2022 New Frame Rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

misteryellow wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:37 pm
If Cannondale were ordering frames with BB's vastly out of spec to prevent rejection that would indicate poor QC control. Nonetheless, the end result matters here. And the end result is often poor quality with premium pricing.
No it wouldn't, the QC would be fine, they would just be changing the spec so more frames passed QC. It says nothing about the effectiveness of the QC. All manufacturing processes have a yield that passes QC without re-work, by lowering spec you are increasing the yield. It is widely known that Cervelo changed the spec on BBright to increase the yield.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

maquisard wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:50 am
I'd say it's worse on my UP. No idea why precision is so hard, Ax Lightness obviously makes it.
Ax Lightness don't make the UP, they did a very limited manufacture of some of the Open MTB frames but never the gravel frames.

All Open frames are made in Asia, presumably in the same place as 3T frames.
Jesus, no no, Ax for sure don't make any Open frames. I know the story of the prototypes well. Spoke to Andy about that.
The precision on Ax is way better than on UP.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wheelsONfire wrote:
My frame has direct press bearings. That means you just press right and left bearings right into the frame. No creak, no problems. They fit tight and snug.
I'd say it's worse on my UP. No idea why precision is so hard, Ax Lightness obviously makes it.
Only other frame i know of had this, was original RCA. But they quit and started with standard pressfit
That's not a guarantee of performance either. Trek BB90 presses bearings directly into the frame and they ended up having to make a B spec slightly bigger bearing for use in frames where the original bearing didn't sit right in the shell anymore.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:23 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
My frame has direct press bearings. That means you just press right and left bearings right into the frame. No creak, no problems. They fit tight and snug.
Only other frame i know of had this, was original RCA. But they quit and started with standard pressfit
That's not a guarantee of performance either. Trek BB90 presses bearings directly into the frame and they ended up having to make a B spec slightly bigger bearing for use in frames where the original bearing didn't sit right in the shell anymore.
Sad for Trek owners. I haven't had that issue on none of my 3 Ax Lightness Vial EVO. 2015, 2016 and the last (considered a 2019 version) Vial EVO Race.
However, i can't say it won't happen. So far no problem and Ax lightness have never steered away from this design.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Lina

by Lina

The thing with pressfit BBs is that they work without any problems as long as the frame is within the designed tolerances. As you get to frames that aren't within the tolerances you run into a massive array of problems. People blame pressfit for all those problems when they should in reality be blaming the bike manufacturers for selling them something that should have never passed QC. Many of these manufacturers have now moved back to threaded BBs, but I can guarantee you that they haven't fixed their tolerances and QC. If they couldn't make good pressfit BBs I can guarantee that the pressfit BBs won't be any better. You may not hear any creaking, but it'll eat your bearings just the same.

And the reason manufacturers can get away with such piss poor QC is because people for some reason are willing to take that level of quality from frames that cost $$$$.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Lina wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:36 pm
The thing with pressfit BBs is that they work without any problems as long as the frame is within the designed tolerances. As you get to frames that aren't within the tolerances you run into a massive array of problems. People blame pressfit for all those problems when they should in reality be blaming the bike manufacturers for selling them something that should have never passed QC. Many of these manufacturers have now moved back to threaded BBs, but I can guarantee you that they haven't fixed their tolerances and QC. If they couldn't make good pressfit BBs I can guarantee that the pressfit BBs won't be any better. You may not hear any creaking, but it'll eat your bearings just the same.

And the reason manufacturers can get away with such piss poor QC is because people for some reason are willing to take that level of quality from frames that cost $$$$.
This. Also, Pressfit BB are way stiffer than threaded BBs. But then again this only applies if tolerances are met...
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

A frame from Light Bicycles (better known for their wheels):

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Journey-Ca ... uting.html
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:38 am

Rarely am I absolutely repulsed by the look of a bicycle [frame.]

pmprego

by pmprego

bikewithnoname wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:38 am

As some people rightfully pointed out it's rhe same frame as winspace gravel frame. But they are not pretty, that's for sure.

Maddie

by Maddie

Looks like a riveted military jet

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

New Ribble Ultra looks aero AF. I like!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/ribble-ultra/
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 am
New Ribble Ultra looks aero AF. I like!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/ribble-ultra/
People will not be able to say "they are all equal now" about this ribble bike.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Yep. I love that they do that. Not sure I like the handlebar looks, the levers not being clamped or the lack of bar tape, but if it is faster, it's all fair and good!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:19 am
Yep. I love that they do that. Not sure I like the handlebar looks, the levers not being clamped or the lack of bar tape, but if it is faster, it's all fair and good!
Very interesting!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

pmprego

by pmprego

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:19 am
Given the bottom part shape I guess it seems fairly trivial to put tape downthere (just like the new shimano pro handlebar). The upper part is differente but hey... free speed is what they are talking about :D
I wonder if that's something we'll see in track racing. Handlebars that somehow flare up.

What about those fork blades!! The new UCI rules are starting to appear on bikes. I saw that and thought "there you go specialized, now is up to you and your #aeroiseverything"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com