2022 New Frame Rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mgrl

by mgrl

Enda Marron wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 pm
Guys...
Is Cannondale going to release a new TT bike (or frameset)?
Yes, next year. The pros have had prototypes since the tour of Romandie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Spartan01 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am
Reposting from one of the earlier pages of the Canyon Aeroad rumours thread (with a pic from Canyon's QC at their factory) - that third frame on the left (black) - could this be the next generation Ultimate / Endurace with dropped Seatstays?
Looks more like a speed max tt/tri bike with that head tube/ fork setup

cberg

by cberg

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:55 am
Spartan01 wrote:
Reposting from one of the earlier pages of the Canyon Aeroad rumours thread (with a pic from Canyon's QC at their factory) - that third frame on the left (black) - could this be the next generation Ultimate / Endurace with dropped Seatstays?
The bike that cant really be identified is the one behind the new Aeroad frame, the frame in front is clearly a Speedmax

Andrew69

by Andrew69

cberg wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 am
Andrew69 wrote:
Spartan01 wrote:
The bike that cant really be identified is the one behind the new Aeroad frame, the frame in front is clearly a Speedmax
I didnt notice the earthy coloured frame before (far right), but judging by the oval seatpost, if anything, it will be the new Ultimate because I would hazard a guess that Canyon will stick with the current VCLS 2.0 split seatpost for the Endurace.

henau212

by henau212

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:27 am
cberg wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 am
Andrew69 wrote:
Spartan01 wrote:
I didnt notice the earthy coloured frame before (far right), but judging by the oval seatpost, if anything, it will be the new Ultimate because I would hazard a guess that Canyon will stick with the current VCLS 2.0 split seatpost for the Endurace.
No, they won't. Roman Arnold confirmed in an article that the new Endurace will feature the seatpost from the patent:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/prod ... ome-490197
Interview:
As it turns out, the alternative seatpost design that was published by CyclingTips recently isn’t the intended fix (although the company does plan to use it for the upcoming Endurace redesign).
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ct-excl ... g-forward/

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I forgot about all that!
Then it would appear that is may well be the new Endurace, but who knows for sure

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:13 pm
The new Orbea Orca Aero, to be revealed on 27th of September.

orbea_aero_1.png
Whats the story with this? I thought they launched it a few days ago but still no sign? the website asks to sign in then gives an error?

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

Aerohead23 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:29 pm
mrlobber wrote:

orbea_aero_1.png
Whats the story with this? I thought they launched it a few days ago but still no sign? the website asks to sign in then gives an error?
The website once you sign in, has the official release of today in about an hour and a half.

coffeeaddict

by coffeeaddict

coffeeaddict wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:42 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:29 pm
mrlobber wrote:

orbea_aero_1.png
The website once you sign in, has the official release of today in about an hour and a half.
https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/road/orca-aero/

RDY

by RDY

It looks interesting, though I remain extremely dubious about Orbea's road bikes after hearing a bunch of horror stories about terribly out of round or misaligned BB shells.

But seriously ... the toolbox / lunchbox being mounted under the downtube near the BB ...does the designer actually ride bikes? That's going to get horribly fouled any time the road is even slightly wet, and constantly pelted with road debris any other time. Also, surely in the wedge between top and down tube or top and seat tube would be more aero as well as being much more practical - the Cube Agree does that. Failing that - TT / Tri style behind seat tube.

Not a fan of their "price on application" for frameset - that sounds dodgy. Just state the damned price. €4000 for mechanical Ultegra. Custom painting apparently 'free'. DA 92xx €10k.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Downtube underside box might help protect the frame and keeps weight at low centre of gravity.

Hope more brands come up with tool storage solutions that help with aero...as mounting a saddle bag on highest part of bicycle handicaps the bike in most cases..

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Specialized swot box, TimeMachine, and Speedmax have had their storage above the BB. Imo, that's the best place. Agreed it would be nice to have more bikes with this option. I don't mind the Orbea version though. Protects the frame, looks pretty big, and low center of gravity, as already mentioned.

C36

by C36

RDY wrote: But seriously ... the toolbox / lunchbox being mounted under the downtube near the BB ...does the designer actually ride bikes? That's going to get horribly fouled any time the road is even slightly wet, and constantly pelted with road debris any other time. Also, surely in the wedge between top and down tube or top and seat tube would be more aero as well as being much more practical - the Cube Agree does that. Failing that - TT / Tri style behind seat tube.
I think quite the opposite, it lowers center of gravity and participate to the aero.
The water tightness has to do with the design and of done properly it won’t be a problem. Now for debris playing drums on that case, that’s not something you see on normal road conditions.

Overall, waiting to see Tour tests (if they test…) but I find it quite a nice bike, probably the nicest I have seen of the 2022 releases.

Lina

by Lina

RDY wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 pm
But seriously ... the toolbox / lunchbox being mounted under the downtube near the BB ...does the designer actually ride bikes? That's going to get horribly fouled any time the road is even slightly wet, and constantly pelted with road debris any other time. Also, surely in the wedge between top and down tube or top and seat tube would be more aero as well as being much more practical - the Cube Agree does that. Failing that - TT / Tri style behind seat tube.
Literally all of those concern are also valid for a saddle bag/behind the seat tube box. And other than being pelted by road debris also for inside the triangle storage boxes. But being on the downtube outside the frame it also protects the frame from being pelted by road debris.

And I wouldn't be so sure that an inside the frame box is any more aero. The Orbea box closes the gap between the front tire and the downtube while the inside the frame boxes close the lower end of the main triangle. With an ouside the frame box you can mount your water bottles lower and have a margically lower center of gravity.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:57 am
RDY wrote: But seriously ... the toolbox / lunchbox being mounted under the downtube near the BB ...does the designer actually ride bikes? That's going to get horribly fouled any time the road is even slightly wet, and constantly pelted with road debris any other time. Also, surely in the wedge between top and down tube or top and seat tube would be more aero as well as being much more practical - the Cube Agree does that. Failing that - TT / Tri style behind seat tube.
I think quite the opposite, it lowers center of gravity and participate to the aero.
The water tightness has to do with the design and of done properly it won’t be a problem. Now for debris playing drums on that case, that’s not something you see on normal road conditions.

Overall, waiting to see Tour tests (if they test…) but I find it quite a nice bike, probably the nicest I have seen of the 2022 releases.
Like you, I'd like to know "how aero" it is in comparison to its peer group. Apart from that new Orca Aero is a very sleek looking bike and I'm also very happy to see a two piece cockpit.
The toolbox does look unconvtional, but it's quite nice not to need a saddle pack or have one more free jersey pocket. Unlike the BMC TMR, the bike still looks very nice in "UCI-Mode" without it should you race or just dislike the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com