Sram Rival AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonsinglespeed

by carbonsinglespeed

yinzerniner wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 pm

So for using the Rival arm it would need to be similar to above. You would need the plastic cap/cap nuts, and it might not fit flush with the Rival integrated spider. BCD seems the same at 107.

Same issue as above, probably worse since the design of the ends of the chainring arms don't seem to match between Rival AXS integrated spider and Red/Force removable spider.
Rival AXS is thinner and straight, while Red/Force is wider and rounded:
Thanks, I see what you mean about the shape of the end of the arms on the integrated Rival spider versus the Red/Force removable spider. I'm wondering if they will mount ok but just leave a gap or whether it will foul againts the arms prohibiting it.

I have all the plastic caps and nuts from the removable spider that came on my Red cranks that were originally 1x.
I'll see if I can make it all fit, even if it fits but looks bad aesthetically I'll be happy.

I'll report back here when I have the Rival Quarq crankset in my hands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Croder 50/37 and 48/35 107BCD chainrings for Force and Rival

I wonder if they'll fit the Rival 2x PM crank arms considering it has that shape at drive side spider?

pmprego

by pmprego

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:40 pm
Croder 50/37 and 48/35 107BCD chainrings for Force and Rival

I wonder if they'll fit the Rival 2x PM crank arms considering it has that shape at drive side spider?
They look the part. Any feedback from owners?

apr46

by apr46

I haven't ridden them yet to see how they will work in practice, but since Croder parts were mentioned. I do have a Rival 1x crank, with a regular (not wide, meant for 2x) length power spindle, Croder spider (5x110) and praxis 48/32 chainrings ready to go on a bike in the next couple of weeks.

I think you would also get the right chainline using the Force spider and rings instead of the Croder and Praxis parts shown in my photo. This might be another way to solve the ring compatibility problem while still using a Rival crank.

Ive been running the Praxis rings with an Easton EC90 crank and Bingham spider on a Force Wide setup for almost a year and I have been very happy. I use AXS chains.

Edit: I should add that minor filing was needed to make those specific Praxis rings works with the Croder spider.
Attachments
2BD90449-D51C-473C-B385-A31CD056AACE.jpeg
F7CAD72D-D6BA-4CCB-9978-F35AAE73A778.jpeg

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Hello, is there any info about the durability of the Rival cassette compared to force or 105 already?
Price for 105di2 and force with rival cassette is very compareable right now and i want to build of a new bike.

jlok

by jlok

Anyone tried to remove the plastic cover of the chainring? Or to pair the Rival AXS chainrings to the AXS Powermeter spider ( https://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram ... ter-spider )?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Eterna7m wrote:Hello, is there any info about the durability of the Rival cassette compared to force or 105 already?
Price for 105di2 and force with rival cassette is very compareable right now and i want to build of a new bike.
You can’t and shouldn’t interchange cassettes between brands.

jlok

by jlok

How about Rival cassette + Force flattop chain + 105 Di2? The Force flattop chain is heard compatible with Shimano and Campy. It's the possibly the best SRAM product these days, next to Quarq powermeters.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Strictly speaking sram chains have bigger rollers than shimano chains. Shimano chains are also more efficient.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:10 am
Strictly speaking sram chains have bigger rollers than shimano chains. Shimano chains are also more efficient.

In this test?

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-bes ... cy-tested/

I would like to see a long term test using Friction Facts’ protocol. They were testing brand new UFO treated chains and the DA chain got more efficient until hour 13, where it started losing efficiency. Meanwhile the Force AXS chain continued to get more efficient through hour 13. That makes sense as CT states the SRAM chains are manufactured to tighter tolerances and over time the inner surfaces of the rollers and link plate shoulders should 1) become polished and 2) wear looser.

By hour 13 there was only .64W between the DA and Force chain and, well, most of us put more than 13 hours into our chains.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Ah good observation, yeah a longer test would give better results.

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm
js wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am

Officially not recommended, but most 11spd chainrings seem to work. Definitely don't reuse those chainrings with an 11spd drivetrain at any point afteward.
Right, interesting, thanks! As far as I am aware there is no 12s chainring for this crankset, or is there?
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... ttop-12spd

Wolftooth (and I'm guessing others) have been maknig 1x chainrings for SRAM Flat-top chains for a while now.
Thanks! That's useful. When I bought the 11s chainring for this chainset though I was looking into Woolftooth and others got several replies saying that their chainrings aren't compatible with Sram Red 22 (despite it being standard 5-arm 110 BCD) because of the chainset's "hidden bolt", so I ended up buying the Sram chainring. I suspect it might be the same for these newer rings but definitely worth checking :thumbup:
I think the majority of weight difference comes with the "clmap"
Red 22 one was 18-19ish gram (I speculate that red axs one might be similar)
and Rival axs one is 32g according to r2. If we swap the original rival one to schmolke's or other 3rd partys lightweight clamp, we could shave 20ish gram.
520g vs 470g to 500g vs 470g.

+ what'bout shaving some material from the lever body. I mean, some grid structure on the inner side of levers, which sram deviced to fill the empty space for 2 blip ports.
I think we can cut additional 10-15g from there.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Pyotrump wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:15 am
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm
js wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm
saldegracia wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am

Right, interesting, thanks! As far as I am aware there is no 12s chainring for this crankset, or is there?
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... ttop-12spd

Wolftooth (and I'm guessing others) have been maknig 1x chainrings for SRAM Flat-top chains for a while now.
Thanks! That's useful. When I bought the 11s chainring for this chainset though I was looking into Woolftooth and others got several replies saying that their chainrings aren't compatible with Sram Red 22 (despite it being standard 5-arm 110 BCD) because of the chainset's "hidden bolt", so I ended up buying the Sram chainring. I suspect it might be the same for these newer rings but definitely worth checking :thumbup:
I think the majority of weight difference comes with the "clmap"
Red 22 one was 18-19ish gram (I speculate that red axs one might be similar)
and Rival axs one is 32g according to r2. If we swap the original rival one to schmolke's or other 3rd partys lightweight clamp, we could shave 20ish gram.
520g vs 470g to 500g vs 470g.

+ what'bout shaving some material from the lever body. I mean, some grid structure on the inner side of levers, which sram deviced to fill the empty space for 2 blip ports.
I think we can cut additional 10-15g from there.
Don't think you'll save any weight with the clamps since the HRD axs shifters all share similar styles. The rival differs from the red/force only with the washer shape

And don't think shaving material off the body will save any real weight without suffering real safety / damage consequences.

The shifter weights for axs HRD are very close - rival is only ~35g heavier than force, and force ~15g heavier than red.

AmericanTemplar

by AmericanTemplar

Just to add some actual weight differences to this thread, since it seems like the list on The Pro's Closet and Ccache seem to be the only place that they're listed and they're inconsistent with one another, I switched out my Rival cranks and cassette and lost more weight than advertised:

Rival 48/35 power meter crankset 175mm- 910g
Red 46/33 power meter crankset 172.5mm- 598g
Rival 10-36 cassette - 341g
Red 10-33 cassette - 211g

So between the 312g removed from the crankset and the 130g, I lost over a pound with just those two changes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

man1ac

by man1ac

I was doing regular maintenance on my girlfriends bike and on the test drive (never really drove her bike) I felt like the braking performance of the Rival Etap is rather "underwhelming".
(Have perfectly bleeded the brake)

What do you do for more bite on the brakes?
She drives Paceline Rotors.
Is the force Upgrade (300€ overall) worth the performance gain?