2022 New Frame Rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 pm
Venge was a more complex mould and layup, therefore higher cost. They sell all of what they produce, they probably won't bring back an aero road frame until they need to drive sales - and then I'm not sure it'll exactly be a priority. It's a rapidly diminishing sector of the market.
How can it be, according to Spesh aero is all, so they should eat their BS claims. Hypoctites is what they are....
They gave the people what the wanted. In 98% of cases a Customer will ever face, aero is King.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

maquisard

by maquisard

Gravel and wide tire clearance is king at the moment really!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

pmprego wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:22 pm
The aero light to rival the addicts, tarmac, emonda, etc etc.
I figured. But if you're at 6.8kg on an aero frame, makes little sense to make the frame less aero and lighter

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

RDY wrote:
Venge was a more complex mould and layup, therefore higher cost. They sell all of what they produce, they probably won't bring back an aero road frame until they need to drive sales - and then I'm not sure it'll exactly be a priority. It's a rapidly diminishing sector of the market.
Isn't manufacturing a tiny part of the cost? Spesh is charging $5000+ for frames that probably cost around $500 to make. If the venge was more expensive, I doubt the mfg cost would as much as double. But even if it did, that would barely move the needle on the retail price.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:42 pm
RDY wrote:
Isn't manufacturing a tiny part of the cost? Spesh is charging $5000+ for frames that probably cost around $500 to make. If the venge was more expensive, I doubt the mfg cost would as much as double. But even if it did, that would barely move the needle on the retail price.

The retail value of some of those paint themes borders on $1000

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Yoln wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 pm
2022 means Colnago 68th year in business if I'm correct -> Colnago C68 !
Reckon I'll wait till '23 to buy a Colnago then

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:35 pm
UCI rules
I hate on the UCI for the same reason I despise the MPAA. Almost nobody gave them their authority, and they're completely unaccountable, yet by default they have veto power over the big time of an entire field of human endeavour.

Pitchforks and guillotines, I say. Damn them all to hell. BTW, check out This Film Is Not Yet Rated for a surprising crash course on the MPAA (spoiler: it's a propaganda organisation of the Catholics, Mormons and the NRA).

pmprego

by pmprego

BigBoyND wrote:
RDY wrote:
What industries have a mark-up of 10x?? I really don't understand in what world people think they live.

Regarding weight and disc bikes i would say that the uci 6.8kg limit might be binding just for the Aethos in a standard out of the shop package. Remember that uci includes a lot of additional stuff in the weight-in. You need a bike of around 6.4kg (or less) "naked" to hit the uci weight limit.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Lots of industries. But you can't think about 10x for bikes the way you would for movie popcorn considering the cost associated with R&D, marketing, etc. But the manufacturing itself is cheap. I've seen multiple sources estimate 5%-20% of retail price.

pmprego

by pmprego

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:33 am
Lots of industries. But you can't think about 10x for bikes the way you would for movie popcorn considering the cost associated with R&D, marketing, etc. But the manufacturing itself is cheap. I've seen multiple sources estimate 5%-20% of retail price.
They have to put a markup on top of their total costs. What conpany puts a markup on just a fraction of their cost? How do they cover the rest then? I'm not following here.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Whether the mfg cost is $500 or $550 doesn't change the marketing, sales, admin, R&D, etc. I'm just saying if a Venge is "more expensive" to make than an SL7, it likely isn't by enough to matter. Best case they both round up to the same number anyway (as sales prices usually are). Absolute worst case, the Venge would cost $500 more than a SL7. Not much to sway a buyer looking at $5000 frames and $10k+ builds.

RDY

by RDY

BigBoyND wrote:
RDY wrote:
They're quite happy to sell a $450 frame at more than $5k instead of a $500 frame. Especially when the lower end models share the mould.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:16 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm
RDY wrote:
How can it be, according to Spesh aero is all, so they should eat their BS claims. Hypoctites is what they are....
They gave the people what the wanted. In 98% of cases a Customer will ever face, aero is King.
Most people don't know much when it comes to bikes (playing nice here) and trust blindly what they're told.
If aero is King and that is what Spesh try to tell all and everybody, they should keep to that market.
In cycling King is what the industry tells you, sadly they have got away with that.

There's a bike missing, it's a bike that has a more friendly geometry but rides more like a race bike.
But few people are so unaware of what this would be, so there is no-one asking for this.
Which again tells, most don't know more than what they're told/ informed of.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

Like a Cervelo Caledonia you mean?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

@wheelsonfire
Might be that people don't know what they want, but aero is hard to measure, while weight is easy to measure.
That's why there are so many "aero-doubters".
You lift up a lighter bike and immediate feel what it is.
That you then add 90% of the System weight after weighing it, and that weight has hardly any effect on the flat, is neglected easily.
Look at any bike presentation video on YT.
The comments are always "xyz dollars for a bike that is kg? My (bike Name with rim brakes) weighs xy weight and cost one third!"

People want an expensive bike to be light.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7