Specialized turbo cotton tyre pressure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

paterpietfluwijn

by paterpietfluwijn

I did a few rides this winter with the turbo cottons, and I had one puncture after the other, untill I got sick of it and took them off again. But last week I had to brake really hard, and my back tire is gone, so I put the cottons back up so I could keep on riding. But in dry conditions, they are great! No punctures so far, and they feel faster than my gp 4000's. fatso of 93kg here, and around 100psi in the back, a little less in the front

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I'm using 26mm TC on Bora WTO wheels (rim version). Running them at 80 psi F/R and I weigh 65 kgs. Our roads are in pretty good condition with very little pot holes and smooth surface asphalt.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

parleez1

by parleez1

I'm currrenty riding 26mm S-Works Turbo tires on Roval Alpinist CL wheels w/Specialized Turbo tubes. Thinking of switching tires and tubes to 28mm Turbo Cottons with latex tubes. Will this make a big difference in my ride quality? Should I consider other tires as well with latex tubes?
Appreciate your input.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

90-100, depending on my weight.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

HaroldC

by HaroldC

parleez1 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 am
I'm currrenty riding 26mm S-Works Turbo tires on Roval Alpinist CL wheels w/Specialized Turbo tubes. Thinking of switching tires and tubes to 28mm Turbo Cottons with latex tubes. Will this make a big difference in my ride quality? Should I consider other tires as well with latex tubes?
Appreciate your input.
Because you can run lower pressures plus the latex tubes, you will see a noticeable difference in comfort. Way too many people here are running their tires over inflated. No need for that, unless you want discomfort and it's slower.

82kg here with 68/72 psi on 28c Turbo Cottons and Silca latex tubes.... comfortable ride, even on the aluminum Allez Sprint. And the roads around here are not smooth, full of potholes, sealed cracks and debris.

parleez1

by parleez1

HaroldC, thanks for your feedback.
How have you found the cotton turbos for flat protection and overall tire wear? Thanks

sychen

by sychen

parleez1 wrote:HaroldC, thanks for your feedback.
How have you found the cotton turbos for flat protection and overall tire wear? Thanks
Not Harold but TC flats like most super supple race tires... It's the cost of the ride quality. It's fine until it wears down to a point.. Although it looks and rides fine.. The flat frequency will increase.

And yes it wears faster than say Vittoria open corsa g2.

And use latex tubes.. Otherwise it's like having the best aero bike but wearing baggy clothing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

parleez1

by parleez1

Sychen, thanks for your input.
Do you like a particular tire better than the TC for everyday training rides? How would you compare the Vittoria open cords g3 to the TC?
Thanks again

sychen

by sychen

parleez1 wrote:Sychen, thanks for your input.
Do you like a particular tire better than the TC for everyday training rides? How would you compare the Vittoria open cords g3 to the TC?
Thanks again
Been using Vittoria open corsa g2.. They are pretty good all round. Longer wearing, good grip.. Just slightly less supple.

Also was running veloflex tubeless.. Nice for tubeless but fiddly.. And was just not getting confidence in the rubber compound (others have no issues so probably just me).

About to try Vittoria tubeless and see how those go.

End of the day.. For ultimate ride quality.. TC.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

parleez1 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:12 am
HaroldC, thanks for your feedback.
I usually get around 2-3k miles on the rears before they are worn enough to warrant replacement. They will get a small cut here and there, but as Sychen states, no more than any other pure racing tire.

I'm perfectly fine replacing the rear tire in a few months of riding given the ride quality. And latex tubes makes a noticeable improvement in ride quality. Pump it up every ride and you'll be amazed at the overall ride with latex and cotton tires.

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

Which latex tubes do most people use with them?

Maddie

by Maddie

Jwoodward wrote:Which latex tubes do most people use with them?
Vittoria for me

sychen

by sychen

Maddie wrote:
Vittoria for me
Same... Vittoria tubes.

Some people love Vredestein tubes.. But can't source locally.

GS100

by GS100

HaroldC wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm
Way too many people here are running their tires over inflated. No need for that, unless you want discomfort and it's slower.

82kg here with 68/72 psi on 28c Turbo Cottons and Silca latex tubes....
No it completely depends on your local roads, preferences, tyre size,weight etc. I'm generally between 100-120psi on vittorias G+, and G2 23-25mm. 88 kg, roads not too bad. I wouldn't presume to say your pressures are too low as you know your needs better than I do.

I will say that going down to 70 feels too low for me, even if you get comfort over the rough stuff, it feels more sluggish as soon as the road surface improves.

Not tried the TC's but given how few flats I've had with vittoria G's + latex, at the same 320 tpi, it sounds like it could be a superior tyre to the TC 🤷

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

sychen wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:42 am
Maddie wrote:
Vittoria for me
Same... Vittoria tubes.

Some people love Vredestein tubes.. But can't source locally.

Cheers, will keep them in mind for the future 👍

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com