Hookless tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gSporco

by gSporco

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 am
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 am
Is there a hookless tire, that is fast enough for racing, yet practical enough for road? When looking through tests of Crr (whether BRR or Aero Coach), the hookless compatible options always appear to be rather slow (compared to the fastest road tires like Conti 5k, Turbo Cotton or Pirello PZero Race.
The fastest ones I found are ZIPP Tangente Speed. Does anyone here have experience with those?
I do. They fit rather well on the 303 FC hookless wheels I had (28s measured 31mm). I wasn't over impressed with the sidewall puncture resistance. Overall, I liked that Scwalbe Pro One Addix TLE more, although it didn't look as cool. Thought it was slightly faster.
I hav a brand new set of 28mm Pro One Addix and I couldnt get them to seat in the bead (make the snapping nosise, even using a compressor at 125psi.. Everytime i deflated the tire, it collapsed to the middle, bead and all.. I gave up and threw my trust GK slicks on, well used and still no issues mounting.. I will try the Zipps if they ever become available again
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

jlok

by jlok

gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:44 am
jlok wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 am
gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 am
I know the Tan isnt as sexy as the Challege or Rene Herse, but Gravel King Slicks come in brown wall, they are approved and rock on hookless rims, pretty much bullet proof as tested by me and light at 280 grams each for a 32mm.. Im using them on my 2021 303 FS with 25mm inner hookless rims.
What is the actual width when mounted?
34.6mm, at 48 psi... But mine have been used for 6 months and swapped between 3 wheels already before landing here... They are my go to allroad endurance tire.. That being said, I would suspect brand new on a 21mm internal they would be right around 33mm'ish
Thanks! I think I need to stick with 28mm GK Slick but that's not TLC :(.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Is there a hookless tire, that is fast enough for racing, yet practical enough for road? When looking through tests of Crr (whether BRR or Aero Coach), the hookless compatible options always appear to be rather slow (compared to the fastest road tires like Conti 5k, Turbo Cotton or Pirello PZero Race.
The fastest ones I found are ZIPP Tangente Speed. Does anyone here have experience with those?
I do. They fit rather well on the 303 FC hookless wheels I had (28s measured 31mm). I wasn't over impressed with the sidewall puncture resistance. Overall, I liked that Scwalbe Pro One Addix TLE more, although it didn't look as cool. Thought it was slightly faster.
I hav a brand new set of 28mm Pro One Addix and I couldnt get them to seat in the bead (make the snapping nosise, even using a compressor at 125psi.. Everytime i deflated the tire, it collapsed to the middle, bead and all.. I gave up and threw my trust GK slicks on, well used and still no issues mounting.. I will try the Zipps if they ever become available again
They probably wont "snap" into place as there is no hump to get over. UI have some older light bicycle rims that are like this that I use for gravel and they work fine.

gSporco

by gSporco

OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:16 am
gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 am
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:
They probably wont "snap" into place as there is no hump to get over. UI have some older light bicycle rims that are like this that I use for gravel and they work fine.
Ive never encountered this with any other tubeless tire. I guess no schwalbe for me. If i flat on the road or tram to they will leave me stranded as inwont have a pump with me that will reseat them since they come undone every time they deflate
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Just carry a tubolito, no? This is going to be a risk with any tyre.

gSporco

by gSporco

petromyzon wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 am
Just carry a tubolito, no? This is going to be a risk with any tyre.
My gravel kings and Hutchinson fusions dont pop off the bead when they flat. But yeah a Tubolito would work for sure
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

nunokas

by nunokas

Hi.
I'm thinking on the pro ones and Pirelli Pzero race tlr for hookless 303 rims.
Any significant difference between them?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Schwalbe ones don't work really. Firstly I find them a little fragile for road racing and secondly, they only come in sizes up to 25mm, if I am not mistaken. I'd need 28c at least as per manufacturer's requirements. I have never read a test on the Cadex but those Pirelli's are rather slow, sadly.
Pro One TT is available as 25 and 28mm version. Wouldn't use it for road racing though. The pro one is a little slower than a GP5k in the lab, but its a better tire on the road. More supple, more grip, more confidence. Best racing tire in my opinion. 5W on a drum doesn't matter at all in road racing when you need to go around corners fast.
I could keep it a secret that our team is Schwalbe sponsored and one could therefore say my opinion is biased, but we had the option to change to Contis in 2020 though every team mate wanted to keep riding the new Pro One.
Can't say much about puncture protection though. I ride my bike all year round and don't mind using dirt roads from time to time. 30k km a year, but never had a puncture more than once or twice per year no matter which tyre.

sgergole

by sgergole

Opted for some Schwalbe Pro One TLE for my Extralite CyberDisc, hookless rim. Will very likely run them tubeless, curious to see how they behave. They are on a list of approved tyres by Extralite, want to see how they roll and will report.

Usually I ride Pirelli Velo or Conti GP5000, which are both very good and balanced, but the best overall tyre for me is still the Veloflex. I really want to try their top tyres, but their 25mm is not ETRTO approved for 20mm rims, and a 28mm version of their top tier tire (which runs like heaven) doesn't exist yet, unfortunately. I have the feeling that there will be quite a few new things this year since Zipp launched the hookles setup.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Is there any around here that has tested the ENVE SES tires on Zipp 404FC hookless wheels. They are officially not on the compatibility list, but since ENVE makes hookless rims I thought it might be safe.

For now I run the Schwalbe Pro One Tle addix and they are a fine tire. The 25mm come out at 27.6-27.8 mm and that is fine but I don't fancy the tan sidewall version of there tires ( to dark brown ). I have them on my Holdsworth and shame they are so dark. The 28mm Schwalbe's and Conti 5000S TR are to wide ( +30 mm ) for my frame so there is no option to go for the Continental - because Zipp only takes 28mm or wider Continental.

Also rode the Veloflex Corsa TLR and they are fast rolling, but the not airtight sidewalls of these tires are a bummer. Have to pump them every few days, otherwise the turn dead flat the 5th day or so. ( 60ml of sealant per tire )

The ENVE SES tires have the beautiful orange/golden sidewall and I think the 27mm will be 29mm at the Zipp 404FC I guess. Since my BMC has a max. 30mm clearance ( meassured ) it would be perfect.