Red AXS rear derailleur not waking from sleep

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

The last few days when about to leave for a ride, my Red AXS rear derailleur has been completely non-responsive. It does not react to signals from the shifters, nor when pressing the button on the derailleur itself. Pop off and reinstall the battery, things are back to working. Front derailleur still worked as supposed to. Anyone else experienced this?

To me this feels like a software issue, with the rear derailleur not properly getting out of deep sleep or being stuck in some loop. I just travelled to Mallorca for some riding, and as part of maintenance before leaving, I updated to the latest available firmware version 2.17.0. Release notes mentions increasing the sleep timer from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. My suspicion would be the engineers introduced some critical bug when making this change…

(And yes, my batteries were fully charged, not attached to the bike while traveling, and the rear derailleur removed from the hanger and stored in a separate baggie…)

Also is it just me or has the AXS app (iPhone) become unreliable lately? This bike also has the Red AXS powermeter, but the app can no longer remember both the groupset and powermeter. If I add both to the bike, next time I launch the app one of the two will have disappeared at random. Also battery status for the shifters only displays a question mark. I got a new iPhone a while ago and everything seemed to transfer over, but maybe everything needs to be reset and repaired anyway?

DaveS

by DaveS

I installed the update on two bikes with force. No problems afterward.

I checked one of my bikes this morning. The derailleurs stay connected longer, but the shifters don't. The new firmware didn't include the shifters and both say up to date.
Last edited by DaveS on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BadBoyR

by BadBoyR

No problems with mine either after the latest update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vinny

by vinny

mine are working well. but the app is quite broken i am having issues with the app too. it forgets what's connected etc, just as you described

carbonazza

by carbonazza

I'm having issues too with the app.
Anyone know one way to contact SRAM for this ?

vinny

by vinny

You can go to axs.sram.com and there is a support link at the bottom. the app has a suport link also, i have sent in support requests in the past.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

vinny wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 am
You can go to axs.sram.com and there is a support link at the bottom. the app has a suport link also, i have sent in support requests in the past.
Thank you ! I didn't check that site :roll:

The app kept forgetting the settings, and was not providing control options for the Reverb dropper.
Using another derailleur with the firmware 2.73 instead of the 2.81 did work!
Pairing all components from one derailleur to the other and back.
I need my two bikes together to make changes, not ideal but good enough as a workaround while SRAM fix this.

garage0racing

by garage0racing

MayhemSWE wrote:The last few days when about to leave for a ride, my Red AXS rear derailleur has been completely non-responsive. It does not react to signals from the shifters, nor when pressing the button on the derailleur itself. Pop off and reinstall the battery, things are back to working. Front derailleur still worked as supposed to. Anyone else experienced this?

To me this feels like a software issue, with the rear derailleur not properly getting out of deep sleep or being stuck in some loop. I just travelled to Mallorca for some riding, and as part of maintenance before leaving, I updated to the latest available firmware version 2.17.0. Release notes mentions increasing the sleep timer from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. My suspicion would be the engineers introduced some critical bug when making this change…

(And yes, my batteries were fully charged, not attached to the bike while traveling, and the rear derailleur removed from the hanger and stored in a separate baggie…)

Also is it just me or has the AXS app (iPhone) become unreliable lately? This bike also has the Red AXS powermeter, but the app can no longer remember both the groupset and powermeter. If I add both to the bike, next time I launch the app one of the two will have disappeared at random. Also battery status for the shifters only displays a question mark. I got a new iPhone a while ago and everything seemed to transfer over, but maybe everything needs to be reset and repaired anyway?
Have the same issue after the latest firmware update.
Appears to be totally random.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

garage0racing wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:41 pm
Have the same issue after the latest firmware update.
Appears to be totally random.
Yeah, I had this issue every morning over 4-5 days or something, then it worked as usual after that. According go the AXS user's group on Facebook SRAM has acknowledged the issue and promised a fix in the next firmware 2.17.1 but who knows when they get that released.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

How do I update to SRAM fw 2.17?
All I get is this screen. Basically for eternity:

Although I never liked the app, it has always worked for updates for me...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 am
All I get is this screen.
Both app and firmware are currently very buggy unfortunately. Screenshot says fw.update.battery.warning which normally ought to been expanded to some sort of warning about not doing the update without fully charged batteries. Are they fully charged, both derailleur and your phone?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Well, not "fully" charged, but around 90% on each, so absolutely enough...
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

vinny

by vinny

MayhemSWE wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:30 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 am
All I get is this screen.
Both app and firmware are currently very buggy unfortunately. Screenshot says fw.update.battery.warning which normally ought to been expanded to some sort of warning about not doing the update without fully charged batteries. Are they fully charged, both derailleur and your phone?
Just want to add to this that i also find the app very very buggy, it works well sometimes and other times, with nothing changing, it stops working.

Right now i can't connect the app to the rear derailer, the app always times out.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I have now fully charged all batteries and let it sit in the aforementioned screen. Nothing!
This sucks.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vinny

by vinny

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am
I have now fully charged all batteries and let it sit in the aforementioned screen. Nothing!
This sucks.
They just updated the app, release notes

Version 1.11.5
Fixes related to firmware update and failed firmware update
Fixes Reverb seatpost configure controls

Hope this fixes it.