ENVE just released a road bike?!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Raimundo

by Raimundo

raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:01 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:14 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmRvwb1KhY

Problems:
1. It is very hard to make a completely flat cut, leading to rocking on the clamp
2. Perhaps unique to Giant: the diameter of their clamp seems too large

Result:

Screenshot 2021-03-29 111313.png

How common this problem is, I couldn't say: I'm not an engineer.
Solutions:
1. No, its not hard to do a flat cut, and if one is a complete noob, either take it to someone who knos how to do it, or just stay away from ISP's.
2. If you are not comfortable with it, than shim it, just like the guy from your video did... (you can even use tubeless tape to do this)

And that screenshot of yours is what it says on the caption box, an extreme exageration.
No need for the tone, dude - I'm summarising a video [not 'my' video btw]. You're very welcome to go to the YouTube page and poke holes there.
If you felt ofended by the "tone", then i present you my sincere apologies.

On a side note, and less important than the above. Maybe you could be less speculative with tech you apparently never had to deal with, and yes, i have seen the his video a couple of months ago.

If Peak Torque had dealt with this issue in a more pragmatic way, he would have had a very boring video.

The problem would be if it was oversized. as long as it is marginally undersized, you can always find an easy solution for it.

On my latest ISP it actually came in handy. Just enough space to protect the "paint" with a layer of tubeless tape and ensure a very snug fit, i can lift the bike by the saddle even without tightning the clamp bolt, is that snug...

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

I didn't speculate at all, but even if I did, what's the issue? Are you upset because people query ISPs? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darrydonds

by darrydonds

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:12 pm
Or just buy an alloy bike with Shimano 105. No one is forcing us to buy $13000 bikes.
That's right. In an era where people buy some digital (replicable infinitely) assets for millions of dollars (see NFTs), highest-end bikes going for $13k look like nothingburger.
Last edited by darrydonds on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Cycomanic wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:01 pm
The problem is when the mast is carbon. There are reasons why pretty much everyone stopped doing it on carbon bikes. It's a stupid bandaid solution to a problem one created in the first place by not using a proper seat post. The video gives some good reasons why it's not really good idea.
I wonder, how many complain do you see from previous generation Trek Domane users (2018 etc.)?
It's also carbon on both seat tube and seat mast. In fact, this design even allow quite a good range of adjustability too since the top of the seat mast doesn't have to rest on top of the cutted seat tube. So, Trek shows that cutting seat tube to length and fill the spacer to remove the gap between top of seat tube and below head of seat mast is not even neccessary. It's essentially reversed seatpost. Where the seat mast clamp around seat tube rather than seat tube clamp around seat post.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's the same mast that has been used on the last 3 generations of Emonda. Besides clamp design issue with the superlight version made for the Emonda SLR 10, they work well. They have no issues with non-perpendicular cuts because nothing actually touches the top of the ST.

Nothing should actually touch the top of the ST of the TCR either. It's just another one of Peak Torque's dumb theoretical problem videos that doesn't happen in the real world. It's a shame because some of his content is fine, but he's fallen into the trap of being a YouTuber trying to put out engineering videos instead of being an engineer occasionally putting out videos on YouTube.

Wookski

by Wookski

raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:01 pm
Raimundo wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:43 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:14 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmRvwb1KhY

Problems:
1. It is very hard to make a completely flat cut, leading to rocking on the clamp
2. Perhaps unique to Giant: the diameter of their clamp seems too large

Result:

Screenshot 2021-03-29 111313.png

How common this problem is, I couldn't say: I'm not an engineer.
Solutions:
1. No, its not hard to do a flat cut, and if one is a complete noob, either take it to someone who knos how to do it, or just stay away from ISP's.
2. If you are not comfortable with it, than shim it, just like the guy from your video did... (you can even use tubeless tape to do this)

And that screenshot of yours is what it says on the caption box, an extreme exageration.
No need for the tone, dude - I'm summarising a video [not 'my' video btw]. You're very welcome to go to the YouTube page and poke holes there.
Classic weightweenies: proven system used extensively by custom frame builders (yes, No.22 use Enve toppers on carbon seat tubes). Video gets shared based on a different system. Speculation follows inc. reference to Trek's system. Outcome: storm in an irrelevant teacup.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Any updates; has anyone gotten a bike yet?

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

scottydonald wrote:Any updates; has anyone gotten a bike yet?
Yes and no. I received mine already …. but is in Los Angeles, and I m in Munich, Germany. COVID has stopped my usual traveling. So hopefully will be able to ride it end of November.

Currently stored at my friendly LBS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Well...that is an attractive bicycle! Congrats.

ms6073

by ms6073

Nice bike. I am somewhat confused why Enve opted to only offer the one peice bar for the new bikes based on the AR profile and not the SES road bar?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:34 pm
Nice bike. I am somewhat confused why Enve opted to only offer the one peice bar for the new bikes based on the AR profile and not the SES road bar?
I think it has to do with how their two piece fully integrated cockpit solution uses the AR bar instead of the Aero one, easier to use repurpose elements of the most current AR design instead of coming up with something entirely new? Speaking of which, it'll be great if that Aero bar received an update for fully integrated cockpit compatibility seeing as their two piece solution uses the Aero stem to begin with. Since the one piece combo is marketed with AR in the name, they could perhaps be releasing a one piece Aero combo in the future.

smeady

by smeady

Has anyone had a chance to ride one of these? I'm curious how stiff they are and how they handle.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

smeady wrote:Has anyone had a chance to ride one of these? I'm curious how stiff they are and how they handle.
I can give feedback beginning of December. Finally flying to LA to ride for 10 days.

3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Just need to have cables run through and it all b ready by Tuesday. Massive thanks to my not so local bike shop and their mechanic.

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Looks great!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc