next 12 months OR withdrawn from use by pro teams. The second case is very unlikely and given the frame was starting to be used in the peloton in April, the new R5 must be released later this year or first quarter of next.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Bingo. It boggles my mind that bikes have climbed to 20k, more than some motorcycles.

As for new frames. I'd be keen to see more standardised cross compatibility.

[/quote]

I disagree, just because I can afford to pay for something does not mean I don't resent pointless price increases.

I work as an engineer and manage project and R&D budgets. I will chase and understand every cost. I hate paying over the price for a service or product when it is not justified. A top of the range, mass produced road bike from Specialized or Trek is not worth 20k.
[/quote]

maquisard

by maquisard

The one thing that makes me nervous on the modern 'super bikes' is the concealed cables, lines through the headset via D-shaped steerer. I worry for the longevity of such a system and problems with cable rub on carbon fibre steerer and frame. It needs careful monitoring and worse, lots of these parts are custom. These are not bikes that it will be easy to get parts for in future.

The industry needs been standards and cross-compatibility in this area.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

maquisard wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:15 pm
The industry needs been standards and cross-compatibility in this area [concealed cabling].
That ^^