Garmin Rally power meter pedal line-up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Crazyagain

by Crazyagain

kevinw wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:48 pm
The trainerroad forum post appears to have disapeared....

Or at least "unlisted" whatever that means?
I was wondering what happened to it as well. I cant imagine they got hit with a cease & desist order

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slake21

by slake21

the cyclingtips article is still available https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/new-gar ... pd-models/

kevinw

by kevinw

Crazyagain wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:07 pm
I cant imagine they got hit with a cease & desist order
I'm not sure why else it would be taken down? Although I hope Garmin would lead with a polite request rather than a cease and desist.

gurk700

by gurk700

Alex222 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:03 pm
I am suprised they stuck with replaceable batteries, has been the source of most the issues with the Vectors.
Yes, but it was a simple issue and was solved.

Just don't buy the new Rally's for a year or so then you should be fine after all the "bugs" are fixed :)
I have a pair of latest revision Vector 3's that work flawlessly.

splzd

by splzd

gurk700 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:00 pm
I have a pair of latest revision Vector 3's that work flawlessly.
Agreed. Had the first revisioned battery door, worked good for a couple of month. Now on the second revision, all good. Support was quick and helpful both times.
I'm looking for a SPD-PM-pedal and would've liked to see the new version with an integrated battery and USB-port for charging.

fiber

by fiber

Might be solid hardware, but it being Garmin... I'd expect to see some episodes of firmware and software comedy.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

My 830 seems to be working fine. I think Garmin is getting better. If they did deliver a trouble free product, it would arrive too late. There is a balance and when that is not handled properly, it really can go sideways. All companies do this.

mcjonesy

by mcjonesy

kevinw wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:15 pm
Crazyagain wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:07 pm
I cant imagine they got hit with a cease & desist order
I'm not sure why else it would be taken down? Although I hope Garmin would lead with a polite request rather than a cease and desist.
Their main moderator said the OP asked for the thread to be deleted rather than any cease and desist or legal threat

RDY

by RDY

Butcher wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:37 pm
My 830 seems to be working fine. I think Garmin is getting better. If they did deliver a trouble free product, it would arrive too late. There is a balance and when that is not handled properly, it really can go sideways. All companies do this.
My view on my recently acquired Garmin 830 is that it's laughably bad in function, features, UI and general usability. It has the feel of a knock-off Tamagotchi. It's absolute shite. Lack of competition is why they get away with it, though their period of complete dominance seems to be over now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The 830 is the best computer I've ever owned. It's clearly got faster hardware than any of the ELEMNT line and it has useful training metrics. It also has real navigation and reliable GPS when my GoPro is mounted directly beneath it. Once in a blue moon it will hang or even reboot, but so did my ELEMNT BOLT.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

When I look around, Garmin is used mostly by boomers while wahoo is for the young guns. Probably due to more intuiative UI
Last edited by ViperFFM on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oh that's what boomers are known for, being able to navigate unintuitive UX?

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

When I look at the 2000-2016 design of a Porsche MM system.yes
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

So.... looks like a mature design ("Vector 3+") with a very large target market when you consider pedal/cleat compatibility and swappable bodies. Even perhaps longer spindles without extra SKUs if James Huang is correct. No pods which is aesthetically preferable and a real shoe clearance issue off road.

I'm disappointed that they've gone in at the SRM X-power pricepoint but aside from that it looks like a super strong product.
Good for consumer choice; I mean what are your PM options if you want to run a Shimano crank offroad currently?

If you'd told me 10 years ago that the market was going to settle on powermeter pedals rather than hubs or cranks I'd have laughed at you but unless Shimano pull an incredibly strong Ultegra-level product out of the bag that is actually accurate I think that's the way it's going to go.
Last edited by petromyzon on Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

petromyzon wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:19 am
I mean what are your PM options if you want to run a Shimano crank offroad currently?

Single-sided Stages/4iiii.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com