Hookless tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

gSporco wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 pm
Hapsmo911 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:35 pm
Just got this email from Michelin in case anyone was curious. Also, seems that all the wheel mfg are refering you to the tire mfg for compatibility. They keep the list of know compatible tires on their sites. Some do internal testing but it seems not all. Anyway heres Michelin reaponse to the tires I inquired about.

Thanks for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team.

"I want to buy a set of your Power Road tlr tires. I just need to know if they are safe for hookless rims like the Zipp 303"

The Michelin Power Road TLR has been designed to fit hookless rims in todays market.

We hope that this issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday, or 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.
Did tou weight rhe tires by any chance? If so what was it? Also what size did you go with?
I can weigh them tonight. They are still in the box. Went with 28's. I have Gravelkings mounted on them atm on my Aspero. Was going to use the Michelin for a ride in yosemite next month on the Tarmac

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:58 pm
I can weigh them tonight. They are still in the box. Went with 28's. I have Gravelkings mounted on them atm on my Aspero. Was going to use the Michelin for a ride in yosemite next month on the Tarmac
Please due.. I am undecided on the Pro Ones as the weight is all over the place as I have read on the interwebs :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

gSporco wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:36 am
Hapsmo911 wrote:
Please due.. I am undecided on the Pro Ones as the weight is all over the place as I have read on the interwebs :)

28's

gSporco

by gSporco

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:47 am
gSporco wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:36 am
Hapsmo911 wrote:

28's
Sweet thank You
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Is there a hookless tire, that is fast enough for racing, yet practical enough for road? When looking through tests of Crr (whether BRR or Aero Coach), the hookless compatible options always appear to be rather slow (compared to the fastest road tires like Conti 5k, Turbo Cotton or Pirello PZero Race.
The fastest ones I found are ZIPP Tangente Speed. Does anyone here have experience with those?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Usernamealex

by Usernamealex

FlatlandClimber wrote:Is there a hookless tire, that is fast enough for racing, yet practical enough for road? When looking through tests of Crr (whether BRR or Aero Coach), the hookless compatible options always appear to be rather slow (compared to the fastest road tires like Conti 5k, Turbo Cotton or Pirello PZero Race.
The fastest ones I found are ZIPP Tangente Speed. Does anyone here have experience with those?
Perhaps the Schwalbe Pro One TT, Pirelli P Zero Race TLR SL, and Cadex Race?

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Schwalbe ones don't work really. Firstly I find them a little fragile for road racing and secondly, they only come in sizes up to 25mm, if I am not mistaken. I'd need 28c at least as per manufacturer's requirements. I have never read a test on the Cadex but those Pirelli's are rather slow, sadly.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

mamaphil

by mamaphil

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Schwalbe ones don't work really. Firstly I find them a little fragile for road racing and secondly, they only come in sizes up to 25mm, if I am not mistaken. I'd need 28c at least as per manufacturer's requirements. I have never read a test on the Cadex but those Pirelli's are rather slow, sadly.
Do not go Cadex. I had them stock on my Giant Advanced Pro 0 - 2021 and they were pretty fast and supple but my god were they fragile. Unless you are on super smooth roads with no debris/glass, go with something else. I am riding IRC Formula Pro X-Guard with good success. They are pretty tough and have a decent ride quality. No idea on rolling resistance but they seem fine.

GP5000 TL is still my favorite, but I can't ride those on my hookless rims : /
The Schwalbe Pro One TLE is supposed to be pretty good, but I've heard they are a bit fragile too...

I'd rather go with a slightly tougher casing and not worry (even with a 5W penalty on RR) because flatting with road tubeless is a giant PITA
Giant TCR Pro 0 - 2020
Norco Optic XT - 2021

FEEDINtheGO4T

by FEEDINtheGO4T

Does anyone know if Challenge Strada's can be used on hookless rims (specifically 303s)? I can't find anything online which says they are, but my LBS is saying that they are.

They could be a good "tan wall" option for my wheels.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

They are not on SRAM's approved tyre manufacturer list for hookless wheels, so I guess you would use them at your own risk.

I think Schwalbe do nice tanwall tyres, they are on the approved list:

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/artic ... less-rims-
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My gf and I went from 25mm Conti 5000 TL's to Enve SES tires (also 25mm) and didn't notice any drop in speed. She has hookless wheels, I don't. If anything the Enve's grip better and have a more supple ride.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

gSporco

by gSporco

FEEDINtheGO4T wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:47 pm
Does anyone know if Challenge Strada's can be used on hookless rims (specifically 303s)? I can't find anything online which says they are, but my LBS is saying that they are.

I know the Tan isnt as sexy as the Challege or Rene Herse, but Gravel King Slicks come in brown wall, they are approved and rock on hookless rims, pretty much bullet proof as tested by me and light at 280 grams each for a 32mm.. Im using them on my 2021 303 FS with 25mm inner hookless rims.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

jlok

by jlok

gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 am
FEEDINtheGO4T wrote:

I know the Tan isnt as sexy as the Challege or Rene Herse, but Gravel King Slicks come in brown wall, they are approved and rock on hookless rims, pretty much bullet proof as tested by me and light at 280 grams each for a 32mm.. Im using them on my 2021 303 FS with 25mm inner hookless rims.
What is the actual width when mounted?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:59 am
Is there a hookless tire, that is fast enough for racing, yet practical enough for road? When looking through tests of Crr (whether BRR or Aero Coach), the hookless compatible options always appear to be rather slow (compared to the fastest road tires like Conti 5k, Turbo Cotton or Pirello PZero Race.
I do. They fit rather well on the 303 FC hookless wheels I had (28s measured 31mm). I wasn't over impressed with the sidewall puncture resistance. Overall, I liked that Scwalbe Pro One Addix TLE more, although it didn't look as cool. Thought it was slightly faster.

gSporco

by gSporco

jlok wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 am
gSporco wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 am
FEEDINtheGO4T wrote:

What is the actual width when mounted?
34.6mm, at 48 psi... But mine have been used for 6 months and swapped between 3 wheels already before landing here... They are my go to allroad endurance tire.. That being said, I would suspect brand new on a 21mm internal they would be right around 33mm'ish
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com